GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Um fyi 6.5 for parayko is on par he was our best dman compare his stats to any of your dmen and he is on top.
Problem is the length of his contract and back injuries. nothing against the dman himself. Back injuries for taller players on the other side of thirty are a recipe for disaster even if he's fantastic now

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner

Marner and Liljegren for Cernak and Cirelli
Marner for Kempe and Danault
Marner, (1.5-2.5M retained), Holmberg for Theodore, Korczak 1st this year or 2025 2nd
Marner for Keller & McBain

Rielly

Rielly, Jarnkrok for Karlsson (2.5M retained) and 2025 4th
Rielly for Weegar - He's a Western Canadian kid - 1.5 hr flight to Vancouver
Rielly for Bjorkstrand
Rielly for Soucy and/or Garland

Tavares (assume all of these proposals after the Leafs pay his bonus)

Tavares for McBain
Tavares for 2025th 2nd round pick (trade to Caps)
Tavares ( 3-4M retained) for Ryan Hartman & 2025 5th
Tavares and OTT 7th 2024 for Hamonic, Forsberg & 2025 3rd (FLA) - this saves OTT real $

Reactions: Rare Jewel

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Problem is the length of his contract and back injuries. nothing against the dman himself. Back injuries for taller players on the other side of thirty are a recipe for disaster even if he's fantastic now
We have gone round and round on this he has played 90% of his games he missed a small portion with his back injury he was great this year. He played 80 79 82 games in past three years. He plays 23- 24 mins a night. He has got 6 years at 6.5 at age 30.

All 3 argument are bogus. Good try though. Also he isnt forsale

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Nashville was notably looking for a big time player in the previous draft.

Wonder if Marner would be a fit.

Marner for Askarov, Fabbro, 1st. Gives the Leafs an elite goalie prospect to pair with Woll. A good young RHD and a 1st that can be used to move for a defender/the cap needed to sign some FA defenseman.
Lots of picks as well.

And possibly one of the places he'll take a lower AAV.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
One D I would look at would be Zach Whitecloud, nice all around RD. Vegas may want the cap room and can slide Korczak into that role and save a couple million.
Maybe they want a cheap forward like Robertson back? They are light on scoring wingers up front.

Reactions: mapleleafs34

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Mitch for Brady.

Helps Ottawa make the playoffs. See if Brady can play a playoff style.

How many pitchforks out of 10 is that worth? :laugh:
I would do it in a heartbeat but Ottawa is not trading their young, tough, cost-controlled captain for a pouty playoff choker who likely wouldn't waive his NMC to go to anyway

To Toronto-
Theodore
Karlsson
Roy

To Vegas-
Marner
Liljegren
Robertson

Resign Domi
Sign Matt Roy
Sign Dylan Demelo

Knies-Matthews-Domi
McMann-Karlsson-Nylander
Grebyonkin-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Dewar-Holmberg-Reaves

Rielly-Roy
Theodore-Demelo
Benoit-McCabe
Love it but Reilly on that first pair over Theodore is the only problem I see. Theodore instantly becomes our #1D

Reactions: Avilaj07

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Marner-Bedard would be a great line in the regular season, until Mitch the Bitch returns to postseason form.

I don't get wanting to trade Rielly. The entire problem with him is save for a year of Jake Muzzin, the Leafs haven't had another top pairing D man. They currently only have 2 top 4 D as it is.

McCabe-Jones
Rielly-X
Benoit-Liljgren

That's a group where if you can get a Luke Schenn type has everyone in a proper place. Two top pairing guys you can put together when the going gets tough, two top 4 guys as their regular partner, and 2 bottom pair guys thatre no longer playing above where they should be
Regarding Rielly, perhaps your best defensemen should have a clue how to defend?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
There are 3 options

1. Let him walk for nothing
2. Trade him
3. Sign him

As Mirtle said today, option 3 might be the worst option. I agree.
Option number two, all day long………

The Muskoka Five is back with a vengeance (Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Rielly). :laugh:
Sad but true, perhaps that could be whittled down to the Muskoka two………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Marner for Askarov, Fabbro, 1st. Gives the Leafs an elite goalie prospect to pair with Woll. A good young RHD and a 1st that can be used to move for a defender/the cap needed to sign some FA defenseman.
One year of Marner isn’t getting you anything close to that, it would have to be a sign and trade and pigs will fly before that happens imo…..……

One D I would look at would be Zach Whitecloud, nice all around RD. Vegas may want the cap room and can slide Korczak into that role and save a couple million.
Maybe they want a cheap forward like Robertson back? They are light on scoring wingers up front.
I was thinking he could be a potential target too……..

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

I think a team like Nashville would be a good fit for a Marner trade. It would likely be an attractive market for him, that team needs another high-end offensive player and has an extra goalie to deal, and they can absorb the cap. The problem is, I think they would trade Saros before Askarov, and frankly the Leafs would be better off taking Saros now rather than the prospect.

Reactions: TMLAM34

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Askarov would be a dream, no way Nashville trades him though. They’ve already come out and said they’d listen on Saros.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Askarov would be a dream, no way Nashville trades him though. They’ve already come out and said they’d listen on Saros.
Agreed. It makes no sense for them to trade the younger goalie. It also makes no sense for the Leafs to acquire the younger goalie given the objectives here (i.e., to win now).

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Option number two, all day long………

Sad but true, perhaps that could be whittled down to the Muskoka two………
Agreed even at 75 cents on the dollar. I watched the Rangers/Canes game last night and I thought no way Mitch and Nylander to a lesser extent, thrive in that game. I saw all the top players willing to get hurt to make a play. All I can is see both bringing their best perimeter games.

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I think a team like Nashville would be a good fit for a Marner trade. It would likely be an attractive market for him, that team needs another high-end offensive player and has an extra goalie to deal, and they can absorb the cap. The problem is, I think they would trade Saros before Askarov, and frankly the Leafs would be better off taking Saros now rather than the prospect.

I think it depends on how close Nashville thinks they are. They sort of surprised this year.

They hold all the cards here obviously so if they think they can keep making a push, they may want to hold on to Saros. Whether or not that makes Askarov available is another story...

For the Leafs, we're not in a position of power when it comes to goaltending. Not much available on the market either.

If they can snag a guy like Askarov in addition to Woll and sign a solid veteran presence like a Talbot/Stolarz/Brossoit short term,the potential is there.

Sounds like they are leaning two vets surrounding Woll though. Maybe one of the above and a Joneslike 3rd. Maybe even Jones.

horner

May 22, 2007
I think we have to be realistic that Marner is not going to do us any favors. If he agrees to lift his NMC it will be for the destination he wants to go, not the team that will give Toronto the best return.

So the question is not what can we get for Marner. It's what can we get for Marner from the team he's willing to go to, and is that worth more than the cap space he represents or the cost of resigning him.

What cities do you think he'd be willing to go to?
I think Berube will be our next coach
Unless marner comes to management and ask for a trade to said team he won't go anywhere.

JT will be of the books next year that's alot of cap to keep building your defence.

They will see what happens in the playoffs before signing him.

Hopefully the new coach can bring out the best in our team .

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ottawa can't afford both Chychrun and Chabot. There's a deal in there somewhere with multiple players to balance cap limitations. Chabot + Batherson -> Lily + Marner.

Ottawa needs to make the playoffs. Paul can drive to Kanata to keep an eye on Mitchy.
Chychrun, Pesce, Montour are all good options to explore in the offseason.

Reactions: ToneDog

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

I wonder if ROR and Schenn would be for or against Nashville trading for Marner - the coach/GM would presumably ask them for as much intel as possible.

Reactions: JKG33 and horner

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
You guys comfortable paying Saros around 8m in a Marner for Saros trade? Awfully risky for goaltenders these days. On paper it seems like a good idea for both sides, Saros + 1st + d-man or forward.. but look at Sorokin/Hellebyck this playoffs, both paid terribly and both just start their 8m contract this October.

Reactions: horner

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Thankfully I’m not the GM.
But, how can you actually say Defense and Goaltending is the playoff issue with this team?

Sure, we need our starter to be better and/or healthy.
Sure, we could use a weapon from the point.

But we basically played flawless defensive hockey for 3 straight games. (The forwards are apart of that defensive success)

It’s quite clear that getting a top end goalie and high end blue liner will make this team better. (It would make any team better who lacks in those areas). But we’re still glossing over the fact that our 11M+ core ain’t scaring a single team into line matching issues.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Whitecloud would be a perfect partner for Rielly IMO. Another 4 years at 2.75 mil too, sign me up!

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Marner

Marner and Liljegren for Cernak and Cirelli
Marner for Kempe and Danault
Marner, (1.5-2.5M retained), Holmberg for Theodore, Korczak 1st this year or 2025 2nd
Marner for Keller & McBain

Rielly

Rielly, Jarnkrok for Karlsson (2.5M retained) and 2025 4th
Rielly for Weegar - He's a Western Canadian kid - 1.5 hr flight to Vancouver
Rielly for Bjorkstrand
Rielly for Soucy and/or Garland

Tavares (assume all of these proposals after the Leafs pay his bonus)

Tavares for McBain
Tavares for 2025th 2nd round pick (trade to Caps)
Tavares ( 3-4M retained) for Ryan Hartman & 2025 5th
Tavares and OTT 7th 2024 for Hamonic, Forsberg & 2025 3rd (FLA) - this saves OTT real $
Lots of interesting trade proposals. For Marner, the one that I could see happening would be with Arizona/Utah. Smith will be wanting to make this team both exciting and a playoff contender. Marner fits the bill there., and we get two good players (I'm talking out of the side of my mouth here because I do not know these players' stats) to help balance out the lines. Also, we get out from under Marner's next contract demands as well as his disappearing acts in the playoffs.

I can't see Tampa doing it because those two players are signed for quite a few years at very reasonable contracts. As for the Kings, they already have PLD for the next 8 years (yikes), so I cannot imagine they would want Marner and what his next contract will be. I am not familiar with either the team or players with the other one.

I think if Rielly is willing to go anywhere, it would be either Vancouver or Seattle.

I think Tavares wants to stay, and I don't blame him if he does. It's his right to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad