Confirmed with Link: Habs draft Connor Crisp with the 71st overall pick (info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I wonder if we're going to witness a Crisp vs McCarron fight of the titans at training camp...

I hope they save the energy and focus on playing a good two-way game without killing or maiming teammates.

Blunden is a perfect example that size and speed don't guarantee a good player.

Chicago drafted Blunden in the 2005 Entry Draft, although he was ranked @ #27 in McKenzie"s picks from the scouts, the Hawks picked the RW @ #43. In Blunden the Habs have a player whose offensive potential, never reached expectations. The upside being, he's learned how to be a safe player defensively and to play all three forward positions, all before becoming a Hab/Bulldog veteran.

Blunden while having some skill, size and speed, didn't have instinct or vision to complement his abilities. He will never be the PWF Chicago envisioned, but he will be a utility type forward (AHL/NHL 13th forward/PK) for the Habs that's a "Safe Player"

At least until Michael Bournival or Jacob De la Rose take Eller's job running the 3rd line and White's center spot on the 4th line. I expect quite a battle for one of those center position's from Bournival, Blunden, Dumont, Naatinen, St-Pierre and White.

All the while the Bulldogs will have good prospects at every position vying to become A Hab in the Pre-season Training Camp & Exhibition games next month. It's sure a good feeling knowing the QMJHL is already playing exhibition games and Hab exhibition games are being broadcasted in September :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Christian Thomas will win the fans over quickly with his play, tantalizing player. Along with Gallagher, players that won't give up and win many battles due to that attitude and hard work. RW for the Habs is another position with huge competition, Thomas by no means has an easy path into the Hab lineup.:nod:

Sven Andrighetto, Daniel Briere, Mike Blunden, Gabe Dumont, Mike Bournival, Stefan Fournier, Brendan Gallagher, Brian Gionta, Pat Holland, Louis Leblanc, Travis Moen and Brandon Prust will vie for the 4 RW positions, 9 won't make it unless it's as a 13th player which should be George Parros's RW place.:nod:

So truly it's 12 players trying out for 4 RW positions, that's depth when their are 3 quality players fighting for one position available. This is where the hard work of Bergevin, Dudley and Timmins really shows their smarts. Injuried, bruised, tired overworked players will finally have time to rest and recover properly. Also the additions of Parros as the enforcer and Briere as an offensive sparkplug/mentor the Habs could take a serious run at the SC for the 1st time since 1993.:nod:

If that happens having depth players of Blunden's size and abilities, that can step into their lineup will give the Habs a fresh team. A team that is capable of playing 4 grinding 7 game playoff series if necessary, we'll see how close the Habs are next spring. So whichever direction the Habs flow, they are getting stronger this season once more and Price will give them great goaltending before and after the Olympics, IMO.:nod:

I'm not going to bet against the Habs that's a certainty and with Price playing great in front of this team anything is possible.:handclap:

Zathronas

Aug 10, 2012
Montreal
Chicago drafted Blunden in the 2005 Entry Draft, although he was ranked @ #27 in McKenzie"s picks from the scouts, the Hawks picked the RW @ #43. In Blunden the Habs have a player whose offensive potential, never reached expectations. The upside being, he's learned how to be a safe player defensively and to play all three forward positions, all before becoming a Hab/Bulldog veteran.

Blunden while having some skill, size and speed, didn't have instinct or vision to complement his abilities. He will never be the PWF Chicago envisioned, but he will be a utility type forward (AHL/NHL 13th forward/PK) for the Habs that's a "Safe Player"

At least until Michael Bournival or Jacob De la Rose take Eller's job running the 3rd line and White's center spot on the 4th line. I expect quite a battle for one of those center position's from Bournival, Blunden, Dumont, Naatinen, St-Pierre and White.

All the while the Bulldogs will have good prospects at every position vying to become A Hab in the Pre-season Training Camp & Exhibition games next month. It's sure a good feeling knowing the QMJHL is already playing exhibition games and Hab exhibition games are being broadcasted in September :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Christian Thomas will win the fans over quickly with his play, tantalizing player. Along with Gallagher, players that won't give up and win many battles due to that attitude and hard work. RW for the Habs is another position with huge competition, Thomas by no means has an easy path into the Hab lineup.:nod:

Sven Andrighetto, Daniel Briere, Mike Blunden, Gabe Dumont, Mike Bournival, Stefan Fournier, Brendan Gallagher, Brian Gionta, Pat Holland, Louis Leblanc, Travis Moen and Brandon Prust will vie for the 4 RW positions, 9 won't make it unless it's as a 13th player which should be George Parros's RW place.:nod:

So truly it's 12 players trying out for 4 RW positions, that's depth when their are 3 quality players fighting for one position available. This is where the hard work of Bergevin, Dudley and Timmins really shows their smarts. Injuried, bruised, tired overworked players will finally have time to rest and recover properly. Also the additions of Parros as the enforcer and Briere as an offensive sparkplug/mentor the Habs could take a serious run at the SC for the 1st time since 1993.:nod:

If that happens having depth players of Blunden's size and abilities, that can step into their lineup will give the Habs a fresh team. A team that is capable of playing 4 grinding 7 game playoff series if necessary, we'll see how close the Habs are next spring. So whichever direction the Habs flow, they are getting stronger this season once more and Price will give them great goaltending before and after the Olympics, IMO.:nod:

I'm not going to bet against the Habs that's a certainty and with Price playing great in front of this team anything is possible.:handclap:

Unless some of the kids seriously outplay the veterans, there won't be any battles for spots this year. We pretty much have our roster locked in already if only because of the one way contracts.

It still will be interesting to see the youngin's this year, especially since we didn't really last year.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
The draft is really a crap shoot. How many busts are there? Why does a player like Subban get drafted in the 2nd round? These are kids that haven't developed yet and these scouts are going with their hockey knowledge/experience and gut when picking them.

I wanted Keegan Kanzig in last draft (huge goon dman). He was suppose to be in the 6th round-7th round range, perfect spot to gamble on this type of player. The kid goes in the 3rd round a few picks before Crisp. The Flames thought he was worth the gamble and if it works out they got a huge stay at home D that can drop them against anyone.

As for the Habs, I didn't even know who Crisp was so if the Habs brass took him this early you know they thought another team had him on their radar. He looks like a good character type player that all teams need when they are grinding it out in the playoffs.

If I were you, I wouldn't try to overread what the flames scouting dept does. They are one of the worst in the industry.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
McDavid with 1g 5 a in a 6-3 win today. Crisp wasn't playing....and here goes my theory that McDavid is a product of Connor....:sarcasm:

i see what you did there :)

McNextOne, i mean mcdavid is the real deal. Solid player.

I hope Crisp gets a shot at an injury free year and we see what we have going forward. Until then he and Mc C should stay apart :)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
i see what you did there :)

McNextOne, i mean mcdavid is the real deal. Solid player.

I hope Crisp gets a shot at an injury free year and we see what we have going forward. Until then he and Mc C should stay apart :)

With the way that line went yesterday, McDavid, Brown and Burakowsky seems a match made in heaven. I guess we'll see Crisp and Fox playing together. Might not be bad.

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
If I were you, I wouldn't try to overread what the flames scouting dept does. They are one of the worst in the industry.

As I said, for a 3rd round pick, Kanzig was taken way too early. He was projected for the 6th-7th round. Just like how many people think Crisp would have been available in the later rounds.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
As I said, for a 3rd round pick, Kanzig was taken way too early. He was projected for the 6th-7th round. Just like how many people think Crisp would have been available in the later rounds.

Maybe Crisp was very well liked amongst the NHL scouts?

He was not very much talked about on blogs or on the boards, that's for sure.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Maybe Crisp was very well liked amongst the NHL scouts?

He was not very much talked about on blogs or on the boards, that's for sure.

I think Timmins understands the importance of always taking the player that he considers the BPA. There is no way of knowing if another team likes a certain player as much as you do. It only takes 1 of the remaining 29 teams to like the player as much as you do. I guarantee you there was at least one team that was pissed when we selected Crisp.

Remember that Timmins would be well aware of other teams potential interest just by their continued presence at his games.

Analyzer*

It was rumoured that he would be. Feel sorry for him. Sudbury sucks. Not talking about the team, but the city.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It was rumoured that he would be. Feel sorry for him. Sudbury sucks. Not talking about the team, but the city.

Not sure the team is any better....we'll see. Would have been fun to follow and McDavid and him on the same team even if he would not have been playing together.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Sad to see Connor go. Best of luck to him. I've heard Sudbury is a pretty crappy city but they will probably be one of the better teams in the east this season.

Dada

May 12, 2012
sucks for McDavid, he can say goodbye to nb 1 spot in 2015 draft now

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For me, the biggest issue is that I think this is a horrible step for Crisp's development. Sudbury has the pieces to contend, but a terrible coach. Paul Fixter is a great guy, but he couldn't develop a blister if you spotted him a nail file.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
For me, the biggest issue is that I think this is a horrible step for Crisp's development. Sudbury has the pieces to contend, but a terrible coach. Paul Fixter is a great guy, but he couldn't develop a blister if you spotted him a nail file.

I don't think Erie has a great track record in the coaching/management dep't either. Erie needs help on the blueline big time....fills a need.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't think Erie has a great track record in the coaching/management dep't either. Erie needs help on the blueline big time....fills a need.

For sure. I was hoping he would move somewhere with high-end coaching.

It still seems like an overpayment by Erie. Perhaps they remember Genovese tangling with McGuire a couple times. Fearless kid. But really a bottom pairing guy on most teams.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
For sure. I was hoping he would move somewhere with high-end coaching.

It still seems like an overpayment by Erie. Perhaps they remember Genovese tangling with McGuire a couple times. Fearless kid. But really a bottom pairing guy on most teams.

The guy had a career GAA over 13.00 for **** sakes, I'm surprised he had any value at all.

:sarcasm:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Sudbury seems to have the edge in that deal, in my opinion. I don't think Genovese is anything more than a 4th defenceman, but he does bring a unique element to Erie's backend.

For Crisp this means that while he won't get to play with the likes of McDavid, Strome, Fox, Brown, and Burakowsky, there's a very good chance he'll see top minutes along with lots of PP and PK time.

I don't follow Sudburry, any of their fans want to take a stab at where Crisp projects to be in the lineup?

Top line LW if he clicks well with Campagna and Baptiste. He'd be a perfect fit for that line as he'll open up space for them. If not, he'll be second line LW with Kahun and Kubalik, again another good fit for him. Can't see him being in the bottom six as he's arguably Sudbury's best left winger.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
For Crisp this means that while he won't get to play with the likes of McDavid, Strome, Fox, Brown, and Burakowsky, there's a very good chance he'll see top minutes along with lots of PP and PK time.

Top line LW if he clicks well with Campagna and Baptiste. He'd be a perfect fit for that line as he'll open up space for them. If not, he'll be second line LW with Kahun and Kubalik, again another good fit for him. Can't see him being in the bottom six as he's arguably Sudbury's best left winger.

Is Pancel, an alternate captain and one of the top scorers, not back for his overage year? I thought he was, and if he is it's hard to imagine him bumped out of the top 6. He might not even be able to jump above Brody Silk [who is supposedly doing well in NHL development camp(s)] despite being the one of the two who got drafted this summer, and if someone else like Desrochers has a breakout draft year, then it's hard to imagine Crisp anywhere except the bottom 6 in Sudbury.

Basically, I don't think it would be a terribly strong argument propping Crisp up as Sudbury's best LWer.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Is Pancel, an alternate captain and one of the top scorers, not back for his overage year? I thought he was, and if he is it's hard to imagine him bumped out of the top 6. He might not even be able to jump above Brody Silk [who is supposedly doing well in NHL development camp(s)] despite being the one of the two who got drafted this summer, and if someone else like Desrochers has a breakout draft year, then it's hard to imagine Crisp anywhere except the bottom 6 in Sudbury.

Basically, I don't think it would be a terribly strong argument propping Crisp up as Sudbury's best LWer.

Which development camps is Brody Silk attending? I have a curiosity about this kid as I knew his dad Dennis growing up. His father was a beast and for the life of me I can't figure out how his career could have only lasted 2 seasons with the Wolves.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Which development camps is Brody Silk attending? I have a curiosity about this kid as I knew his dad Dennis growing up. His father was a beast and for the life of me I can't figure out how his career could have only lasted 2 seasons with the Wolves.

Detroit and Boston as far as I know. He'll more than likely be sent back down to junior for Sudbury's big push for an Eastern title, regardless of whether or not he impresses anyone at the camp(s). Both he and his dad were second round picks for the Wolves, which is kinda cool.

Last edited:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto

Pancel's a only '94, so it won't be his overage season. Pancel is more of the same in Sudbury's top six which also contains Campagna, Kahun, and Kubalik. Really only Baptiste plays a hard-nosed game, but he struggles with consistency in that regard. Crisp brings something very unique to the table and something that the Wolves' desperately needed. I think he'd look great alongside Campagna and Baptiste.

As for Silk (who sustained a shoulder injury in Russia recently, but the extent is known AFAIK), I see Crisp as essentially a plus version of him. Simply put, I'd be shocked if Silk overtook him in the lineup for an extended period of time, Crisp is the better player in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad