Post-Game Talk: Habs in the SENS Den, Saturday Night 7pm on TSN

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Is it just me or am I the only one who prefers not to ice a full lineup for the last pre season game?

Roster is for the most part set and I'd rather not chance a freak injury before the season starts.

Yep. Lots of teams doing this. Just look at the Devils yesterday.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I dunno, man, you're going to get 30 minutes of Erik frickn Brannstrom and you're going to get a nice close look at Mr. Gonna be here 3 years MacEwen, not to mention future ring of honor inductee Josh Bailey. I am not sure how much more you could ask for.
I don't really understand all the hate Josh Bailey is getting? If you look at his career he's been a pretty good player, two seasons ago in 2021-22 he has 14-30 44pts as a bottom 6 player I think he can be useful player.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Actually it's f*** over all the people who paid money for tonight's game, myself included. It's astonishingly poor customer relations. A lot of people paid good money for tonight's game and the Sens are icing like 2-3 full time NHLers. I think Kubalik is the only one who isn't on a league minimum deal or close to it?

Why would you pay good money for an exhibition game against the Habs? You know it's likely to feature lots of non-roster players or veterans going through the motions.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I dunno, man, you're going to get 30 minutes of Erik frickn Brannstrom and you're going to get a nice close look at Mr. Gonna be here 3 years MacEwen, not to mention future ring of honor inductee Josh Bailey. I am not sure how much more you could ask for.
1696692312017.png

Why would you pay good money for an exhibition game against the Habs? You know it's likely to feature lots of non-roster players or veterans going through the motions.
Because I bought season tickets and this game is one of the games you pay for. It's not free. You pay for everything.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Because I bought season tickets and this game is one of the games you pay for. It's not free. You pay for everything.

You do get a lot of benefits for season tickets that make up for having an exhibition game included in your package. Or at least I hope you do. Otherwise, why would you not just buy single tickets?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You do get a lot of benefits for season tickets that make up for having an exhibition game included in your package. Or at least I hope you do. Otherwise, why would you not just buy single tickets?
I get 20% off concessions and generally the prices of tickets are cheaper because you're basically buying in bulk. It's just a massive disappointment and insult for DJ to do this tonight. Bad customer relations. Lots of folks are pissed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The last 1-2 games of preseason should be your full NHL lineup fine tuning things. Sending a half squad of AHL players who will likely never get a full time NHL gig is pointless. How can the coaches still be evaluating guys now? It's not realistic. The coaches know who they want on the roster.
Well they’re not evaluating much here. Strong start is paramount this year. They won’t risk a preseason injury in the last game

I get 20% off concessions and generally the prices of tickets are cheaper because you're basically buying in bulk. It's just a massive disappointment and insult for DJ to do this tonight. Bad customer relations. Lots of folks are pissed.
I’m looking forward to seeing Greig and jarventie play a lot of minutes. If I was dj I would sit brannstrom too.

Reactions: bert

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I don't really understand all the hate Josh Bailey is getting? If you look at his career he's been a pretty good player, two seasons ago in 2021-22 he has 14-30 44pts as a bottom 6 player I think he can be useful player.
I dont actually hate Josh Bailey. I don't think he has the gas to keep up with regular NHL pace. If he's signed and used in and out of the lineup I have no problem with him. I do worry he will be bad and DJ will keep putting him out there instead of letting a young guy have a chance.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Did jbd even get sent down or did the sens just put him on waivers knowing he would likely clear so they could call him up or down throughout October if need be? Did he actually get cut and sent down or has he still been practicing in Ottawa as the 8th D this week?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Who are these "lots of folks"? I can't imagine lots of season ticket holders are so short sighted as to feel disappointed.

DJ's priorities are to win as much as possible in the regular season.

Maybe he should be taking a chance of one of his top players getting injured in a meaningless game against a crappy dirty team so that you don't feel insulted?

Reactions: PlayersLtd

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think he's just trying to err on the side of caution given that his job for the first time in Ottawa is probably on the line.

His #2 and #3 centres status for opening night being up in the air probably compounds his hesitancy to dress a regular skater.

I get where you're coming from though

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Who are these "lots of folks"? I can't imagine lots of season ticket holders are so short sighted as to feel disappointed.

DJ's priorities are to win as much as possible in the regular season.

Maybe he should be taking a chance of one of his top players getting injured in a meaningless game against a crappy dirty team so that you don't feel insulted?
Well, with that logic, DJ wouldn't risk playing any of his regulars and preseason would only be used to have bottom feeders fight over the last couple of roster spots.
Anyone who paid money for tonight's game is annoyed with this garbage line up. Why pretend otherwise?

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
View attachment 749800

Obviously, I was kidding with my post; unfortunately, you don't get to see any of the top guys or even Tarasenko. You really should be excited about players like Jarventie and Greig getting tons of minutes, though. These are guys with a future, and they will get a chance to play a ton, which is my favorite part of pre-season games.

Reactions: OD99

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I dont actually hate Josh Bailey. I don't think he has the gas to keep up with regular NHL pace. If he's signed and used in and out of the lineup I have no problem with him. I do worry he will be bad and DJ will keep putting him out there instead of letting a young guy have a chance.

Besides the fact that I don't think he's good enough anymore, this is really my concern. DJ has shown over and over again that he will play worse players because of his comfort with them. As soon as Bailey is signed, we're stuck with him.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Why would you ever play your regulars against the Habs in the preseason? Those guys headhunt every year.

I was going to ask, if anyone has the habs lineup tonight on hand. If they're icing a goon squad, then I 100% support an AHL lineup tonight.

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
I do understand your point of view

Reactions: Emrasie and 2CHAINZ

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Did jbd even get sent down or did the sens just put him on waivers knowing he would likely clear so they could call him up or down throughout October if need be? Did he actually get cut and sent down or has he still been practicing in Ottawa as the 8th D this week?
He was demoted. He played in Belleville's pre-season game yesterday.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well, with that logic, DJ wouldn't risk playing any of his regulars and preseason would only be used to have bottom feeders fight over the last couple of roster spots.
Anyone who paid money for tonight's game is annoyed with this garbage line up. Why pretend otherwise?
The team doesn't owe the fans anything in the preseason. They are doing what they think is right to be ready to go when the regular season begins.

I have a package too and I would be much more disappointed if Stu or Brady or anyone in the core got injured tonight and missed significant time. Would you rather this lineup tonight or miss Stu for the first 15 home games? I mean, come on.

Greig, Jarventie, Golum, Guenette, etc...lots of interesting players out there. Shark on a scoring line.

Heck even Fizer finally gets in the lineup! I am anxious to see him against pros.

Reactions: Masked

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Besides the fact that I don't think he's good enough anymore, this is really my concern. DJ has shown over and over again that he will play worse players because of his comfort with them. As soon as Bailey is signed, we're stuck with him.
Yeah maybe but I would prefer having Bailey then Kelly, I do understand that DJ has a tendency to play older players more then he should but I think that Bailey can still help us just like Brassard did last season.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm not sure why some people are harping on the Sens not icing an NHL lineup. The lines are essentially all set at this point, most of the players have already been here for a month or longer, and we're facing one of if not the worst team in the league. Nothing to gain from playing the big boys.

Only disappointment is no Norris.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad