Rumor: Habs Have Shown Interest in Puljujarvi

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You get top 6 play because you earn it, not because you want it.

Which is why you speak out when you feel you aren’t getting a fair shake at a top 6 spot on a bad team. It’s a double edged sword.

Dallas Eakins killed Yakupov’s career. Yakupov wasn’t even sniffing the third line while that idiot was in his position.

It’s fair to ask for trade in these circumstances, and it’s fair to be clear about what your goals are.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Which is why you speak out when you feel you aren’t getting a fair shake at a top 6 spot on a bad team. It’s a double edged sword.

Dallas Eakins killed Yakupov’s career. Yakupov wasn’t even sniffing the third line while that idiot was in his position.

It’s fair to ask for trade in these circumstances, and it’s fair to be clear about what your goals are.
Are you sure that's correct? He averaged arounds 15 minutes of ice time in EDM.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I would not want to give up too much for him. He really has not shown any sort of consistency so far in his career. Sure he has size and potential but will he ever put it all together?

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
The NHL must present the most favourable risk/reward propositions out of all the sports leagues. Of course you try to get a very recent top 5 draft pick who's 21 years old. He's even coming from an organization who has proven time and again that they devalue their assets considerably. And as soon as he shows a pulse you sign him long-term at a discount. That's how you get ahead nowadays.

What's the acquisition cost? A 3rd liner? A #4-5 D? Really? We're talking about peanuts relative to the reward. You can sign those guys every year in FA.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Maybe it’s cause he skates around with his tongue out but the kid doesn’t strike me as the sharpest knife

MaynardJames

Jul 6, 2007
Quebec
People are so fast to judge a player around here. Joe Thornton made 7 pts in 55 games in is first year so ? If you judge Puljujarvi base on last year you have a very closed mind. Hes 21, very too early to call him a bust. He need a fresh start and I would like to give him that opportunity. Not for Juulsen thou. Fleury and plus maybe.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Yaks was done the moment someone declared that he skated like he was being chased by bees.

So far, Pulju has been spared the indignity of such a hilariously accurate arrow shot his way. Until that happens, or he turns 23, he'll still have good value as a top 5 pick.

Youre insane if you think Pulju has ~top 5 pick value, Bobby Mac has already reported that he doesnt. Not even close.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
People are so fast to judge a player around here. Joe Thornton made 7 pts in 55 games in is first year so ? If you judge Puljujarvi base on last year you have a very closed mind. Hes 21, very too early to call him a bust. He need a fresh start and I would like to give him that opportunity. Not for Juulsen thou. Fleury and plus maybe.

He also did very well his 2nd and 3rd years, as a 19 and 20 year old.

Can you think of anyone who didn't do well at all in their first 3 years?

Pacioretty and Patrick Sharp are 2 players that come to mind.

It took Anders Lee nearly 5 years to make the NHL - but he was good at the end of that 5th year when he finally made it up.

Tatar also spent 4 years in the AHL.

Nyquist took 5 years to make the NHL. He got spurts in his 4th and 5th years post-draft, but wasn't able to produce much. Then took off in his 6th post-draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vachon23 and JAPPO

Omar

Oct 10, 2017

I guarantee everyone shunting Puljujarvi thought Dylan Strome was done.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Outlooks in this threads are all over the place depending on where they are gauging Puljujarvi's bust factor.

Do we have a consensus view on the player's limited hockey IQ or is there disagreement about it?

If he has the IQ of a turnip, who cares if he's 6'4 and 21, he's still a turnip.

Hockey IQ can't be fixed.

So which is it?

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't know for others, but yeah, I thought Strome was a bust too.

Then again, I can name you more busts than good stories...
Outlooks in this threads are all over the place depending on where they are gauging Puljujarvi's bust factor.

Do we have a consensus view on the player's limited hockey IQ or is there disagreement about it?

If he has the IQ of a turnip, who cares if he's 6'4 and 21, he's still a turnip.

So which is it?

It really comes down to a read on Pool Party's individual potential or lack thereof. We can find players in the past that didn't put up numbers at 21 then took off at 23, or even 24. And we can find players that were drafted high that never did squat, no matter how many opportunities they got.

Like any prospect you have to watch him and make a good projection. I haven't personally watched him enough. So really, I just need to stfu. But I am curious to hear from anyone who has.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It really comes down to a read on Pool Party's individual potential or lack thereof. We can find players in the past that didn't put up numbers at 21 then took off at 23, or even 24. And we can find players that were drafted high that never did squat, no matter how many opportunities they got.

Like any prospect you have to watch him and make a good projection. I haven't personally watched him enough. So really, I just need to ****. But I am curious to hear from anyone who has.

Totally with you on that. I haven't watched him enough to know better. I'm really at the mercy of those who have.

I've always thought that players with low hockey IQ tend to bust as it's not fixable. How accurate is this type of thinking?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Totally with you on that. I haven't watched him enough to know better. I'm really at the mercy of those who have.

I've always thought that players with low hockey IQ tend to bust as it's not fixable. How accurate is this type of thinking?

I'm no expert. But I agree.

Personally I tend to wait until they get to training camp. It's hard for me to tell who lit up junior because it was junior from those who are NHL stars.

I thought personally that Gallagher was going to be good from his first camp. He was small and slow. But fearless and knew how to always make things happen.

I always thought Sergei Kostitsyn would be good from his first camp. I think in his case it was his lifestyle off the ice that inhibited him from reaching his full potential, not his lack of ability at the NHL level.

I also thought Scherbak would be good after his first camp. In Scherbak's case, from his recent interviews, he still doesn't get that he needs to improve his 200 foot game. I think if would just focus on tightening up (as in re-learning) the 200 foot game, he could earn himself a spot on a 3rd line, and from there start to produce. But the fact that he still doesn't even see that means it's almost certainly too late in his case. But I still believe he may have the ability.

From watching development camp, I'm high on Pitlick and look forward to following him. Harris looked good, but I need to see more of him at the AHL and NHL level to see if he can handle the speed and strength of NHL players. Definitely high on Poehling. Looking forward to seeing Suzuki at this camp. I didn't see any of his game action last camp.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Youre insane if you think Pulju has ~top 5 pick value, Bobby Mac has already reported that he doesnt. Not even close.

of course I don't think that. :facepalm:

I should have included "former" - "he'll still have good value as a former top 5 pick."

being a top 5 pick, he still holds decent value. his value hasn't plummeted as much as some are suggesting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm no expert. But I agree.

Personally I tend to wait until they get to training camp. It's hard for me to tell who lit up junior because it was junior from those who are NHL stars.

I thought personally that Gallagher was going to be good from his first camp. He was small and slow. But fearless and knew how to always make things happen.

I always thought Sergei Kostitsyn would be good from his first camp. I think in his case it was his lifestyle off the ice that inhibited him from reaching his full potential, not his lack of ability at the NHL level.

I also thought Scherbak would be good after his first camp. In Scherbak's case, from his recent interviews, he still doesn't get that he needs to improve his 200 foot game. I think if would just focus on tightening up (as in re-learning) the 200 foot game, he could earn himself a spot on a 3rd line, and from there start to produce. But the fact that he still doesn't even see that means it's almost certainly too late in his case. But I still believe he may have the ability.

From watching development camp, I'm high on Pitlick and look forward to following him. Harris looked good, but I need to see more of him at the AHL and NHL level to see if he can handle the speed and strength of NHL players. Definitely high on Poehling. Looking forward to seeing Suzuki at this camp. I didn't see any of his game action last camp.

Interesting post. No matter how long we watch prospects, they can still fool us from a distance. Thing is, some of them also fool the experts.

For someone like Puljujarvi, how much of his situation is inherent vs. how much is imputable to how the Oilers allegedly mishandled him?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

So which is it?

The answer is no one knows what they’re talking about

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
of course I don't think that. :facepalm:

I should have included "former" - "he'll still have good value as a former top 5 pick."

being a top 5 pick, he still holds decent value. his value hasn't plummeted as much as some are suggesting.
Dave Chyzowski was picked 2nd overall

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
There are situations where posters have a better handle on things than they have on Puljujarvi.

I don't know, what are we chasing with this guy?

A guy who people hope can become the player he was drafted as.

You do have to wonder what Columbus saw to avoid him too though. Might not just be that they liked Dubois!

Reactions: Milhouse40

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A guy who people hope can become the player he was drafted as.

You do have to wonder what Columbus saw to avoid him too though. Might not just be that they liked Dubois!

Yeah, I said as much about Jarmo in an earlier post in this thread. Jarmo, a fellow Finn, bypassed him. What did he know that we don't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad