News Article: Habs have spoken with Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

HABS win CUPS*

I think having Jagr with us would be great he looked really good to me in the playoffs if a bit slow but his puck control and playmaking ability is still there - he looked like the better pickup over Iginla in the playoffs

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Like who? We don't have any kids ready to make the jump, Kristo appeared to be close but apparently was lacking character. Most of pur top 9 forward prospects are still a year or 2 out.

Thomas, Leblanc for 2. Keep cap space for a deal as well.

We're not a legit contender yet so why the stop gaps? Let's start putting some of our young guys in the line of fire

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
Dear God, is it so difficult for people to understand that Bergevin simply doesn't want him, for whatever reason? As I've written in a previous post, Jágr has his motives for wanting to play in Montreal: the most famous club in the world, the chemistry with Plekanec, he probably likes the city, he would like to finish his NHL career in Canada. Plekanec himself was quoted a few days ago that Jágr would agree with a discount (though not for 2M a year I guess, in a market where Iginla gets 6M and Alfredsson 5.5M).

The Canadiens are the only team he has ever mentioned as his preferred choice. If he really were bluffing, only acting as he's interested in playing for the Habs just to increase his price, why would he keep choosing the same club for three consecutive summers to do this? This makes no sense.

What makes sense though is that he's not coming because your GM doesn't want him. Maybe he doesn't see him as a good fit, maybe he doesn't like his personality, whatever. One should always accept the simplest and most logical explanation.

rss

Apr 12, 2013
Im really disappointed that Jagrs not gonna play with Pleky, their cooperation in Kladno this year wasa pure enjoyment. At least you have much more class than bruins fans that are trashing him all over the place...

HABS win CUPS*

Im really disappointed that Jagrs not gonna play with Pleky, their cooperation in Kladno this year wasa pure enjoyment. At least you have much more class than bruins fans that are trashing him all over the place...

I just imagine Jagr setting up Plekanec or vice versa on the PP = goal after goal after goal

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Have interest in Briere but none in Jagr...makes no sense. Briere is truly washed-up, Jagr isn't.

You know what? I bet the Bruins win the Cup if they had Briere instead of Jagr. At least he scores goals.

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
Dear God, is it so difficult for people to understand that Bergevin simply doesn't want him, for whatever reason? As I've written in a previous post, Jágr has his motives for wanting to play in Montreal: the most famous club in the world, the chemistry with Plekanec, he probably likes the city, he would like to finish his NHL career in Canada. Plekanec himself was quoted a few days ago that Jágr would agree with a discount (though not for 2M a year I guess, in a market where Iginla gets 6M and Alfredsson 5.5M).

The Canadiens are the only team he has ever mentioned as his preferred choice. If he really were bluffing, only acting as he's interested in playing for the Habs just to increase his price, why would he keep choosing the same club for three consecutive summers to do this? This makes no sense.

What makes sense though is that he's not coming because your GM doesn't want him. Maybe he doesn't see him as a good fit, maybe he doesn't like his personality, whatever. One should always accept the simplest and most logical explanation.

Get out of here with you're rational thought process. Jäger is a selfish ******* using us to get more money, get with the program :sarcasm:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
You know what? I bet the Bruins win the Cup if they had Briere instead of Jagr. At least he scores goals.

The issue is more he did not last season which brings forth concerns whether he still has anything left.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
A roster is never full when you can add a future HHoFer. Especially with the obvious being injuries are very common, having more quality players than the 19 dressed every night is a good idea. Ya Ya, he didn't score a goal in the Bruins Cup run... He is still a player other teams don't take lightly. Having him on the ice makes other teams think twice before sending out their offensive line.

I can't say this enough, Jagr at a reasonable 1 year deal, it a total no brainer.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The issue is more he did not last season which brings forth concerns whether he still has anything left.

A lot of vets had an off year. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt this season on a new team. I still think he has something left.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
A lot of vets had an off year. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt this season on a new team. I still think he has something left.

He had an off post-season and an above average regular season for a player his age. Let's not forget that he played 101 games total for 3 different teams last year. His 26 points in 34 games are very respectable and he brings loads of experience.

His chemistry with Plekanec would be enough for me to want to add him to our roster even for a year if I were Bergevin. Then again, I have the feeling that Plek is being shopped and that might just be the reason why MB isn't interested anymore.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He had an off post-season and an above average regular season for a player his age. Let's not forget that he played 101 games total for 3 different teams last year. His 26 points in 34 games are very respectable and he brings loads of experience.

His chemistry with Plekanec would be enough for me to want to add him to our roster even for a year if I were Bergevin. Then again, I have the feeling that Plek is being shopped and that might just be the reason why MB isn't interested anymore.

I was talking about Briere actually.

Jagr had a good season for a guy his age. He's also the greatest European forward to ever play and arguably a Top 5 forward of all-time.

I still wouldn't take him on the Habs though. He doesn't really fit with the style of the team.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
What the Habs need: top six RW with size and playmaking skill on a short term deal that won't affect their cap flexibility... and there's one available for no assets that has great chemistry with Plekanec, and wants to come here... and it's not done yet? Hopefully it means they're exploring trades for a younger player, otherwise it would be a shame if they didn't want to try Plekanec-Jagr next year..

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I still wouldn't take him on the Habs though. He doesn't really fit with the style of the team.

Well he'd probably be amongst if not THE best guy along the boards to get the puck and in puck protection as far as possession time. Then, you add him to Pleks and frankly, on a 1-year stint, he fits in perfectly......just before we figure out exactly WHAT style we should be playing.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
ya back in 2000-2001 season, Jagr finished 1st in points for pits that year and well MB played like **** :P

Bergevin being in the plus while used as a 5th D-Men at 35 years old is... pretty good actually.

I said that because... We don't know what happened in that lockerroom.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Dallas traded Jagr for Lane MacDermid and Cody Payne, along with a conditional second-round pick in the 2013 draft. The conditional became a 1st. That's pretty nice return for him. If Mtl can grab him and turn him into young assets if our year goes poorly or into insurance for a playoff run - I set let's do it.

Last edited:

elite1prospects

Jul 4, 2013
Bergevin being in the plus while used as a 5th D-Men at 35 years old is... pretty good actually.

I said that because... We don't know what happened in that lockerroom.

Ya he probly brought lots of character to the locker room lol

Analyzer*

Why isn't this closed?

Yet another source came out and said that Jagr isn't signing here.

Lionel Mandrake

Jagr would be a great or horrible signing depending solely on term. 1 year deal and I couldn't care less for how much, heck give him 5. Multi-year deal is a firm no from me though, no matter how cheap.

Brockoli

Jun 24, 2004
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it in the thread, but *if* MB is considering moving Plekenic that could be why he isn't interested in Jagr. It would be cool to see them play together, but maybe it won't be in Montreal.

brockoli

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Jagr would be a great or horrible signing depending solely on term. 1 year deal and I couldn't care less for how much, heck give him 5. Multi-year deal is a firm no from me though, no matter how cheap.

Wow, you guys are sure obsessed with term.

1 year 5M is fine, but 2 years at 2M would be a disaster? :help:

For the record, I wouldn't sign Jagr, but IF I have to, I take the 2y @2M 10 times out of 10.

If he's beyond horrible, you bench him/buyout with a minimal penalty on the cap. I mean, a buyout in the second year would be 0.67M on the cap for two years. That's 1% of your cap... Nobody plans with 1% precision. We don't even spend up to being 0.67M tight under the cap.

If he's bad in the first scenario, that's 5M (or 8%) of dead cap space you have there. That's almost two times your average salary (64/23 = 2.8). Could impair your ability to add pieces if the team is doing good, for example.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I would agree except Jagr not scoring had nothing to do with not getting his chances. He just couldn't bury them, but if he had nothing left he would have looked a lot worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad