HF Habs: Habs Draft Video (Premieres August 31st) - teaser in OP

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
That was short, and pretty light on info.

TLDR:

There was clear debate about #5 but seemed like consensus on Reinbacher being a premier D that all cup champs have. Many scouts saying his offense is high ceiling and untapped
Emphasis on Fowler, a lot actually, they liked his fire and he's top goalie everywhere he goes - they think he has starter potential for sure if you read between the lines.

Only other mentions I saw were Xhekaj, Bobrov called him Unicorn, they seem to like his package - though I'm guessing more of a meat and potatoes 3rd liner type.

They were quite high on Bogdan Russian D - said if he was an NCAA overager who did what he did he'd go early 2nd round.

Likely were thrilled they nabbed him when they did, because it seemed like they had to decide between X and him, and they got both.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Around 6:50, there's a segment where Gordon mentions how skill is difficult to get in the NHL, and how big an opportunity the 5th pick is, but then conclude with "sometimes you take a chance and it seems thought this room said no we don't want to try this chance". Really sounds like he is refering to Michkov.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Around 6:50, there's a segment where Gordon mentions how skill is difficult to get in the NHL, and how big an opportunity the 5th pick is, but then conclude with "sometimes you take a chance and it seems thought this room said no we don't want to try this chance". Really sounds like he is refering to Michkov.
I got that feeling as well. I definitely think Gorton was pro-Michkov but majority of scouts said pick Reinbacher instead

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
who was the other goalie they were talking about with Fowler, they block the name..

Or when they say Reinbacher is in front of `````` everybody agree ?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Both Gordon and Hughes also play devil advocate against the scouts (and Hughes mention it at one point in the beginning I believe) so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on their personal opinion.

Hughes and Gorton are the bosses, they have the ultimate decision. Gainey picked Price even though his scouts wanted other players.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Hughes and Gorton are the bosses, they have the ultimate decision. Gainey picked Price even though his scouts wanted other players.
They sure do, and they are accountable for it, but it doesn't mean they have (necessarily) a personal opinion on the matter. They could just be making sure their scouting staff collective recommendation is sound. That's the goal of playing devil advocate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad