Post-Game Talk: Habs dominated by Wings -- Lose Home Opener 4-2

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Imagine we had 12 high career season last season with no major injuries and missed playoffs.

Our team is even worst than last season and people expect that we are wildcards lol.

We are 1 major injury away from bottom 5. We all know none of these players will get an better season. Even Carey Price cant save this team anymore. I'm still wondering why he has not asked for a trade.

Its amazing how you can always tell what types of fans people are as early as game 5 of 82.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Have you watched the games?
Mete has not been bad at all. Him and Weber are still the best D on this team. Doesnt say a lot but they have been inconsistant.
Yep I watched the games and Mete brings almost nothing. He even struggles making a decent zone exit and first pass and dosen't bring anything else, no physicality, no shots on net, the opposing teams dump the puck in his corner and then the Habs are stuck in their zone because Mete gets pushed and shoved like the weak link that he is on our first pairing. He's not even fast anymore.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Its amazing how you can always tell what types of fans people are as early as game 5 of 82.

I think it's important to remember that all fans want the team to succeed and not everyone deals with adversity in the same manner.

Also, GDTs are notorious for hyperbole and hot takes, people blow off steam and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. I try and look for levity and usually find it -- there is a lot of good comedic material that can be enjoyed.

Take Tyson for instance. Probably the only fan in Texas who bought an AHL package to follow the Rocket and who is a dedicated fan through and through. Even gets into intricate discussions about players and management situations on all kinds of aspects that involve the Habs. I mean, the guy is a serious fan and contributor.

And then, during yesterday's game, I see him post this:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016

Along the same vein as Runners Post, recall last year all the fans who knew this team would be a bubble and low and behold we were a bubble.

Now look at the off season of our divisional rivals (Many improved) and look at what we did. We lost shaw, got some spare parts and pray our kids step up (So far not looking like it will happen but still early)

Couple that with a dinosaur coach who loves to play vets over kids and then again throw another layer of BS with Management it is easy to see how people can get pessimistic after one loss against the Wings.

Every game so far this season has left something to be desired in terms of play which is similar to last year. our players still fire pucks at the crest like no one else. Our D play has been horrible and price cannot save everything. Alot of the same warts we had last year appear to still be here.

Could we change? Of course, players may step up, Maybe JD starts playing to his potential, time will tell. We do need time, but I don't fault people for being pissed when they saw trash hockey last year from this group, fast forward to now its basically the same group of players and again play some trash hockey.

At DA END OF DA DAY, WE ARRE ALL FANS OF DA TEAM...
I would attribute most of the hate as people being pissed off after a loss.

Go look at the leafs forum if you want a laugh, they are already throwing the golden boys under the bus and a fire babs thread + Dubias is alive and well.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I think it's important to remember that all fans want the team to succeed and not everyone deals with adversity in the same manner.

Also, GDTs are notorious for hyperbole and hot takes, people blow off steam and it shouldn't be taken too seriously. I try and look for levity and usually find it -- there is a lot of good comedic material that can be enjoyed.

Take Tyson for instance. Probably the only fan in Texas who bought an AHL package to follow the Rocket and who is a dedicated fan through and through. Even gets into intricate discussions about players and management situations on all kinds of aspects that involve the Habs. I mean, the guy is a serious fan and contributor.

Well... he wasn't entirely wrong.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Poile structured his Subban deal further to a cap room constraint. He needed the space to sign Duchene.

If we want to use the same thinking, then Subban was really traded for cap room, some assets and Duchene.

Guess Poile deemed PS the most expendable and simplest method to carry out the vision.

Reactions: HabsEstrie

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Well done,and funny! good to get a laugh when we can.

Not sure all fans want the Habs to succeed though.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Jordan Weal joins a long list of guys that aren't very good, yet for some reason the coach is obsessed with and way overuses. DD, Raphael Diaz, Bouillon are some other guys that come to mind more recently.

He's on the first PP and is the guy taking the draws at the end of game (with Danault on the ice, you know, and actual centreman). Of course he lost both draws that he took.

I literally see him as a more useful Peca. Third/Fourth liner, but can move up the line-up IF NEEDED. Yet he's the preferred choice to be on special teams and 6 on 5. I don't get it.

It is almost like that small sample size last year wasn't enough from which to draw conclusions.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You don't think Branstromm, a guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey, is ready to play top 4 , 2 years after being drafted?

Unless Brannstrom is really Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Rasmus Dahlin, Miro Heiskanen or Bowen Byram, he's absolutely not in that "guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey" group for the last few seasons.

He's not even consistently in the next group after them.

And certainly hasn't looked like a top-4 D so far.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Curious, when was the last time the Habs went in full rebuild mode like this on purpose? Not many teams do this but some do. However, lets face it, Bergevin has 2 years left and he won't be the one selling vets. It will take another bad season where he is fired and the next GM does it

Then what was the purpose of trading Shaw.. Its so weird, unless Shaw asked for it

Reactions: Doc McKenna

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Unless Brannstrom is really Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Rasmus Dahlin, Miro Heiskanen or Bowen Byram, he's absolutely not in that "guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey" group for the last few seasons.

He's not even consistently in the next group after them.

And certainly hasn't looked like a top-4 D so far.
I should have specified "drafted" ., but it makes for ugly phrasing.

Dahlin was never in that group because he went straight to nhl.

Makar, drafted the same year, was in my top 3.

Heiskanen, drafted the same year, was in top 3 that year, but graduated early.

The list is dynamic and ever changing. It exists not in a vacuum.

Hughes. Debatable. He was hyped pre-draft. Slipped because of size. Didnt rocket up the charts immediately.

Byrum was just drafted #4 this year. I don't think many people have him higher than Branstromm yet. Too early.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I should have specified "drafted" ., but it makes for ugly phrasing.

Dahlin was never in that group because he went straight to nhl.

Makar, drafted the same year, was in my top 3.

Heiskanen, drafted the same year, was in top 3 that year, but graduated early.

The list is dynamic and ever changing. It exists not in a vacuum.

Hughes. Debatable. He was hyped pre-draft. Slipped because of size. Didnt rocket up the charts immediately.

Byrum was just drafted #4 this year. I don't think many people have him higher than Branstromm yet. Too early.

Hughes is not debatable. Neither is Makar, neither is Heiskanen. I'm not even mentioning guys like Bouchard, Boqvist, Smith, Hague, Dobson, Sandin, Fox, etc.

Its pretty clear you're incredibly high on Brannstrom. That's fine. But I'm basing this on prospect rankings, which is what you said too.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Not surprised by the loss.

This is a coach who prefers playing guys that were DUMPED by other teams over youth. And has the GALL to say that he prefers playing veterans (Reilly and Follin Down The River) over Fleury and Kulak. And plays natural centers on the wing and calls them out AFTER THREE GAMES.

Message to Dauterive : Carolina and others don't seem to follow the same plan.

This team will not win this year. He reverted back to his old ugly safe after January last season. And he hasn't stopped since.

Last edited:

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
Hughes is not debatable. Neither is Makar, neither is Heiskanen. I'm not even mentioning guys like Bouchard, Boqvist, Smith, Hague, Dobson, Sandin, Fox, etc.

Its pretty clear you're incredibly high on Brannstrom. That's fine. But I'm basing this on prospect rankings, which is what you said too.
Branstromm, while drafted low (mid 1st) , shot up after an impressive preseason in 2017, and never looked back . Makar was in my perennial top 3. Heiskanen was for that one year hecwasnt a pro. Hughes is absolutely debatable. We're debating it right now. Fox, a later round, had a great +1 year, but slowed down, and compounded that with poor attitude and trade demands that saw him given away for nothing. Boqvist peaked pre-draft. The other guys don't have the offensive upside. I'm certainly biased, because I have Branstromm in my dynasty league, and perhaps the premium on offensive d in hockey pools influences that too.

This isn't an exact science though. We can disagree without thinking the other has poor judgement.

I've wasted a lot of hours looking at this stuff too.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Then what was the purpose of trading Shaw.. Its so weird, unless Shaw asked for it

Clearing cap space?

I don't mind the trade, but whatever greater vision of which it was a part, it is yet another half measure approach.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Branstromm, while drafted low (mid 1st) , shot up after an impressive preseason in 2017, and never looked back . Makar was in my perennial top 3. Heiskanen was for that one year hecwasnt a pro. Hughes is absolutely debatable. We're debating it right now. Fox, a later round, had a great +1 year, but slowed down, and compounded that with poor attitude and trade demands that saw him given away for nothing. Boqvist peaked pre-draft. The other guys don't have the offensive upside. I'm certainly biased, because I have Branstromm in my dynasty league, and perhaps the premium on offensive d in hockey pools influences that too.

This isn't an exact science though. We can disagree without thinking the other has poor judgement.

I've wasted a lot of hours looking at this stuff too.

I don't care about your personal ranking.

I'm talking about the rankings that you find online/in publications (Athletic, McKeens, TSN, SportingNews, etc.). Brannstrom was not a consistent top-3 D in any of those. I'm not even sure he was top-3 D in any of those. I assumed those were what you meant when you said "a guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey".

As for right now, watch the Senators right now. If you think Zaitsev or Brannstrom are top-4 D and that Montreal's only top-4 D are Weber and Petry, then yes, I'm going to justifiably question how you're appraising guys.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I don't care about your personal ranking.

I'm talking about the rankings that you find online/in publications (Athletic, McKeens, TSN, SportingNews, etc.). Brannstrom was not a consistent top-3 D in any of those. I'm not even sure he was top-3 D in any of those. I assumed those were what you meant when you said "a guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey".

As for right now, watch the Senators right now. If you think Zaitsev or Brannstrom are top-4 D and that Montreal's only top-4 D are Weber and Petry, then yes, I'm going to justifiably question how you're appraising guys.
Google top d prospect rankings. First results : He's number 1 in Dobbers and #3 (behind Hughes) in another one. You're being disingenuous.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Clearing cap space?

I don't mind the trade, but whatever greater vision of which it was a part, it is yet another half measure approach.

We have close to 7M in cap space.. You can be over the cap during summer so you dont have to trade him in order to make room for another player...On top of that, Shaw was one of MB's favorite, it just dosnt make any sense

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The thing about Therrien & Julien and a lot of other coaches is..

they'll sometimes adapt and do things that lead to victories - last year in Montreal.. and the lock-out year for Therrien.

But the moment they hit a snag, they revert to their old ways and are convinced what they were doing was wrong and they should have never done it.. and then you see them stay with their huge flaws that got them fired the last time they were here.

We need a new age coach, who's instincts is offense and tempo, and has the patience to work with young players, trust them, and live with mistakes as part of the learning process.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Google top d prospect rankings. First results : He's number 1 in Dobbers and #3 (behind Hughes) in another one. You're being disingenuous.

The Dobbers is Fantasy D prospect ranking, not D prospect ranking. Its not ranking them based on how good a prospect, but rather if you should draft them in your keeper league. He's not top 3 for most others.

Don't provide one vague source and a vague referral to a second one and say I'm being disingeneous for challenging you assertion that Brannstrom is "a guy consistently ranked as a top 3 d prospect in all of hockey". He's a really good D prospect. That doesn't means he's generally considers a top-3 D prospect or that he's a top-4 D in the NHL

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not surprised by the loss.

This is a coach who prefers playing guys that were DUMPED by other teams over youth. And has the GALL to say that he prefers playing veterans (Reilly and Follin Down The River) over Fleury and Kulak. And plays natural centers on the wing and calls them out AFTER THREE GAMES.

Message to Dauterive : Carolina and others don't seem to follow the same plan.

This team will not win this year. He reverted back to his old ugly safe after January last season. And he hasn't stopped since.

Good point. He's risk averse. He may be finding solace in this type of approach as it resonates with how his GM manages the team and tepidly engages on the trading of major assets, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad