News Article: Habs have spoken with Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Valk

Feb 27, 2002
thedrivefortwentyfive.blogspot.com
The ONLY thing we actually know, as it is from his agent's mouth: Jagr says he wants to play in Montreal, and they spoke to the Canadiens.

Now, is it true interest, or for leverage? Only Jagr and Svoboda know.

All this other stuff is pure speculation.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
That's why they got Bolland, Grabovski was miscast as a defensive center, ask any leaf fan. Leafs have improved big time.

Really, leaf fans have all of a sudden become rational adjudicators of their own fortunes and potential..... not saying you're wrong about Bolland but, please don't use Leaf fans as any type of realistic barometer.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Id love to see...

Max Pacioretty - David Desharnais - Rene Bourque
Danny Briere - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - George Parros

Maybe some alterations within the lines, but I like it.

The skill potential... it makes me cry tears of joy. It'd be so beautiful.

That said, I'm not loving Desharnais on the first line again.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Really, leaf fans have all of a sudden become rational adjudicators of their own fortunes and potential..... not saying you're wrong about Bolland but, please don't use Leaf fans as any type of realistic barometer.

they did get better though. I hate the Leafs so much but they did get better. The Clarkson and Bozak contracts stink but they did get better. Short term better.

One more move to bump Gio or DD out of the top 9 and I'm a happy camper

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Grabovski was overpaid, but not nearly as much as Clarkson is.

For the per year cost, Grabovski was $5.5M per year, while Clarkson is $5.25M ... so for the next four years Clarkson is actually cheaper. You can't count the last three years as now, and as Nonis said, they will fix that later on.

-----------
Also, I really don't take the Copper and Blue forums as nothing more than a homer forum and I doubt them vs the analysts. Besides, if you think they trashed Toronto, they trashed Montreal worse.

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
For the per year cost, Grabovski was $5.5M per year, while Clarkson is $5.25M ... so for the next four years Clarkson is actually cheaper. You can't count the last three years as now, and as Nonis said, they will fix that later on.

-----------
Also, I really don't take the Copper and Blue forums as nothing more than a homer forum and I doubt them vs the analysts. Besides, if you think they trashed Toronto, they trashed Montreal worse.

As I said, that quote was from Oilers blog Copper and Blue http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/7/6/4498032/nhl-free-agency-day-1-team-by-team-recap-winners-losers Is Copper and Blue run by fans? Sure, but I find most of their hate directed toward their own team. Derek Zona is great at picking apart stats.

Or, if you suspect that was jealousy, here's directly from Leafs fans what they think:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ent-eternal-mediocrity-nihilism-for-beginners
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/5/4496388/leafs-sign-clarkson
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/4/4493646/grabovski-bought-out-fire-nonis

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/7/5/...vid-clarkson-to-player-that-retired-at-age-33

Sure, they are just blogs, but in my experience the guys who write for Pension Plan Puppets are far more worth reading than 90% of TSN.

Clarkson might make Toronto better in the short term, but I'm not sure it's a game changer. And I don't think Bolland is quite enough to replace Grabovski. Actually, Toronto made the kind of move I dread Bergevin will try with Plekanec.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The ONLY thing we actually know, as it is from his agent's mouth: Jagr says he wants to play in Montreal, and they spoke to the Canadiens.

Now, is it true interest, or for leverage? Only Jagr and Svoboda know.

All this other stuff is pure speculation.

He's probably just using us to jack up the price on his next payday. But perhaps no one else is interested, he caves, and then actually signs here. :laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm hoping to see a thread like this some time tomorrow..

"Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Jaromir Jagr."

:yo:

If Jagr long time dream was really about playing with the Habs, he would have done a Vokoun out of himself and sign a 1 M$ contract IF the Habs were interested. Obviously exagerrating, but money, at this stage of his career, cannot be a goal especially if it's a longtime dream of his. So the fact that it hasn't been done yet means 3 possible things:

1- Habs aren't interested at all
2- Jagr couldn't care less about the Habs
3- Jagr is still really interesting in making the most money he can from this league

Take your pick.

68*

If Jagr long time dream was really about playing with the Habs, he would have done a Vokoun out of himself and sign a 1 M$ contract IF the Habs were interested. Obviously exagerrating, but money, at this stage of his career, cannot be a goal especially if it's a longtime dream of his. So the fact that it hasn't been done yet means 3 possible things:

3- Jagr is still really interesting in making the most money he can from this league

Take your pick.

I pick 1 and 3.

Apr 28, 2010

Take your pick.

I'd go with number 1. Unfortunately..

But still, anything can happen. Hoping to see MB get desperate just this one time.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal

It almost sounds as if you're suggesting that "overpaid" is not relative to the player and his abilities; you know, of course, that it is not simply a matter of one player earning more than another. Clarkson is a glorified third-liner who put up 30 goals with likely unrepeatable shooting percentages and who is overvalued for the marginal impact his physicality and pugilistic skills have on actually winning games. Grabovski, on the other hand, is a low-end tough minutes first line center; he deserves to be paid more than Clarkson because he has a greater impact on the game.

"Worse" may be an overstatement, but we deserved the drubbing for adding a useless non-hockey player and an offensive-only third-liner who has declined visibly over the last four years. Bravo to the Copper and Blue for conducting objective analysis of two teams who've made themselves worse this off-season with their acquisitions and player turnover. Comparing the writers there unfavorably to mainstream cheerleaders and misinformed media-members who think that Kane deserves Selke votes, or who don't know that Ovechkin is a right-winger, does not do justice to men who invest a great deal of time and effort into trying to research and understand the game, rather than relying on flawed perceptions and unsubstantiated narratives unquestioningly.

I take it that such a comparison was your intention with your "doubt them vs the analysts," though you may have intended to state that you reject their methodology and hockey analytics, which is a different kettle of fish.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
As I said, that quote was from Oilers blog Copper and Blue http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/7/6/4498032/nhl-free-agency-day-1-team-by-team-recap-winners-losers Is Copper and Blue run by fans? Sure, but I find most of their hate directed toward their own team. Derek Zona is great at picking apart stats.

Or, if you suspect that was jealousy, here's directly from Leafs fans what they think:
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ent-eternal-mediocrity-nihilism-for-beginners
http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/7/4/4493646/grabovski-bought-out-fire-nonis

http://theleafsnation.com/2013/7/5/...vid-clarkson-to-player-that-retired-at-age-33

Sure, they are just blogs, but in my experience the guys who write for Pension Plan Puppets are far more worth reading than 90% of TSN.

Clarkson might make Toronto better in the short term, but I'm not sure it's a game changer. And I don't think Bolland is quite enough to replace Grabovski. Actually, Toronto made the kind of move I dread Bergevin will try with Plekanec.

I strongly agree with your comment regarding Plekanec. His annual point totals are very close to the flavour-of-the-day Bobby Ryan's.

Yet the trade suggestions with Pleks are often Pleks+ and the return isn't close to what Ryan got.

We undervalue a lot of our local heroes.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
It almost sounds as if you're suggesting that "overpaid" is not relative to the player and his abilities; you know, of course, that it is not simply a matter of one player earning more than another. Clarkson is a glorified third-liner who put up 30 goals with likely unrepeatable shooting percentages and who is overvalued for the marginal impact his physicality and pugilistic skills have on actually winning games. Grabovski, on the other hand, is a low-end tough minutes first line center; he deserves to be paid more than Clarkson because he has a greater impact on the game.

"Worse" may be an overstatement, but we deserved the drubbing for adding a useless non-hockey player and an offensive-only third-liner who has declined visibly over the last four years. Bravo to the Copper and Blue for conducting objective analysis of two teams who've made themselves worse this off-season with their acquisitions and player turnover. Comparing the writers there unfavorably to mainstream cheerleaders and misinformed media-members who think that Kane deserves Selke votes, or who don't know that Ovechkin is a right-winger, does not do justice to men who invest a great deal of time and effort into trying to research and understand the game, rather than relying on flawed perceptions and unsubstantiated narratives unquestioningly.

I take it that such a comparison was your intention with your "doubt them vs the analysts," though you may have intended to state that you reject their methodology and hockey analytics, which is a different kettle of fish.

You need to post more often.

I strongly agree with your comment regarding Plekanec. His annual point totals are very close to the flavour-of-the-day Bobby Ryan's.

Yet the trade suggestions with Pleks are often Pleks+ and the return isn't close to what Ryan got.

Well, I do think Ryan is better than most of the players proposed to trade Plekanec for. I'm skeptical Ryan alone is good enough to make up for the hole that would be caused by losing Plekanec unless we then went out and immediately signed Grabovski (because no, Briere cannot replace Plekanec in any universe), but Ryan is a player I can understand gambling on. Someone like Stewart...less so.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

Geez, that pensionplanpuppets negative comment all was written by one person (aka Bower Power who has an American email address btw) with one person's opinion, and he trashed a lot of teams. The second was by Chemmy, the guy with an Alfred E Neuman avatar and all he hated was losing Grabovski. Come on, you take these two "ordinary fan" messed up goofballs opinions over TV analysts. OK you can, I don't.

The comment by Cam Charron from Leafs nation is OK with Clarkson for the now and is just concerned about his age and the length of the contract, but even Nonis just about came out and stated the same for the contract length. For the next four years it is Clarkson instead of Grabovski in the lineup and we'll see how it turns out. Thing is you can't get anywhere if all you do is sit still and do nothing.

Anyway, the original point I was stating is that Toronto is making moves to get into the playoffs while Montreal is just marking time with fillers that do not improve, and doing what, aiming for fifth place in the division? Just using only drafting to improve to win the cup is a strategy that might have worked fourty years ago, but will never win anything now except being a first round playoff exit. Even Edmonton with their three firsts overall won't progress far if all they do is nothing but sit on their picks. FA players have to be added and fit in.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore

Only those who are not flashy/big/young. Plekanec is our most efficient forward in almost all facets of the game and is one of the guy people want to deal the most. And the majority of those who want that is not because they salivate at the return we might get for that type of player, but just because they want him gone.

You need to post more often.

I second that.

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
they did get better though. I hate the Leafs so much but they did get better. The Clarkson and Bozak contracts stink but they did get better. Short term better.

One more move to bump Gio or DD out of the top 9 and I'm a happy camper

Clarkson is overated. Fringe 2nd liner. Too low hockey IQ. Leafs will regret this one.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

They are just ordinary fan blogs written by two forum posters, and I do doubt their credibility vs sports analysts. If you believe them over the analysts, then go ahead and believe that, that is your right but certainly don't push that they are more credulous than the analysts and expect people to blindly accept it.

At this point it is too early to tell what will be the right or wrong move, nobody knows for certain, but what is done is done, and the results will be what they will be.

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Clarkson is overated. Fringe 2nd liner. Too low hockey IQ. Leafs will regret this one.

Can't argue against that. But as of next season, they're still a harder team to face (although I wouldn't sign him at this price in a million time). They're less skilled though, I wonder how it will affect their offensive production on the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad