Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
if he has improved his skating I see him fiting in on the second, if skating is still his weak link then 3rd line for him

i haven't seen him since last season, so i don't know how much his skating has improved. hopefully we get some reports from rookie camp.

Top line LW if he clicks well with Campagna and Baptiste. He'd be a perfect fit for that line as he'll open up space for them. If not, he'll be second line LW with Kahun and Kubalik, again another good fit for him. Can't see him being in the bottom six as he's arguably Sudbury's best left winger.

Thanks, would be great if he can get top line ice time. He's someone I will try to keep a close eye on next year.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I just want to see him make the NHL just so both our goalies can get injured and somehow he finds himself in net , once again :sarcasm:.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I see Crisp as essentially a plus version of him. Simply put, I'd be shocked if Silk overtook him in the lineup for an extended period of time, Crisp is the better player in my opinion.

Not imo, but they're different players, so I guess we'll see. Also, your wording is weird, since I believe it will be up to Crisp to overtake Silk (an incumbent Sudbury top-6'er and alternate captain) in the lineup.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
From what I saw in camp, no, it didnt really look like he improved his skating. still pretty lazy when it comes to his skating back into the defensive zone. I dont mean to s*** all over your prospect and sudbury's new player, just was a bit disappointed with him. He has one hell of a shot and is still a beast around the net, just needs to round out his game.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
From what I saw in camp, no, it didnt really look like he improved his skating. still pretty lazy when it comes to his skating back into the defensive zone. I dont mean to s*** all over your prospect and sudbury's new player, just was a bit disappointed with him. He has one hell of a shot and is still a beast around the net, just needs to round out his game.

Don't worry....we all bash the players we used to have and then gets traded or leaves....you are not the first one....;)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

that's interesting because from what I've read his rep is as being a very hard working player. Did you see a lot of him or was it just one or 2 days - you never know he might have been nursing an injury or ill or something. Or he was just dogging it . . . :D

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
that's interesting because from what I've read his rep is as being a very hard working player. Did you see a lot of him or was it just one or 2 days - you never know he might have been nursing an injury or ill or something. Or he was just dogging it . . . :D

It could have something to do with the fact he's a veteran at a phase in training camp that is meant for the rookies - and he knew he was being traded.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC

I went to all four days of training camp, so I got a pretty good look. From what I've heard he's a very hard worker off the ice, and like I said he has a lot of positives to his game, just seemed like he was being very lazy on the backcheck.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I have only seen a little of him from last season, but from what i saw I was impressed with his defensive game, he looked good on the PK and seemed like a hard working player. But the skating will need a good bit of work, which could take a few years to improve if at all.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I have only seen a little of him from last season, but from what i saw I was impressed with his defensive game, he looked good on the PK and seemed like a hard working player. But the skating will need a good bit of work, which could take a few years to improve if at all.

Yeah like I said he works very hard, pretty good positionally on defense, I would hope Sudbury doesnt use him on the PK because of his lack of speed. If his skating improves could see him being a 3rd or 4th liner someday.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah like I said he works very hard, pretty good positionally on defense, I would hope Sudbury doesnt use him on the PK because of his lack of speed. If his skating improves could see him being a 3rd or 4th liner someday.

If he plays smart positionally and works hard consistently then his lack of speed shouldn't keep him off the PK. Wasn't he a regular on the PK with Erie?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If he plays smart positionally and works hard consistently then his lack of speed shouldn't keep him off the PK. Wasn't he a regular on the PK with Erie?

No, in fact the only time I remember him being used on the PK was the last game of the season against Guelph. Erie used McDavid, Brown, Pettit, and Labardo on the PK.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Id agree with that. PK is more positioning and stick positioning and willingness to block shots, sacrifice your body more than foot speed.

Hell Radek Bonk was slow as molasses but was a pretty good Pker

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No, in fact the only time I remember him being used on the PK was the last game of the season against Guelph. Erie used McDavid, Brown, Pettit, and Labardo on the PK.

I can't remember what game I saw, it was towards the end of the season but he was on the PK for sure and seemed to do it well.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Not imo, but they're different players, so I guess we'll see. Also, your wording is weird, since I believe it will be up to Crisp to overtake Silk (an incumbent Sudbury top-6'er and alternate captain) in the lineup.

It's odd that you call Silk a "incumbent Sudbury top-6'er" because I primarily remember Silk playing on the third line with Huether and Kantor after the Leivo trade.

Sure, he did get some time in the top six, but he didn't exactly perform to level that I think most would expect him to after his strong sophomore year.

As for Silk and Crisp being different players, I'm going to have to disagree. Crisp is bigger and more of a fighter, but both have similar strengths (like their play down low, fairly complete games, gritty style) and similar weaknesses (puck skills, skating, and streakiness). I find them to be fairly similar players. :dunno:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Id agree with that. PK is more positioning and stick positioning and willingness to block shots, sacrifice your body more than foot speed.

Hell Radek Bonk was slow as molasses but was a pretty good Pker

Darche was similar in that regard also....

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It will be interesting to see how Connor does this week. Big guy with some grit and skill

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
It's odd that you call Silk a "incumbent Sudbury top-6'er" because I primarily remember Silk playing on the third line with Huether and Kantor after the Leivo trade.

Sure, he did get some time in the top six, but he didn't exactly perform to level that I think most would expect him to after his strong sophomore year.

He's leadership, played up to the top 6 last year, and has been doing the NHL development camp tour. Hard to imagine him not starting off where he ended up - Crisp or no Crisp.

As for Silk and Crisp being different players, I'm going to have to disagree. Crisp is bigger and more of a fighter, but both have similar strengths (like their play down low, fairly complete games, gritty style) and similar weaknesses (puck skills, skating, and streakiness). I find them to be fairly similar players. :dunno:

I don't find Silk's skating to be nearly as noticeably bad as Crisp's (I certainly haven't seen it mentioned as something for him to work on in camp/junior blogs, etc, unlike Crisp), but I only have limited viewing of Crisp and am going a LOT by guys I talk to regularly in the scouting biz. "Word on the street" says that Silk's skill set is slightly more rounded out in just about every department (in my viewing, I'd give the edge in stuff like "net presence" and maybe "hands in close" to Crisp), but you won't see him ramp up the physical/nasty nearly as much as Crisp.

Habsoil

Mar 24, 2012
Fort mac
3 points in 2 GP lovin this guy. Bergey wanted character, well he got it with potential!
Hated the pick in june, loving it more every day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad