Confirmed with Link: Habs invite Joel Ward to training camp

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
He seems like a good guy but he's redundant (and washed up) here. I hope it's only to complete the roster for some intrasquad games. Given how many new players and how many interesting pieces we have, I would prefer that we invest in energy elsewhere.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yeah, I'd have no issue with it. However, it's another depth winger which isn't a need. Although, if they were to keep the kids in the minors together to grow together and go for a championship in the AHL then I'd be all for having Ward sign a contract.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He seems like a good guy but he's redundant (and washed up) here. I hope it's only to complete the roster for some intrasquad games. Given how many new players and how many interesting pieces we have, I would prefer that we invest in energy elsewhere.

Given the glaring lack of size of our lineup, a big grinder like him may push the kids around enough for some of them to grow some grit to start the season.

That's honestly the only thing I could see.

Damn we have small forwards...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I mean, I don't really care about this in the long run, I just hope that it means that they're looking at him like a vet who could help out in the minors a la Ajay Baynes or Eric Manlow, the type of vets that contributed in the minors back in our good AHL days. I would want him on an AHL only deal tho, not sure if he'd accept that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Given the glaring lack of size of our lineup, a big grinder like him may push the kids around enough for some of them to grow some grit to start the season.

That's honestly the only thing I could see.

Damn we have small forwards...
Ward in his prime would have been a solid addition but I prefer giving that token role to a guy like DLo who's younger, hungrier and a local guy.

On a different note, I think the team should look at finding more Fleischmann's than guys like Logan Shaw or washed up grinders who have nothing left to offer.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I like it. He was still a pretty effective player a few years back. If the youngster can’t outplay a 37 years old Joel Ward, perhaps they’re not ready to play fulltime in the NHL.
Well the issue here, as posters like LaP have been adament about over the years, it's that we tend to keep the guy like Ward, with no upside whatsoever based on the fact that we need someone to warm the pressbox. But if we keep sending the younger player down the waivers and he never gets his chance, then what's the point in drafting these kids?

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I like it. If he shows that he has any gas left in the tank he could be a good trading piece at the deadline and good mentor.

While I would like a full youth lineup we also need vets around to guide them and Ward is the type of guy you can take out of the lineup at any time anyway

Reactions: scrubadam

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Larry Carriere: Marc, we're short on decent defense especially the left side.
Mellanby: And we still have no experienced legit #1 or #2 centers
Lapointe: And we have too many wingers. How will I develop them?
Bergevin: (Winks at Timmins) I got it covered guys. We just picked up Ward.
Mellanby: Joel effing Ward!
Carriere: Effing A
Lapointe: Effing double A
Timmins Who the ef is Joel Ward?

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Its a PTO he may not even make the team.

Shaw/Byron are injured so there is need of some depth even with all the youngsters.

If he is on the team he could maybe be flipped for a 5th/7th rounder or something.

No problem with free assets. This team is young and we will need vets to help the guys in the dressing room on how to be a professional.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
In case of Byron not ready to play?

DnD2DniXgAAg79S.jpg:large

Looks like Byron will be ready.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I like it. If he shows that he has any gas left in the tank he could be a good trading piece at the deadline and good mentor.

While I would like a full youth lineup we also need vets around to guide them and Ward is the type of guy you can take out of the lineup at any time anyway
To play devil's advocate, what's the most a guy like Ward will fetch you realistically speaking (expecting an even bigger regression than his stats from last year)? A fifth? A fourth if you're lucky? I'd rather we keep DLo and Peca around since the payoff is bigger and they are younger if we decide we want to have them around when we start making some noise again.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Think it's more a way to show the younger kids how they have to compete in camp from a veteran. Besides him, not many vets in camp as forwards. Byron is the oldest at 29 and he has a roster spot. Like it only as motivator but rather give a youngster the spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad