Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Mike McCarron with the 25th overall pick (signs ELC, will play in OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myron Gaines*

Today's decision changes nothing for the WJC. His play at the USA summer camp in August and during the season will determine if they pick him or not.

Do you think it's less likely that they chose him now that he'll play in the OHL?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
How come they already signed him to his ELC? I understand that if he doesn't play X games, then he doesn't burn a year. But is their a possibility he plays for the habs, even if only a couple of games?

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
How come they already signed him to his ELC? I understand that if he doesn't play X games, then he doesn't burn a year. But is their a possibility he plays for the habs, even if only a couple of games?

Because he gets his signing bonus and gets to play Junior this season. Next year he's open to the AHL because he wasn't drafted out of Junior but if he returns to the Knights then his contract slides another year but he probably still makes some money from signing bonuses, depending on how his contract is structured.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Because he gets his signing bonus and gets to play Junior this season. Next year he's open to the AHL because he wasn't drafted out of Junior but if he returns to the Knights then his contract slides another year but he probably still makes some money from signing bonuses, depending on how his contract is structured.

Thanks for that. Cool that the habs are giving him a bit of spending money while he practically plays for free in London.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
yW67iGZ.jpg

MY version of the de la Rose - Crisp - McCarron line... :nod:-:yo:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm aware that he still needs to make team USA. I'm asking if he's likely to be picked

I would say that he's a lock to make it at some point, if not next wjc's then the following. From what I have read, I would think he stands a decent shot at making the wjc's next year but with lots of open roster spots he's going to need a good summer camp I would think plus a good start to the season and a good winter camp.

Do you think it's less likely that they chose him now that he'll play in the OHL?

If he didn't play in the USNDTP, then I'd say yes it would have been less likely.

I could see him playing for the Habs in preseason action now that he's signed, which he wouldn't have been able to do if he went the NCAA route.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Somehow, can we say that when Timmins and Co say that it's totally up to the player....that it's actually not true? 'Cause McCarron went to Habs and give them the ultimatum that if you want me to go to London, sign me now....and they did. I mean, tough Bergevin who keeps giving his own medicine to every player out there as far as signings and all, seems to me that seeing him play in London was MUCH MORE important that they wanted us to believe.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Watching the vid of Timmins talking about the draft, seems that the Habs AGAIN got screwed by 1 pick in the 6th round 'cause seems that Timmins would have been picking McCarron...but had to go with Nystrom since the Oilers went with Big Mac's bro. We'll see how that plays out.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Somehow, can we say that when Timmins and Co say that it's totally up to the player....that it's actually not true? 'Cause McCarron went to Habs and give them the ultimatum that if you want me to go to London, sign me now....and they did. I mean, tough Bergevin who keeps giving his own medicine to every player out there as far as signings and all, seems to me that seeing him play in London was MUCH MORE important that they wanted us to believe.

I dont really think its as "grim" as that WS ..., i really dont.. even right after he was drafted mccarron spoke very highly of the OHL/knights and how he would like to fight and not get into any trouble like if he was in the NCAA..

theres NO WAY i believe mccarron DEMANDING a ELC so that he can go to london over believing the habs like him/trust in his potential enough to give him the contract that doesnt even kick in till he turns pro, to give him a confidence boost, that they believe in his abilities enough to welcome him into the organization officially

All Mccarron did was ASK the habs for advice, and all the habs did was each and every one of the staff probably said "honestly.. id go to london, because of so and so" , if anything timmins or somebody said NCAA isnt THAT bad, but you wouldnt be able to play in preseason games and whatnot, and then theres tinordi's opinion which he must of considered heavily

it wasnt really HARD to convince the kid, hey... london knights and the OHL is where its AT kid, you can finish your degree in whatever any time you want, but if your DREAM is the NHL and the best and most viable way TO that dream is going to the OHL with a great organization, its almost a no brainer, ..id even say did anyone REALLy think he would go to NCAA? deep down, we all knew he was going to london, there was no "ultimatum"

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I dont really think its as "grim" as that WS ..., i really dont.. even right after he was drafted mccarron spoke very highly of the OHL/knights and how he would like to fight and not get into any trouble like if he was in the NCAA..

theres NO WAY i believe mccarron DEMANDING a ELC so that he can go to london over believing the habs like him/trust in his potential enough to give him the contract that doesnt even kick in till he turns pro, to give him a confidence boost, that they believe in his abilities enough to welcome him into the organization officially

All Mccarron did was ASK the habs for advice, and all the habs did was each and every one of the staff probably said "honestly.. id go to london, because of so and so" , if anything timmins or somebody said NCAA isnt THAT bad, but you wouldnt be able to play in preseason games and whatnot, and then theres tinordi's opinion which he must of considered heavily

it wasnt really HARD to convince the kid, hey... london knights and the OHL is where its AT kid, you can finish your degree in whatever any time you want, but if your DREAM is the NHL and the best and most viable way TO that dream is going to the OHL with a great organization, its almost a no brainer, ..id even say did anyone REALLy think he would go to NCAA? deep down, we all knew he was going to london, there was no "ultimatum"

Lost in translation??? "I told the Habs that if they wanted me to go to London, they had to give me a contract first."

«J’ai dit au Canadien que s’il voulait que j’accepte d’aller à London, il devait d’abord m’offrir un contrat», a confié le jeune homme de 18 ans asu cours d’un entretien téléphonique avec le Journal.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2013/07/10/une-annonce-ce-matin

I understand what you are saying. Everything is true. We all think the same. Yet, seems that the ultimatum was indeed present. Frankly, I don't care. I mean, when there's a great prospect that you prefer to see him taking a certain route, you do end up giving him a little of what he wants. I'm just surprised, that's all.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Lost in translation??? "I told the Habs that if they wanted me to go to London, they had to give me a contract first."

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2013/07/10/une-annonce-ce-matin

I understand what you are saying. Everything is true. We all think the same. Yet, seems that the ultimatum was indeed present. Frankly, I don't care. I mean, when there's a great prospect that you prefer to see him taking a certain route, you do end up giving him a little of what he wants. I'm just surprised, that's all.

Interesting.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
yW67iGZ.jpg

MY version of the de la Rose - Crisp - McCarron line... :nod:-:yo:

Oh yeah, the Demolition line ! The answer to the late Legion of Doom line... was there even one like that since Leclair - Lindros - Renberg ? I remember when Habs played against the line of Leafs, Ponikarovsky - Sundin - Antropov, huge, huge line, but didn't inspire the same 'fear' Lindros line had.

Anyway, twould be fun :laugh:

Peter Puck

Sep 10, 2005
I think there is a big advantage to offering your 1st round picks an ELC very soon after they are drafted. If they don't sign this first offer then you can wait and see if they bust. If they do you get a 2nd round pick as compensation. Of course, no one wants them to bust, but this is a possible insurance when picking a guy who is a long term project.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Watching the vid of Timmins talking about the draft, seems that the Habs AGAIN got screwed by 1 pick in the 6th round 'cause seems that Timmins would have been picking McCarron...but had to go with Nystrom since the Oilers went with Big Mac's bro. We'll see how that plays out.

Not sure, all he said was his bro was on their draft list. He may have been on it after Nystrom.

I think there is a big advantage to offering your 1st round picks an ELC very soon after they are drafted. If they don't sign this first offer then you can wait and see if they bust. If they do you get a 2nd round pick as compensation. Of course, no one wants them to bust, but this is a possible insurance when picking a guy who is a long term project.

Huh...you only get the compensation 2nd if he doesn't sign an ELC.

More Mark Hunter quotes:

http://www.lfpress.com/2013/07/11/michael-mccarron-picks-knights-over-michigan-broncos

“I wanted McCarron but I missed on him,†Hunter said. “I was really upset, so upset that I missed him that I couldn’t sleep that night.â€

“He’s a power forward with soft hands,†said Mark Hunter, “really soft hands for a big man.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad