HF Habs: Habs Draft Video (Premieres August 31st) - teaser in OP

Jul 6, 2016
I didn't want Noah Warren or Tristan Luneau last year.. but also consider who we would have drafted instead, I don't think anyone is upset with Beck, Hutson or Engstrom right now.

They tried to trade up for Gaucher (which I would have hated).

They tried to trade up for Cataford and the rumor was if they didn't make the Newhook trade they would have selected Gauthier (who I didn't want either).

They tried to move up for Bourque and Beaudin in that class too.

It might not appear on the outset that they don't care about the Q but they've certainly tried and most of the times, it would have ended poorly (except I was all on board with trying to get Mavrick Bourque and still am).
...From the most anti QHML poster on this board..... :sarcasm:

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Well the video kind of confirms one thing (to an extent): they picked Reinbacher because they believe he'll be more valuable than Michkov. It doesn't seem like nationality/risk was a big factor, it was pure prospect evaluation. I don't necessarily think they were right, but at least now we'll be able to assess that decision from a pure on-ice standpoint, and it'll be very telling of the scouting staff's quality in 5 years.

Also, to those who say that "4th round picks don't matter anyway" when discussing reaching... The habs are paying their scouts millions of dollars in total to *supposedly* be the best at their job. They've been evaluating theses prospects for 1,2 or 3 years even. They do all that work for... approximately 10 picks per year. If they "don't care" about reaching in the 4th round, what does that tell you?

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I agree

It was an easy answer
The hard part was trying to understand the question.

“You know the thing that gives you the money? Um, you tell it to give you money with a card or something. You know what I’m talking about? Well imagine there’s two old ladies blocking you from it and you really need to tell it to give you the money. Sorry, not blocking. Just sort of um standing there in that thing where people stand. Now what do you do? Wait sorry i forgot to mention a man jumps down in front of the ladies. So, what are you doing now?”

IMG_0375.jpeg

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

“You know the thing that gives you the money? Um, you tell it to give you money with a card or something. You know what I’m talking about? Well imagine there’s two old ladies blocking you from it and you really need to tell it to give you the money. Sorry, not blocking. Just sort of um standing there in that thing where people stand. Now what do you do? Wait sorry i forgot to mention a man jumps down in front of the ladies. So, what are you doing now?”

View attachment 740555

The sports psychologist guy sucks

• Wow
Reactions: Shred and ginomini

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

View attachment 740555
Jesus is that an actual quote?

There’s one thing preferring Michkov over Reinbacher. It’s quite another to be almost certain this an epic blunder.

Reactions: HabsQC

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
But hughes said he was a 2D ;-)

In a more serious note, completely agree on Reinbacher. People seems to consensually agree that it was between him and Michkov but i think the debate we have seen was probably between Reinbacher and Smith and that its not impossible in the end that they prefered Reinbacher to Smith.
In that one soundbite from Gorton, it definitely sounded like Michkov. But I'm sure they loved smith too.

If it means anything, David Ettedgui was on Marinaro's pod the other day. He said if Smith was available, Habs likely still would have went with reinbacher. They really liked him a lot so if true that's pretty cool. I always felt they would have preferred Will Smith to Reinbacher

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
In that one soundbite from Gorton, it definitely sounded like Michkov. But I'm sure they loved smith too.

If it means anything, David Ettedgui was on Marinaro's pod the other day. He said if Smith was available, Habs likely still would have went with reinbacher. They really liked him a lot so if true that's pretty cool. I always felt they would have preferred Will Smith to Reinbacher
I would’ve been thankful for that. I was worried Smith would fall and we’d take hm over Reinbacher

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
He still sounded like an entitled jock

Not suggesting anything but Patrick Roy was the definition of an entitled jock lol. Caufield also comes across as an entitled jock. Guy had barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL and he was doing mind games with the other teams goalie through the media in the playoff.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Shred

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not suggesting anything but Patrick Roy was the definition of an entitled jock lol. Caufield also comes across as an entitled jock. Guy had barely had a cup of coffee in the NHL and he was doing mind games with the other teams goalie through the media in the playoff.
I'm not one to defend Roy. I can't stand him for his underhanded way of getting out of town but Roy was never a whiner. As for Caufield, he doesn't come off as an entitled jock.

I'm not one to defend Roy. I can't stand him for his underhanded way of getting out of town but Roy was never a whiner. As for Caufield, he doesn't come off as an entitled jock.

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
I was just hoping someone was pounding the table for Benson and we still had our draft capital and perhaps a few other assets to get Benson when he slid. He is going to make NHL teams look silly for passing up on him just like Caufield did.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
100% true. Some people think that Fowler is the best G in that class. Reinbacher isn't a reach at all, he always ranked at 5-8 spot and considered the best D in this class. The only consensus player top 3 player without KHL//Russian situation is Michkov. Reinbacher is worth 100% a top 5 pick and he can easily be named on same conversation of Nemec or Jiricek. He played in pro-league and produce really really well. Habs have a good one with Reinbacher. He isn't flashy like Dahlin, but he can do everything on ice like Heiskanen and Seider can do. Only time will tell if he can reach that type of level, but he have huge potential for sure!
Many people had Fowler has one of the top goalies in the class, they got him in round 3.

Already invalidated.

Lol it was a harmless jest but let's be real, the Fowler pick was great and definitely not a reach, but...

Reinbacher was an obvious reach at 5 and was called months in advance by many here, I still think Hughes would have taken him over Smith. And don't get me wrong I love Reinbacher and I think we will be happy with him, but with the 5th overall pick it was OBVIOUS that he would be available.

It doesn't impress me that they were able to figure out that Reinbacher would be available at 5, and it really doesn't impress me that they thought Konyushkov and Xhekaj would be there in the early 4th round, if anything it is somewhat worrisome that they thought Xhekaj wouldn't be there at 101...

All of it could be selective editing anyway, I'm sure there was a range of players they wanted for each pick, and it showed no discussions about trades to move up or down for any player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Should have picked michkov
I think it's interesting to see management proven right so quickly about controlling his development. Scratched two games in a row because they know they can control him for three years. By all accounts he was great in pre-season and should be in the top six. Instead he's going to get gaslit for three years which may or may not affect his development.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Gorton definitely wanted the Russian. But he was wrong on many top picks with Rangers.

Who was the scout with the glasses talking with Riendeau about Fowler?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad