Confirmed with Link: Habs invite Joel Ward to training camp

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
1- Ward is on PTO. Not signed
2- can we watch the games and wait until the end of the camp to make a judgment ?
3- Guys like Shaw, McCarron, Froese are the ones who could be dealt
4- IF Ward is signed, he's gonna play like 40 games, maybe.... And won't cry if he stays in the stands.

1- I said IF he makes the team. I know he’s not signed.
2- Yes.
3- I was accounting for Shaw being on LTIR and McCarron and Froese being waived when I said that. Those three could all be dealt and we will still have too many wingers IF Ward makes the team. We don’t even have room for all three of Hudon / Lehkonen / Scherbak in the top nine even if Ward doesn’t make the team.
4- It’s not about how many games he plays , it’s about how it would force another player to waivers in place of a 38 year old winger on a team that has zero chance at competing this year. You can only have so many people on your roster.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
1- I said IF he makes the team. I know he’s not signed.
2- Yes.
3- I was accounting for Shaw being on LTIR and McCarron and Froese being waived when I said that. Those three could all be dealt and we will still have too many wingers IF Ward makes the team. We don’t even have room for all three of Hudon / Lehkonen / Scherbak in the top nine even if Ward doesn’t make the team.
4- It’s not about how many games he plays , it’s about how it would force another player to waivers in place of a 38 year old winger on a team that has zero chance at competing this year. You can only have so many people on your roster.
To add to your last point, I don't even think we'll carry two extra forwards so this showcases how big of a problem it already is! (I think we'll go with 8Ds due to the names involved; Benn, Schlemko, Lernout, Valiev, Despres, Ouellet, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen as possibilities + the two Czechs).

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If you can't beat Joel Ward for a roster spot, then you probably dont deserve it. It's not just Ward either, there is a **** ton of competition.
I guess it might be that some of us have no trust in the management, but I could see a guy like Julien falling in love with his vets who can play on the PK and play safe/risk free hockey. It's why we've carried guys like Armstrong & Moen for so long.

Reactions: Dagistitsyn

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Not exactly comparable per se but an interesting post I saw on the main board:
''Handling developing players well is not exactly our strong suit... were it not for an injury to Brett Connolly, Kucherov would've played out the 2014-2015 season in the AHL because of "Better playing time" -which has been exactly what we have said about Slater Koekkoek who we drafted like 7 years ago and have played less than a season worth of games. We tried that crap with Drouin and he wanted out.

Trust me... the Lightning would just birth 27 year old veterans if they could''

Now I'm not comparing the two, but this what people are talking about when they say we need to give Scherbak a chance.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
Why?Guy is washed up and over the hill.Absolutely no sense of direction.Rebuild okay maybe retool,ok play the young guys ,ok bring in some old washed up guys.One step ahead and 2 backwards

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
If we trade him this year we'll know that MB has learned a thing or two on the job...otherwise I'd rather see a youngster get that ice-time.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
So we already have about 16 forwards for 12 spots. Now let’s add another 37 year old into the mix.

Bergevin is not lying, this is no rebuild.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Wait so the reigning SC champions preferred Smith-Pelley to Joel Ward and we are inviting the cast off?

Typical

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
If we trade him this year we'll know that MB has learned a thing or two on the job...otherwise I'd rather see a youngster get that ice-time.

Yes, he learned his lesson last year by signing washed up Hemsky and Streit and then flipping them for draft picks at the trade deadline. :sarcasm:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Just what we need, another winger!

who can't score!

Having said that, if he's willing to play in Laval he'd be a good influence on the youngins.

Reactions: Tyson and PhysicX

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Joel Ward would have been nice like 5 years ago. Still a good guy to have around this young team.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Looking at our forwards depth chart, I don't see the big issue with giving Ward a PTO.
Here's a list of our right wingers:

Gallagher
Scherbak
Armia
Byron
McCarron
Froese (?)
Ward

Judging by Ward's tryout opportunity, upper management and Laval's coaching staff weren't impressed with the youngsters at the rookie camp. Ward could be a good veteran presence for the Rocket in my opinion, so I won't criticize this decision.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Nothing against Joel Ward but... why the hell is our GM going after that kind of player? I know it's just PTO. Then again, we couldn't possibly need a guy like Ward.

I just don't understand the rationale behind. Like when we gave PTOs to guys like Streit or Hemsky.

My only conclusion is that Bergevin sees some value there. And that is kinda troubling.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Looking at our forwards depth chart, I don't see the big issue with giving Ward a PTO.

Yeah, I don't think it's a big deal. Every team has players on a PTO and not all of them are shoo-ins to make the team or are impactful players. It's par for the course when camps open.

Mind you, if you're going to tank, the guy could well be a great assistant tank commander. How else are you going to get a top pick next year.

Joel Ward, woot!

Reactions: scrubadam

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
:help:At the end of training camp, MB announces Ward is the new captain, the new number one center and signed for 6 mil./yr until he reaches 40.:help:

The man with a plan you say :(!!!

MB did say after the Max trade " on prend des decisions on the fly ". Seems to me this is another one of those on the fly decisions.

Every year, the Habs try to give a chance to one or two almost done players. Last year was Hemsky. The years before that, we saw Fleischmann. The tradition keeps on going.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad