Rumor: Habs hire Bobrov for European Scouting

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I don't mind having this guy join the group. He has lots of experience. More eyes is good. I just hope they also keep the guys who have been doing well in recent years.
That's not necessarily true. If you have one pair of eyes and you hire three more pairs, one suffering from glaucoma, another from detached retinas, and the third from plain imbecility are you better off?

Reactions: Archijerej

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
As I said in the other thread...it's not Kakko or Lafrenière the issue. It's the 22 Euros he has drafted with the Rangers that produced close to nothing except Chytil. Some other players to wait and see like Lundqvist. But that resume isn't exactly stellar.
Even if the resume isn't stellar, he has the qualifications and the experience necessary for the position. They may not have any more resumes on top of this one with this kind of roadmap.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
What is that saying for those who are not subscribed ?

It says he played a role in the selection of Schneider and the signing of Georgiev and Panarin, even if he made blunders like Kratsov and Anderson.

It adds he's someone who has a good network and integrates advanced stats in his player evaluation.

Hughes confirms their discussing with him at the moment. So i guess he'll be hire at some point.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
Who’s to say he’s not being hired to be the Director of Scouting? Brooks speculated that it was for European scouting but he acknowledged not really knowing. Not saying he’d be a great hire for that role . . .

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Who’s to say he’s not being hired to be the Director of Scouting? Brooks speculated that it was for European scouting but he acknowledged not really knowing. Not saying he’d be a great hire for that role . . .

Wouldn't be surprised by any of:
Assistant GM
Director of Scouting
Chief European scout

I don't think he'd come just to be scout, but you never know.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Wouldn't be surprised by any of:
Assistant GM
Director of Scouting
Chief European scout

I don't think he'd come just to be scout, but you never know.
Gorton scouting staff in NYR was working like that:
- Director of Player Personnel
- Director of NA Scouting
- Director of Euro Scouting

They where no Director of Scouting and those 3 guys where working together, I don't if he will used that model here

Reactions: WinterLion and Wats

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Even if the resume isn't stellar, he has the qualifications and the experience necessary for the position. They may not have any more resumes on top of this one with this kind of roadmap.

He mostly has the ability to know Gorton. Again, WHO you know rather than WHAT.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Damn thought maybe he was the one who helped them get Shesterkin/Buchnevich.

Kratsov getting hate here but he's far from a bust IMO.

Reactions: Dutronc

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What is that saying for those who are not subscribed ?

It says that some european prospects they've taken high haven't exactly panned out.

But aside from European prospects, Bobrov had a hand in selecting Schneider.

He also scouted and helped sign undrafted Georgiev. And he also played a role in the Panarin signing.

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If we end up drafting Wright, he goes back to the OHL, one more year of development, one more U20, go refine your skills.

Won’t that apply to anyone that is drafted in the top 5?

Edmhabber

Nov 9, 2021
Damn thought maybe he was the one who helped them get Shesterkin/Buchnevich.

Kratsov getting hate here but he's far from a bust IMO.
Lots of good, tough players in the CHL, especially out west. Draft them before Eoros.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
That's not necessarily true. If you have one pair of eyes and you hire three more pairs, one suffering from glaucoma, another from detached retinas, and the third from plain imbecility are you better off?

It's no secret that Hughes wants to bolster the staff with more scouts. I think better coverage is a good thing in scouting, and different opinions are good. Obviously you need to be hiring qualified professionals who can work well in a team.... maybe they should be recruiting here! We all seem really mature and definitely knowledgable!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It's no secret that Hughes wants to bolster the staff with more scouts. I think better coverage is a good thing in scouting, and different opinions are good. Obviously you need to be hiring qualified professionals who can work well in a team.... maybe they should be recruiting here! We all seem really mature and definitely knowledgable!

He should go talk to some St.Louis Blues scouts. That team has been excellent at drafting for a decade anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad