Post-Game Talk: Habs dominated by Wings -- Lose Home Opener 4-2

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
To be fair, all those guys were on fire straight out of the gate. Gallagher was on pace to score 65G...Tatar and Domi 100+pts..
Habs had an awesome October month, the only reason they didnt finish with the rest of the bottom dwellers.
Not sure how many times so many of us argued the Habs are likely to suffer a setback because they had so many career years out of guys last season...
If all those guys aren't par for the course...it ain't gonna be good.
No. It’ll be great. Bergy gone and a top 3 pick.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Not a fan a Cold Play. So much so that I didn't even know that the Habs's pre-game music came from one of their songs.

I kept asking where the music came from but I finally found the song:

I heard this segment a ton of times during games last year but never thought of looking it up. I always found that it sets a pleasant mood.

I know it's not for everyone and some of you might even hate it cause it's from Cold Play, lol. I just like it as a standalone as the instrumental bit that it is, without reference to the song it came from.

North Americans usually don’t get British music.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
North Americans usually don’t get British music.

That's quite the sweeping statement on a quite a disparate and divergent group.

I'd say it depends where in North America. I know that my own involvement in the music industry at several levels over many years has shown me that Montrealers are quite sophisticated by and large and have been at the forefront of adopting several bands and styles from overseas before they gained a wider appeal.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
No doubt about it, Sabres have good pieces in several areas. But how did they beat the Habs? It was with shot power and their PP. Both these teams have pieces in various areas and I don't see them being for sure better than the Habs.

Our team D is not good at the moment but it's more about team D vs the pieces we have on the back end. We are making too many mistakes in our own end and that includes both the forwards and D

It's a long season man! I expect a lot of up and down roller coaster ride like last year. The game against the Wings is disappointing but the Habs have proven to be resilient
Omg blah blah. I’m not buying anything you say.

Reactions: Tighthead

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I'd say it depends where in North America. I know that my own involvement in the music industry at several levels over many years has shown me that Montrealers are quite sophisticated by and large and have been at the forefront of adopting several bands and styles from overseas before they gained a wider appeal.
This is too large to discuss here. I always love your posts.

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009

I’m in Toronto for the moment and the music is f***ing awful. Like really bad.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m in Toronto for the moment and the music is ****ing awful. Like really bad.

Maybe you should give us a sense of what is irritating you, in our music thread. Please provide us with context and sources, if you are so inclined: OT: - Music II

Also, thanks for the kind words. :)

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

OT but I remember early/mid 80s Montrealers had a weird thing for Chris De Burgh. One year he played something like 5 shows and 3 were in Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Thank you runner. I like you.

Right back at you, good Sir!

OT but I remember early/mid 80s Montrealers had a weird thing for Chris De Burgh. One year he played something like 5 shows and 3 were in Montreal.

I've seen the same phenomena many times over. The one that I enjoyed the most was when bands like Genesis and Yes were breaking and how quickly Montrealers embraced prog.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
No for sure... I have become a lot less emotionally vested in this team in the last few years. It's like a long long running bad joke... nothing about them is serious. They aren't in business to satisfy fans. I guess logging on here (or previously HIO) and b!tching about them has become just something to do. In the end of the day all these players, coaches, GMs will get paid their ridiculous salaries, go to their mansions and just tell everyone to "chill". These people don't live in the same universe.
I must be a bit like you. It's like hunting I guess (I never did), you follow the lead of the animal and you take a long long time before catching him. The longer it take to get the beast, the better is the party. There was tv series like that before, a long story that never seems to end, or a super long case to solve in investigation thriller books. But in our situation we clearly think our beloved team is in bad hands and we get furious because of the frustration. If we knew the decision making is good, we could get thru years of rebuilding and waiting with peace of mind. But we know the decision making is bad (or not as good as it should be) so we are right to be mad at our gm.
On another note, I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows a friend or a family member who said a thing like my friend told me.

Last edited:

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

I love Coldplay.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I agree. In my teenage years we loved Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, ELO, King Crimson and the more commercial Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, McCartney, Bowie, Frampton, etc. Most students hated Disco.
Musically there was two clans in my Polyvalente. Half said Pink Floyd was the best group and another half said it was Genesis (the Peter Gabriel years). The psychedelic experimental Pink Floyd vs the best progressive rock Genesis (also experimental). Led Zepp was still very popular but they were starting to be an old group or not the most innovative musically. But everyone loved Supertramp. Someone told me only in Quebec Supertramp was that popular.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I’m in Toronto for the moment and the music is ****ing awful. Like really bad.
I live near the us border and I get The Buzz 99,9 from Burlington VT. A bit noisy and trashy but it's likeable. It's fresh and young compared to the good old Chom 97,7. Did I said it sounds old? :laugh::naughty:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Welcome to the club.

You're way too kind. Thanks!

I love Coldplay.

I have a feeling that The 40 year old virgin may have killed Coldplay for some:

I agree. In my teenage years we loved Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, ELO, King Crimson and the more commercial Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, McCartney, Bowie, Frampton, etc. Most students hated Disco.
Musically there was two clans in my Polyvalente. Half said Pink Floyd was the best group and another half said it was Genesis (the Peter Gabriel years). The psychedelic experimental Pink Floyd vs the best progressive rock Genesis (also experimental). Led Zepp was still very popular but they were starting to be an old group or not the most innovative musically. But everyone loved Supertramp. Someone told me only in Quebec Supertramp was that popular.

Your account is so crystal clear and factual, you've had me traveling through time. All the acts you mention, this was truly Quebec, including the factions. I don't know how it worked in other cities but I do know that when a band or artist was looking to make its mark, Montreal was the place to be. I remember many artists and pundits saying it. I don't know what it says about this city. It's tough to break as a musician and to have a place that opens their arms to you, has to be something you never forget.

I live near the us border and I get The Buzz 99,9 from Burlington VT. A bit noisy and trashy but it's likeable. It's fresh and young compared to the good old Chom 97,7. Did I said it sounds old? :laugh::naughty:

I catch 99.9FM in most areas of Montreal and in the north shore. Gabriel Morency used to say it all the time -- the best music station broadcasting in Montreal is in Burlington.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I just now watched a replay of it. Habs took a time out with 25.7 seconds left to the game and while Kirk Muller was going through a play pattern that he wanted the players to execute, the camera was roving about to Detroit's bench.

And just as the camera was showing the Wings's head coach, you could see right behind him a rather man sporting a big sized Habs jersey who was well aware that the camera was upon him. So he kept his back turned to the camera and you could see he was sporting number 67 (the last year the Leafs won it) and his nameplate read what you quoted above. His on air timing was perfect although it would have had much more impact if the Leafs were in town.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
The moment this summer we saw we couldn't get any big UFAs and were afraid to go after the big RFAs this org. should have turned around and blow it up. We have no chance to be competitive.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I just now watched a replay of it. Habs took a time out with 25.7 seconds left to the game and while Kirk Muller was going through a play pattern that he wanted the players to execute, the camera was roving about to Detroit's bench.

And just as the camera was showing the Wings's head coach, you could see right behind him a rather man sporting a big sized Habs jersey who was well aware that the camera was upon him. So he kept his back turned to the camera and you could see he was sporting number 67 (the last year the Leafs won it) and his nameplate read what you quoted above. His on air timing was perfect although it would have had much more impact if the Leafs were in town.
Wish I had though of that when I lived in Toronto , when the Habs didnt suck. I would have ordered one and worn it right out. :nod:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->