Habs fire director of goaltending Stephane Waite

cupface52

Jan 12, 2008
Burlington, On
I mean, it is stupid that to coach or be a GM in Montreal you have to speak French, but if you find yourself there, might as well learn. I speak 3 languages(French is not one of them) and want to learn more. Definitely the courteous thing to do if you move to a country or city where the language is not your own, but it shouldn't be a non-starter.

Not everyone cares to learn a new language, and some people have poor linguistic skills. Why spends hundreds of hours learning a skill that'll be used for 2 minutes every other day? Seems like a poor investment of time to me.

Well, let's say that we both go to Sweden. We're working and living there, 3-4-5 years and never learn to say I love you or hello? That is stupid.

Big difference, when you move to a country with a foreign language, you're going need to learn some of it to get around, hell why even move to another country if you're not going to bother learning the language. However, there's plenty of neighbourhoods/towns within Montreal like Westmount where English is the primary language.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
I agree. If I moved to Sweden, I would try to learn Swedish as quickly as possible, and English literacy is really good there.
Learning a new language isnt that easy for everyone. I took 4 years of spanish in highschool, last 2 years for college credit, and studied hard enough to memorize words enough to get a B in my classes, but i honestly could never understand the language well. Everything had to translate in my head and i could never understand what a single person was saying to me even though i knew every single word they were saying individually but my brain had to take several minutes to translate each word individually.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Learning a new language isnt that easy for everyone. I took 4 years of spanish in highschool, last 2 years for college credit, and studied hard enough to memorize words enough to get a B in my classes, but i honestly could never understand the language well. Everything had to translate in my head and i could never understand what a single person was saying to me even though i knew every single word they were saying individually but my brain had to take several minutes to translate each word individually.
Would you not at least try?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

English is my main language. I learnt a bit of French because as a kid, it’s considered a benefit here in Canada. But I don’t think coaches are going to go out of their way to learn the language while on the job. By the time they get somewhat of a grasp on it, they’ll likely be in the final moments of their tenure anyways. It doesn’t make sense for them to take extra time out of their schedule to learn another language for a few sound bites that will likely sound terrible anyways. Their focus should be all on their actual job.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why can't these rich people learn SOME french anyway? I've learned Spanish on my own and German in college, english was easy for me, learned it watching sport on tv, as a teen I was fluent in english.. French is not Chinese.. man..

Probably hard to do so while having a demanding job such as GM, coach, AGM etc.

Besides, in North America you don't really need to speak French outside of Quebec. So while increasing your knowledge and learning is always great, as a professional in NA French isn't really something you'll need or have much use for on a day to day basis.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Why can't these rich people learn SOME french anyway? I've learned Spanish on my own and German in college, english was easy for me, learned it watching sport on tv, as a teen I was fluent in english.. French is not Chinese.. man..
as long as you don't have to care about grave, aigu and circonflexe. :thumbu:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Yeah.... How's Sean french lately?

I know comments like this are posted in jest all the time - but i'll actually answer seriously.

A GM needing to speak french to be hired seems so old fashioned and unnecessary. In 2021 - there are so many ways around that. And none of those reasons have to ignore the passion of french speaking fans who want to be spoken to in french. Here are some possibilities:

1. Get hired to a multi-million$ paying job? Ok - ask him to take French lessons. How hard is that? Adults learn new languages all the time. Take a part-time course and within 6 months he should be fluent enough to have basic conversation. I don't think it's too big an ask for the money this job pays.

2. Hire a French speaking assistant GM and plan to have them do majority of interviews as a tandem, so this assistant GM can express views in French. So you still get your main guy you want who doesn't speak French - but compliment him with a French speaking assistant GM.

3. No qualified french-speaking assistant GM? Ok, great. Hire a full-time PR/French translator, with charisma. Have him shadow the GM in interviews, to help provide French content and help in interviews.

Any of the above would work.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

Do they require their players to speak French also?

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
They're really going to fire everyone except the man who's most responsible, aren't they?

Bergevin has got to go.

What do you Habs fans feel about him? Is he popular by fans in general?
Who bergy, head over to our board and look at the MB talk from the last 8 years, we hate the guy

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Hopefully Burke can keep Price playing consistently like last night. I think he's also a great guy to have for the large crop of young goalies that MTL has in their system. Burke is a real smart hockey mind, hopefully soon enough he'll get a promotion to GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad