HF Habs: Habs Draft Video (Premieres August 31st) - teaser in OP

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Florina was taken solely because of his brother. His ceiling is Ryan Reaves type. Added value, it helps Wifi though. The Russian is 21 years old, 02 birthdate. Pretty slim chance he makes it. Fowler could be interesting though. He had great playoff. Sign of a money goalie. I once heard Timmins say that about Fucale too. He said he entered their dressing room when Mooseheads down 3-0 to Remparts. It was Furcale who ignited that big playoff upset. Why he picked him .

Who care? This a fourth round pick? How many fourth round make it to the NHL? People value way to much draft pick here.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Watched the video again, a few things I picked up on:

- I think Gorton and Hughes pushed the group for Michkov, but the group pushed back. This is consistent with what Hughes said when he said our scouts were unanimous on Reinbacher.
- Fowler got the handedness right on all three players, but interestingly, he called Perron a shooter when he has twice as many passes, and called Harvey a passer when he has more goals than assists (this is pure stat watching though)
- St. Louis said "you're exactly what we need" and "you're unbelievable" to Reinbacher which is some pretty nice compliments from the HOF

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
The Q crop was terrible, of course they weren't vocal.
Maybe. But What I suggest is you don’t see often Q players been selected in the first 3 round by MTL. I would take as exemple Martin Madden in Anaheim. Back to back. Noah Warren and Tristan Luneau.
Pretty sure that Audette and Boisvert never stood up for a guy like Cataford or Mackinnon on the last 3rd round. Dylan Mackinnon by the way been selected by Nashville. Who is in Nashville? jean-Philippe Glaude, a scout with influence in Nashville. This is not what I see in Montreal, an influencal Q scout. Thats it. The only one who seems talking with influence on every pick is Crister Rockstrom.

Reactions: 1909

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Maybe. But What I suggest is you don’t see often Q players been selected in the first 3 round by MTL. I would take as exemple Martin Madden in Anaheim. Back to back. Noah Warren and Tristan Luneau.
Pretty sure that Audette and Boisvert never stood up for a guy like Cataford or Mackinnon on the last 3rd round. Dylan Mackinnon by the way been selected by Nashville. Who is in Nashville? jean-Philippe Glaude, a scout with influence in Nashville. This is not what I see in Montreal, an influencal Q scout. Thats it. The only one who seems talking with influence on every pick is Crister Rockstrom.

I didn't want Noah Warren or Tristan Luneau last year.. but also consider who we would have drafted instead, I don't think anyone is upset with Beck, Hutson or Engstrom right now.

They tried to trade up for Gaucher (which I would have hated).

They tried to trade up for Cataford and the rumor was if they didn't make the Newhook trade they would have selected Gauthier (who I didn't want either).

They tried to move up for Bourque and Beaudin in that class too.

It might not appear on the outset that they don't care about the Q but they've certainly tried and most of the times, it would have ended poorly (except I was all on board with trying to get Mavrick Bourque and still am).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Seeing the entire process is interesting, they're targeting players even super far down the draft. I assumed at a certain point that they'd talk about certain players within range of a pick and go w/ the BPA, but in many instances they have go to guys even pretty far down the draft.

Honestly i don't think they have a super big list of players, i think their list is decently big but it's very targeted. Feels like they're prioritizing getting to know individual players way more than before.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I didn't want Noah Warren or Tristan Luneau last year.. but also consider who we would have drafted instead, I don't think anyone is upset with Beck, Hutson or Engstrom right now.

They tried to trade up for Gaucher (which I would have hated).

They tried to trade up for Cataford and the rumor was if they didn't make the Newhook trade they would have selected Gauthier (who I didn't want either).

They tried to move up for Bourque and Beaudin in that class too.

It might not appear on the outset that they don't care about the Q but they've certainly tried and most of the times, it would have ended poorly (except I was all on board with trying to get Mavrick Bourque and still am).
Yeah. They just tried to select those player. Instead I have the feeling that guy like JP Glaude in Nashville is maybe their best scout and thats why they select often in the Q. The guy have the pedigree behind him. War room is a battle of whose scout are giving their best arguments. Im just not sure we have the best warriors for the Q league. And I don’t want to pretend that Montreal should just select players from the Q. I have juste look about their tendency.

Reactions: bopeep

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They said that the russian would have gone in the 2nd round if he played in the NCAA.

BTW for everyone complaining about the length, how boring it was etc. Go watch other teams videos. I could only find a few and only one other that was longer than a few minutes and it was the Blues video...and that one is REALLY boring - no debate or drama...and they had 3 first round picks.
Considering the video serves a niche market, I give the Habs props for continuing to make these draft vudeos every year and put a good effort to the production and editing of it.

In terms of content, its sole purpose to shed some perspective on why they made the choices they did. Its no doubt a PR piece as why else would they make it. I think expecting anything more is a bit unrealistic. No team will disclose info that deals with other players or info that may tip off others to their thought process.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Considering the video serves a niche market, I give the Habs props for continuing to make these draft vudeos every year and put a good effort to the production and editing of it.

In terms of content, its sole purpose to shed some perspective on why they made the choices they did. Its no doubt a PR piece as why else would they make it. I think expecting anything more is a bit unrealistic. No team will disclose info that deals with other players or info that may tip off others to their thought process.

I'm sure some people expected they would have 5 minutes of the exact reasoning why they didn't pass on Michkov and then unedited footage of the Reinbacher discussion to find something they can take out of context as a "gotcha" that they knowingly passed on a generational talent for what they believed to be a #4 defenseman.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Who care? This a fourth round pick? How many fourth round make it to the NHL? People value way to much draft pick here.
I agree that we all put to much value on pick past the 2nd rd, but the guy that make it are skilled guys, not too many jr grinder that come out of the late round to be valuable NHL player… Regardless of where you pick, You want to try to pick the most impactful / valuable player available with every pick…

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The guy with the Boston accent is Billy Ryan. He was with the Panthers before. Habs brought him in last year. He's now Director of Player Evaluation and Amateur Scout.

Being Director of Player Evaluation explains why he was in the room during the player interviews.
thanks

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The lack of any real info was the info.

Complete waste of a 17 minutes.

No time spent on the only decision that mattered.
The best draft video was the Caufield draft. Teams calling in to make trades. When Habs turn to draft, Joel Bouchard goes, Caufield because of his shot. Later in Bergeron turns to Timmins, you really Fairbrother? Timmins nods his head.

Wasn't much in this '23 draft video.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Habbietat

Jul 1, 2022
iTs a poduction video guys, its a propaganda film, saying your getting anything from it is just cringe, they show you what they want you to see. Unless they putting up the video unedited or in a longer form its literally just a TV show.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I think you misspelled whiner. I really didn't like his rant about scouts not seeing his accomplishments during his amateur career. Gave me a bad feeling. I'm hoping it was just a matter of bad editing.

As for the video, meh, that was 17 minutes I'll never get back. It was a fluff piece with very little substance.
Question was about what motivates him, and the crowd seemed to dig his answer. I suppose he could have replied “climate change” or “I never really felt my dad loved me”.

We all know the only truthful answer is “to get chicks”.

• Haha
Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
If you ask a bank robber what frustrates him and he goes on a rant about cops, does that make him sympathetic?

If Fowler had answered losing frustrates me, yes I would have agreed with you. His answer about not being recognized makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

I mean... he didn't even get drafted into the USHL or OHL and he went on to win Goaltender of the year and Playoffs MVP in the USHL.

They should have recognized him earlier, I'm sure it was frustrating with how well he was playing in high school

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
One thing I did find funny was how little they talked about the projectable skills or talents of players and were more like "bro look at his stats bro". I am sure they had a real discussion off camera but the depth they went to in the video was lower effort than 50% of posters on this board.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Many people had Fowler has one of the top goalies in the class, they got him in round 3.

Already invalidated.

100% true. Some people think that Fowler is the best G in that class. Reinbacher isn't a reach at all, he always ranked at 5-8 spot and considered the best D in this class. The only consensus player top 3 player without KHL//Russian situation is Michkov. Reinbacher is worth 100% a top 5 pick and he can easily be named on same conversation of Nemec or Jiricek. He played in pro-league and produce really really well. Habs have a good one with Reinbacher. He isn't flashy like Dahlin, but he can do everything on ice like Heiskanen and Seider can do. Only time will tell if he can reach that type of level, but he have huge potential for sure!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The best draft video was the Caufield draft. Teams calling in to make trades. When Habs turn to draft, Joel Bouchard goes, Caufield because of his shot. Later in Bergeron turns to Timmins, you really Fairbrother? Timmins nods his head.

Wasn't much in this '23 draft video.
I thought the Caufield video showed just how stupid the previous management was. When they told Julien that Cole “will be a good PP player” confirmed that they drafted based on current team issues, like they did drafting Tinordi and McCarron because of the big bad Bruins and Kotkaniemi because they needed a centre right then and there. There was no long-term thinking. Luckily Cole was not just good for the PP but simply an elite player and happened to miraculously fall into their laps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad