News Article: Habs have spoken with Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
How can you say that, you have a crystal ball or something? Clarkson is only 29, he can still be useful for the next 4-5 years. How can you know is gonna turn to **** at 32 years old or before?

It's only 250 000 more than Brian Gionta. And Gionta is just starting to drop now, at 33 years old. Still, for a 20 goals-40 points 2 way winger, gio contract isn't that much of an handicap.

Clarkson contract will still be manageable when he'll start to decline. We are not talking about 7.8m$ a year right here.

That's the risk with the UFA market. To get quality, you gotta pay. Or you go for ''bargain'' a la Briere, hoping a marginal player turn into a useful one. I rather the first option, or nothing at all.

You're a leafs fan in disguise...stay on your own board troll.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
HurricanesInsider AJ ‏@CanesInsider 18 min

Jagr to Canes, done.

Jagr bros need a new recruit!

042313TravelingJagrs672.jpg

Road Rage

May 21, 2010
Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 2 min

@andrewhirsh Was told Jagr speculation not true

So ... Who's next ?

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Buyouts still effect the cap - I hate when people say "oh well, buy him out and fix your mistake." It doesn't work that way, especially for teams who are close to the cap every year.

Briere was good two years ago. 62 points in 81 games including playoffs.

He had a bad year last year, sure. Still contract is better than a 7 year contract costing almost 10% of the cap.

And Clarkson wasn't on a similar pace. He was on pace for 41 points over 82 games instead of the 47 from a year before, with a ton more PP time.

Again I'm not saying Clarkson is bad. I wanted him here. Incredile 3rd liner and spot top-6 guy. But that contract is laughable. I wouldn't take it on even if they waived him in 2 years. Too much of a headache. Great player, bad situation.

No doubt that's a lot of term length for the Clarkson contract, but then again, it replaces the Grabovski contract for the first four years and that was already on the books and Clarkson is an upgrade from Grabovski. Nonis already stated he is looking more for the now, to make the playoffs, rather than five years into the future and if something has to be done now it will be. If you want a sought after free agent, you have to pay the hefty price for it. One never knows the future for sure, Pacioretty could get injured and never be the same, then Montreal is in that boat as well.

Toronto with the acquisition of Bolland, Clarkson, Bernier have improved, there is no doubt about that, and they as well as all teams also have good players coming up. Montreal meanwhile has added temporary players like Briere who is concussion prone and can get injured and sit out very easily, and Parros, who even though he can fight, can't play hockey. Not much for acquisitions, but MB does have his hands full next year in re-signing the players and will need a lot of cap space so spending a lot this year would have been very risky.

When I look at this objectively, I see Toronto having got better and Montreal just marking time. With the new division format, I see Boston, Detroit, Toronto, and Ottawa making it to the playoffs with Montreal looking like they have the fifth team in the division and possibly for a few years to come.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Clarkson an upgrade on Grabovski? No, Grabovski was their best defensive center. One 30 goal season doesn't make Clarkson a better player. Grabovski was overpaid, but not nearly as much as Clarkson is.

Toronto did nothing to solve their biggest problem, their defense. Bolland is a step down from Grabovski. Clarkson is better than Macathur, but not for the depth that contract is costing them.

Toronto has the exact same strengths and weaknesses they had last year. Will Kadri and Lupul continue to shoot at a ridiculous rate? Copper and Blue (Oilers blog) had an amazing quote about Toronto's transfer window so far:

Honestly, Toronto's day looks like an HF Boards reader got into some cocaine and was granted control of the Leafs' personnel department.

For what it's worth, the three teams they rated having the worst start of free agency were Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Makes no sense IMO after signing Briere, where does he fit in our line-up?

Right now it seems like our lines will be:
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere
Moen - White - Prust
Parros - Dumont

hogtownhabsfan*

Clarkson an upgrade on Grabovski? No, Grabovski was their best defensive center. One 30 goal season doesn't make Clarkson a better player. Grabovski was overpaid, but not nearly as much as Clarkson is.

Toronto did nothing to solve their biggest problem, their defense. Bolland is a step down from Grabovski. Clarkson is better than Macathur, but not for the depth that contract is costing them.

Toronto has the exact same strengths and weaknesses they had last year. Will Kadri and Lupul continue to shoot at a ridiculous rate? Copper and Blue (Oilers blog) had an amazing quote about Toronto's transfer window so far:

For what it's worth, the three teams they rated having the worst start of free agency were Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal.

That's why they got Bolland, Grabovski was miscast as a defensive center, ask any leaf fan. Leafs have improved big time.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

Moen - White - Prust
Parros - Dumont

Briere returns to his natural position at center, you trade Desharnais for the best offer.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008

Moen - White - Prust
Parros - Dumont

Depth is needed to win a cup, it can only help things by adding Jagr

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004

Moen - White - Prust
Parros - Dumont

Gionta is out until December and Dumont will likely be on a two-way contract anyway. Then, you add the possible injuries on top of that.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
Depth is needed to win a cup, it can only help things by adding Jagr

You think Habs are ready to win a cup this/next year? I didn't really see the need to get Briere, and, although I really like Jagr, don't really see a need for him at this point is Habs development. But he is fun to watch, so from entertainment aspect, I wouldn't mind, but strategically, I can't see it.

Habarazzi

Feb 19, 2008
Why the heck is Jagr's camp playing hardball with the Habs?

If you really want to play in MTL, sign already ..... I can see MB walking away from this real soon.:(

PricePkPatch*

because he does this every year. He's a known UFA dbag.

But once under contract, he's a great player to have on your roster and the locker room.

I don't think we should hold a player's contractual/negotiating behaviour against him, unless he was a youngster whom we might want to keep long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad