Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I've never been a big fan of Nattinen, he needs to get quicker and improve his offensive game imo. Crisp seems more like a mix of Turner Stevenson, as he's likely much tougher then Nattinen, but both are big body forwards that are not very quick skaters. I will say in the little I saw, I was impressed with Crisp's defensive play (plus he was a regular on the PK) so it's something that I will be looking at in the future. Looks like he could have the tools to be a solid 4th liner some day or better if he can get quicker while improving his overall game. Crisp is looking like an interesting pick for sure.

Agreed on Nattinen.

Nattinen just doesn`t have an impressive skillset and isn`t physical enough to play on the bottom lines. Basically a slower Enqvist....

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I've never been a big fan of Nattinen, he needs to get quicker and improve his offensive game imo. Crisp seems more like a mix of Turner Stevenson, as he's likely much tougher then Nattinen, but both are big body forwards that are not very quick skaters. I will say in the little I saw, I was impressed with Crisp's defensive play (plus he was a regular on the PK) so it's something that I will be looking at in the future. Looks like he could have the tools to be a solid 4th liner some day or better if he can get quicker while improving his overall game. Crisp is looking like an interesting pick for sure.

I agree on Naatinens offense, but the guy is just so smart. I'm rooting for him. He's got a huge body, he's strong and has a good stick. I feel like when he's 27-28, if he doesn't bolt, he can be an asset to a playoff team.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

My feelings exactly about Crisp, but I did like Naatinen's play with Finland in his last outing for the WHC's.I think Crisp could be a sleeper pick if his skating improves quite a bit.:nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Agreed on Nattinen.

Nattinen just doesn`t have an impressive skillset and isn`t physical enough to play on the bottom lines. Basically a slower Enqvist....

yea it would be better if he used that big frame better. Really liked Engqvist in Hamilton but perhaps next season we will see Nattinen step up.

I agree on Naatinens offense, but the guy is just so smart. I'm rooting for him. He's got a huge body, he's strong and has a good stick. I feel like when he's 27-28, if he doesn't bolt, he can be an asset to a playoff team.

I root for them all, it will be interesting to see how it goes for him next season since it's a contract year for him. It would be great if he could turn into a decent bottom pairing forward for us, he needs to get quicker, more involved physically and add some offensive punch to his game. But he does have size and he's solid in his own end.

My feelings exactly about Crisp, but I did like Naatinen's play with Finland in his last outing for the WHC's.I think Crisp could be a sleeper pick if his skating improves quite a bit.:nod:

Crisp I didn't mind his skating, just that he's a little lumbering, he won't be known for his speed at least at this point.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If you observe just stats alone, Connor Crisp and Matt Martin had a very similar first two seasons in the OHL. Martin is one of the premier 4th line players based on his physicality and also his ability to score from time to time.

Matt Martin:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96752

Connor Crisp:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130613

In Martin's third year he had an offensive explosion for a point-per-game, while still putting up 100+ PIMS.

If Crisp can develop along this same path, he could end up being an excellent 4th liner for years to come.

I'd be quite happy if Crisp developed into being Montreal's Matt Martin.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
“I think he’s a very well-rounded player. He understands the game, and he’s a very smart player,†explained the Erie bench boss, pointing out that Crisp has exceptional puck handling and skating skills to go along with a hard-nosed approach to the game. “For a big guy, he’s very composed with the puck. Connor understands that goals are scored right around the net. He likes to go around that area. He’s very skilled at deflecting the puck. It’s something he works on in practice because he understands that if he were to make a living at the game, that’s where he really needs to get. He takes a lot of pride in that area of the game and wants to get better at it.â€

“Connor spends an endless amount of time in the weight room and it’s all on his own. A lot of Junior-age players don’t have that drive,†mentioned Knoblauch

Cool article on crisp

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=677714&navid=DL|MTL|home

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I root for them all, it will be interesting to see how it goes for him next season since it's a contract year for him. It would be great if he could turn into a decent bottom pairing forward for us, he needs to get quicker, more involved physically and add some offensive punch to his game. But he does have size and he's solid in his own end.
Yes, poor choice of words by me. I guess what I mean is that he's a pet cat of mine. I love his intangibles but I agree that this is the year he's got to step up. I feel he's one of those players that will show more on a good team or in a better league, like Leblanc. Hamilton should be pretty good this season, so I'm looking for a great year from him.

Back to Crisp, he's an interesting pick for sure. It will be really fun to follow the OHL this season, as we have a few good prospects there for once. And by "follow the OHL" I obviously mean "follow HabsfanThat". LOL

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This is an "under the radar" type of player because of injuries. He has excellent size, surprising hands. The next couple of years will be interesting to see how he develops.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
This is an "under the radar" type of player because of injuries. He has excellent size, surprising hands. The next couple of years will be interesting to see how he develops.

Absolutely agree.

It is funny to read the reactions to his being drafted earlier in this thread.

His goal is to make it to the 4th line of the Habs, bring a physical presence and score the occasional goal.

Pretty much what everyone has said that they want on the team......a tough guy willing to fight while not hurting the team.

I am still positive about this pick!!!

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I really like Matt Martin, developing into a great physical bottom liner. Would be fun if Crisp could develop the same way.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I wonder if we're going to witness a Crisp vs McCarron fight of the titans at training camp...

Dagistitsyn said:
Blunden is actually a good skater for his size. One of the only things he's not bad at really

Blunden is a perfect example that size and speed don't guarantee a good player.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I wonder if we're going to witness a Crisp vs McCarron fight of the titans at training camp...

Blunden is a perfect example that size and speed don't guarantee a good player.

Hope it turns into a wrestling match. Dont want to see one or the other KOed.:laugh:

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Absolutely agree.

It is funny to read the reactions to his being drafted earlier in this thread.

His goal is to make it to the 4th line of the Habs, bring a physical presence and score the occasional goal.

Pretty much what everyone has said that they want on the team......a tough guy willing to fight while not hurting the team.

I am still positive about this pick!!!

Well, I don't think people aren't happy about the player so much as #71 being a tad early to be targeting guys who likely have a 4th line ceiling. Targeted drafting of guys like this is a bit of a crap shoot, common 4th liners were drafted from all over the board, so it seems a bit odd to me to prioritize grit over skill so early.

I'm not really whining about it because it's a dead horse, we had a ton of picks, and it's not like we were passing up on somebody can't miss at #71, but you can still often find more skilled players at that spot and they're usually easier to project (and are a bigger reward if they pan out).

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I have a feeling we could have pick this guy in 6th-7th round...

Seriously? You're sure that no other team would have drafted him before the 25th pick of the 6th round? Another thing: I believe the Habs didn't have a 7th round pick in 2013 (did you forget George Parros?).

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Well, I don't think people aren't happy about the player so much as #71 being a tad early to be targeting guys who likely have a 4th line ceiling. Targeted drafting of guys like this is a bit of a crap shoot, common 4th liners were drafted from all over the board, so it seems a bit odd to me to prioritize grit over skill so early.

I'm not really whining about it because it's a dead horse, we had a ton of picks, and it's not like we were passing up on somebody can't miss at #71, but you can still often find more skilled players at that spot and they're usually easier to project (and are a bigger reward if they pan out).

At the time of the draft there was people saying the Sabres wanted to draft him next, even other teams. Third round 1st/2nd liner offensive potential very rarely pan out, it's actually pretty common to draft gritty 3rd liner in the third round.

Also Timmins said he believes Crisp has untaped offensive potential, he didn't come into the OHL as a fighter, even in his first OHL fight last season the commentators were surprised to see him fight, he was drafted in the OHL as a high pick with good offensive potential.

HW who can play hockey (even on a fourth) and fight are very rare, we haven't had one on the Habs for a long time.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Seriously? You're sure that no other team would have drafted him before the 25th pick of the 6th round? Another thing: I believe the Habs didn't have a 7th round pick in 2013 (did you forget George Parros?).

Pretty sure we traded for Parros after the draft, that 7th pick is probably in 2014

Edit: Nvm, I was wrong I guess

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
The draft is really a crap shoot. How many busts are there? Why does a player like Subban get drafted in the 2nd round? These are kids that haven't developed yet and these scouts are going with their hockey knowledge/experience and gut when picking them.

I wanted Keegan Kanzig in last draft (huge goon dman). He was suppose to be in the 6th round-7th round range, perfect spot to gamble on this type of player. The kid goes in the 3rd round a few picks before Crisp. The Flames thought he was worth the gamble and if it works out they got a huge stay at home D that can drop them against anyone.

As for the Habs, I didn't even know who Crisp was so if the Habs brass took him this early you know they thought another team had him on their radar. He looks like a good character type player that all teams need when they are grinding it out in the playoffs.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
McDavid with 1g 5 a in a 6-3 win today. Crisp wasn't playing....and here goes my theory that McDavid is a product of Connor....:sarcasm:

elite1prospects

Jul 4, 2013
Pretty sure we traded for Parros after the draft, that 7th pick is probably in 2014

Edit: Nvm, I was wrong I guess

We traded our 7th in 2013 for a 7th in 2014, then traded the 2014 7th for parros, can't remember you we swaped picks with tho

Edit:just looked it up and it was actually Florida's pick we swaped with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad