Habs fire director of goaltending Stephane Waite

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is pretty typical to fire a position coach when a specific position is struggling a lot.

However, if the Habs believe this is fixing that Price sucks, they might be firing the next goalie coach.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Carey Price sure is getting a lot of coaches fired because of his poor play. First Julien and Muller, now Waite. I wonder if he feels bad about it?

Reactions: Voight

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
The Waite brothers seem to know what the **** they're doing. This firing is odd to me.

Rumours has it that he couldn't Waite to get out of Montréal.

Ironic considering he left Chicago after turning Crawford into a monster for the simple reason he wanted to be closer to home.

After a year with a different guy that ended in the WCF, Chicago was like 'hey, didn't that other guy have a brother?' and brought in Jimmy. Crawford wins a 2nd Jennings on the way to a 2nd Stanley cup, and is a top 5 goalie in the league statistically til injuries take over in 2018.

Reactions: thesaadfather

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Carey Price sure is getting a lot of coaches fired because of his poor play. First Julien and Muller, now Waite. I wonder if he feels bad about it?

Well he was asked this pretty directly. Which is a little unfair imo because he didn't make the decisions to fire Muller, Julien or Waite. It's not like he's playing bad on purpose.

To answer your question yes he very obviously blames himself.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What a BS way of treating Stephane

He is too good for that organization and will find a home soon enough

Waite brothers have proven to be great coaches at position and both won cups with Hawks (2010 and 2013 for Stephane and 2015 for Jimmy)

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Bergevin's really putting his head on the line. Pressure much? If his team doesn't get to the second or third round of the playoffs, he's a goner. Good luck to the next GM with this mess of contracts!

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Bergevin's really putting his head on the line. Pressure much? If his team doesn't get to the second or third round of the playoffs, he's a goner. Good luck to the next GM with this mess of contracts!
Good luck to Bergevin when he starts another soft rebuild with shitty mess he created. This wouldn't be the first or last time Bergy gets Moulson's vote of confidence after sacrificing scapegoat.

When Canadiens had the worst record in their history after Price injury, even Michel Therrien was safe. Even some of the Montréal fans do no realize that Geoff Moulson is among the worst owners next to Dan Snyder and James Dolan, he's just super passive version of awful owner. He does nothing. He buys every lie and fallacious view Bergevin whispers.

Remember when Bergevin f'ed up the playoffs, hoarding 4th line plugs. No worries homie.

Remember when he got rid of Radulov and Markov, traded Serg for Drouin and brought in Hemsky, Streit, Alzner and extended Price 8 x 10,5? No prob, you'll get it right.

Last season Habs were 8th worst team in the league. They were shit, two eight game losing streaks and everything. Holy smokes Berg-man, we won Penguins in pity play-ins!

He built on play-ins success and aging former superstars Carey Price and Shea Weber and mortgaged the future of his team -> three coaches fired. Like he would be fired. My guess?

Another strong vote of confidence. Let's see what they have in Ducharme. 2021-2022: let's see if this is a contender. 2022-2023: oh gosh darn it, we were shit yet again. Let's rebuild. Take care of it Marc, will ya?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Wait arent you only supposed to fire someone when you lose to Ottawa???The Habs played a real solid team defensive game and played the exact way they should be playing with the makeup of their team...Tight checking low event hockey

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I cant remember but when was the last time some team that was labelled "best team in the league" went from that to firing their coaches in the same season???

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I cant remember but when was the last time some team that was labelled "best team in the league" went from that to firing their coaches in the same season???

The Senators actually were the best team in the league in 2007-2008.

John Paddock was the head coach of the East All-Star Team as the coach of the best team in the Conference at the time (when they were named).

By the playoffs, like two months later, he was fired and Bryan Murray took over himself behind the bench.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/senators-fire-head-coach-john-paddock-1.766518

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Julien lost the room. Multiple players came out making comments on him shortly before he got the axe. Muller was fired because the special teams have constantly sucked.

MillanDynasty

Oct 6, 2015
Montreal
The requirement to speak French should be gotten rid of.

You hire the best candidate for the job, and hire an interpreter if you need to.

If the team is successful, fans and some members of the media won't care.

For the media members that do care? Tough on them. They will find something to complain about anyways. If it isn't "he doesn't speak French", then it will be something else.

Problem is that Geoff Molson doesn't have the balls to get out there, face the media and tell them that's the way he'll run this ship.

It's made especially trickier when he folded like a binder back in 2011 when there were "protests" in front of the Bell Center because of interim coach Randy Cunneyworth.

And the language topic isn't the biggest issue imo. The issue is that most french speaking candidates for the coaching/GM positions right now in 2021 are god awful. That's how you end up with high school drop out Marc Bergevin who's woefully qualified for the job and then can hardly string together comprehensive sentences to justify his actions.

The Canadiens like to pride themselves as being the best Hockey Club in the league. They should probably start acting like one.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Problem is that Geoff Molson doesn't have the balls to get out there, face the media and tell them that's the way he'll run this ship.

It's made especially trickier when he folded like a binder back in 2011 when there were "protests" in front of the Bell Center because of interim coach Randy Cunneyworth.

And the language topic isn't the biggest issue imo. The issue is that most french speaking candidates for the coaching/GM positions right now in 2021 are god awful. That's how you end up with high school drop out Marc Bergevin who's woefully qualified for the job and then can hardly string together comprehensive sentences to justify his actions.

The Canadiens like to pride themselves as being the best Hockey Club in the league. They should probably start acting like one.
Anyone protesting a non-French GM or coach needs to ask themselves what is most important:

Pride in one's language or success of the hockey team?

I am English-speaking, living in an English-speaking area, and I couldn't care less if my favourite team hired someone who couldn't speak English.

The GM and coach of my favourite team can speak German, Russian, Japanese, Dothraki, or Klingon for all I care.

The performance on the ice is what is important.

Reactions: MillanDynasty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad