Post-Game Talk: Habs dominated by Wings -- Lose Home Opener 4-2

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Everyone overreacting again to a loss on a back to back... Like everyone overreacting for Drouin.

Emotions run so high, its kind of funny.

This is a bubble team, they will lose games and they won't be good every night. They have a good chance of missing the playoffs, but they could make it if stars align.

Just enjoy the ride.
We have been a bubble team for the past 4-5 seasons.......enjoy the ride? MB's lower expectations and standards, are killing us...

Get rid of the clown and the dinosaur and get some fresh blood ala the Bruins, with Sweeney and Cassidy.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The defense is awful. The team's going nowhere with this group.

• Mete shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st pairing. His only asset is his skating, and he's there to make up for weber's lack of foot speed.
  • Chiarot is Weber-lite, which isn't a compliment, who's prone to Petry-like mistakes. At least Petry can recover or make up for his gaffs. Chiarot is a 3rd pairing player.
  • Reilly and Folin shouldn't play at all, for any team. In other words, the Habs are down 2 starters.
  • The lack of a top pairing puck mover is glaring, especially on the PP. It forces the team the use a forward on the point, thinning the options up front, and forcing the team to use guys like Weal and Armia.
The good news is that adding just one player can address all points.

_____ - Weber
Mete/Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Was thinking that perhaps after I sleep on it I'd feel better about the team. Nope. Same sh!tty team. Same sh!tty feeling.
SOmeone please offer Moneybags a lot of bags of $$$ and buy the team. Fire the clowns that run it. Get people from the 21st century. I now have same reaction seeing Julien's face as I did when I saw Therrien. Violent throwing up. Nausea. Sometimes uncontrollable shakes. It's hard.

To me, Therrien will still remain the ultimate rage inducing person based soly on his personality. CJ based on his days as a bruins is in grained as a whiner but still a man with some intelligence.

MT was a freaking neanderthal. He was made for his foxhole friend Marc. Not sure the foxhole could fit him now because I think those biceps have doubled in size.

Also he loved the MT line blender so I think the habs would have had the same records with a ficus as head coach

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The defense is awful. The team's going nowhere with this group.

• Mete shouldn't be anywhere near the 1st pairing. His only asset is his skating, and he's there to make up for weber's lack of foot speed.
  • Chiarot is Weber-lite, which isn't a compliment, who's prone to Petry-like mistakes. At least Petry can recover or make up for his gaffs. Chiarot is a 3rd pairing player.
  • Reilly and Folin shouldn't play at all, for any team. In other words, the Habs are down 2 starters.
  • The lack of a top pairing puck mover is glaring, especially on the PP. It forces the team the use a forward on the point, thinning the options up front, and forcing the team to use guys like Weal and Armia.
The good news is that adding just one player can address all points.

_____ - Weber
Mete/Kulak - Petry
Chiarot - Fleury

Geez man. Granpa Weber already has hard enough time absorbing minutes while playing with a partner. YOu want him to be there all by himself covering for 2 dmen? He'll have a heart attack.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I have to give this to BErgevin... he learned his lesson. He did not come out and declare that this season's defense is better.

Can we get Jordie Benn back?

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
After seeing the initial games, which were all fun and exciting, my thought was that there is no way this team can keep up the pace. Sure it's fun and exciting to have those come-from-behind wins over and over, but it just also be exhausting. I know it's just the start of the season, but there's a reason some teams just fall-off after the first half of the season and some keep getting better. Teams that play at full intensity starting in game 1 and need to use much more energy than the other team to win will burn itself out. Back to back are also brutal because you have less energy in the second half.

But that's bound to happen when your whole plan for winning is intensity and out-grinding the other team to make up for a lack of talent. When you even use your grinders on the PP instead of your higher skilled players...

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Geez man. Granpa Weber already has hard enough time absorbing minutes while playing with a partner. YOu want him to be there all by himself covering for 2 dmen? He'll have a heart attack.
Weber's basically playing both sides of the ice right now because Meat is completely out to lunch with his positioning and decision making. It's really frustrating to watch Weber being hung out to dry.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Weber's basically playing both sides of the ice right now because Meat is completely out to lunch with his positioning and decision making. It's really frustrating to watch Weber being hung out to dry.

There isn't an aspect of Habs game that isn't frustrating. What a mess. I can't believe people continue to pay to see that.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its actually a lot more of the opposite. Mete has been exposed because Weber loses every single foot race he's in and he gets caught out of position so often. Note that this pairing wasn't on the ice for a single goal against last game, though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How is it that a selke top 10 center can miss his assignments on two goals against the freaking Wings ?

Also, look at that PP goal from Mantha, the play is going through down low, there's two passing option in Cholowski at the blue line and one behind the goal line, there's three shooting options with Mantha who can shoot from high up or near the hashmark, the net presence and Cholowski. The player personel is very similar to what the Habs have, but the scheme is just so much better.

Reactions: Et le But

durojean

May 29, 2007
Had this team undertaken an actual rebuild a few years ago perhaps we would be turning the corner now towards being a very good team, instead we are still mired in garbage.

We are in a rebuild actually. May I remind you that our last 2 draft year are KK and Cauflield. And last year was an aberration. I feel like Bergevin just wants our youngster to be around good role models, like Price and Weber. I also feel that he thinks Price and Petry will still be around when the team he wants to build gel together.

Plus he wants to appease the mass with at least some star power in the team and have the luxury to develop our youngster properly in the minors instead of prime time montreal.

still : Suzuki should play in Laval or at least at center in a sheltered role from my point of view and we are making a mistake with him right now.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
There isn't an aspect of Habs game that isn't frustrating. What a mess. I can't believe people continue to pay to see that.

That is it in a nutshell. Until Money Molson starts to see empty seats, Hotdawgs are going bad because they aren't being sold where is the incentive to actually do something?

Hes getting mad bank bro so continue to let his BFF Muscle Man Marc do whatever with next to no accountability.

If your going to these games, buying habs merc etc but hate the direction the team is going and bitch on here with many of us... guess what? You are part of the problem too!

Stop giving them money, otherwise your complacent in allowing this organization to continue to be run into the ground and living off the "Legacy" which is basically all its been doing for a decade going on two now.

Just to reiterate, UFA's would rather go to Winnipeg over Mtl. Let that sink in. Change is needed and can only be accomplished by not giving money to this organization. They won't listen to anything else.

upload_2019-10-11_10-59-50.png

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
this team needs a real reset.

send the kids down and go with Kinkaid for 30 games.

tatar - danault - gallagher
drouin - domi - weal
lehks - cousins - armia
hudon - nate - peca

/ trade byron at the TDL

(defense as is. already bad enough)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Wish Habs can take the opportunity and send Mete/Fleury/Suzuki to AHL while calling up the vets like Alzner/Weise and perhaps one of Peca/Hudon. I think Mete would benefit from seeing he could dominate AHL (ie Pacioretty).

Peca/Hudon - Suzuki - Barber
Varone - Poehling - Belzile
Vejdemo - Evans - McCarron
Alain - Pezzetta - Jevpalovs/Cox

Mete - Fleury
Ouellet - Juulsen
Sklenicka/Leskinen - Brook

Primeau
Lindgren/McNiven

Make sure the AHL team has success and focus on developing Suzuki/Poehling/Brook/Primeau/Mete/etc into future core rather than have then ready to patch holes.

In NHL:
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Domi - Byron
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Cousins - Thompson - Weal
Peca/Hudon, Weise

Chiarot - Petry
Kulak - Weber
Reilly - Folin
Alzner

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
One thing I learned from last year is the Habs are resilient. We kept seeing them rebound last year after bad games. I expect similar to last year if we stay healthy. Could sneak in the playoffs or we could have the 10-15 range pick again

I cab't bring myself to describe a team that turtles like we did down the stretch last year as resilient. We are a team who will beat any team that allows us to out work them. When they push back which is more prevalent towards the end of the year we aren't nearly good enough. Nothing new here we've been in a similar position for 3 decades now with less than a handful of seasons where we clearly had energy going into a post season. We suffer from a form of conceptual indifference or something. I'm convinced the higher ups have no clue as to what a winning formula is supposed to look like. Plan is just another 4 letter word at this point.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
How is it that a selke top 10 center can miss his assignments on two goals against the freaking Wings ?

Also, look at that PP goal from Mantha, the play is going through down low, there's two passing option in Cholowski at the blue line and one behind the goal line, there's three shooting options with Mantha who can shoot from high up or near the hashmark, the net presence and Cholowski. The player personel is very similar to what the Habs have, but the scheme is just so much better.

it becomes pretty one dimensional with Weber on the point. if a pass is coming from his right, Weber won't even look left. He'll either shoot it or return it and wait for a better pass.

Most teams employ a sniper in one (or 2) of the circles. buffalo, washington, tampa, toronto, winnipeg ... really most do these days. ... it relies on getting the goalie moving and having an accurate shot. Weber's shooting is just based on power and hoping for a screen or tip.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
it becomes pretty one dimensional with Weber on the point. if a pass is coming from his right, Weber won't even look left. He'll either shoot it or return it and wait for a better pass.

Most teams employ a sniper in one (or 2) of the circles. buffalo, washington, tampa, toronto, winnipeg ... really most do these days. ... it relies on getting the goalie moving and having an accurate shot. Weber's shooting is just based on power and hoping for a screen or tip.

He's the same type of heavy shooter as Mantha and has similar mobility and passing ability, there's no reasons it can't work.

The play should go through Petry, Drouin and Kotkaniemi and have Weber as a shooting option in his spot, now the play is simply get it to Weber. Its utterly stupid.

They should really look at the Detroit tape because they have the exact same personel available, just flipped on the other side.
Petry=Cholowski
Weber=Mantha
Kotkaniemi=Larkin
Drouin/Domi=Hirose
Whoever=Bertuzzi

They also create movement with Mantha lining up on the opposite side on the faceoff and moving to the other side with Larking moving to the center, but I feel that this is something that doesn't need to be done as much, its a small detail.

I feel that Weber goes too low in the zone too, it puts a lot of space between him and the passing player on the blue line, his shot is strong enough that he should remain mostly parallel to the passer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I cab't bring myself to describe a team that turtles like we did down the stretch last year as resilient. We are a team who will beat any team that allows us to out work them. When they push back which is more prevalent towards the end of the year we aren't nearly good enough. Nothing new here we've been in a similar position for 3 decades now with less than a handful of seasons where we clearly had energy going into a post season. We suffer from a form of conceptual indifference or something. I'm convinced the higher ups have no clue as to what a winning formula is supposed to look like. Plan is just another 4 letter word at this point.

I still believe this middle of the pack team is resilient. But yeah, we have issues and we are not cup contenders

Reactions: Habssince89

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
He's the same type of heavy shooter as Mantha and has similar mobility and passing ability, there's no reasons it can't work.

The play should go through Petry, Drouin and Kotkaniemi and have Weber as a shooting option in his spot, now the play is simply get it to Weber. Its utterly stupid.

They should really look at the Detroit tape because they have the exact same personel available, just flipped on the other side.
Petry=Cholowski
Weber=Mantha
Kotkaniemi=Larkin
Drouin/Domi=Hirose
Whoever=Bertuzzi

They also create movement with Mantha lining up on the opposite side on the faceoff and moving to the other side with Larking moving to the center, but I feel that this is something that doesn't need to be done as much, its a small detail.

I feel that Weber goes too low in the zone too, it puts a lot of space between him and the passing player on the blue line, his shot is strong enough that he should remain mostly parallel to the passer.
So Mantha has zero mobility? :sarcasm:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This team just doesn’t have enough skill, size or even speed to compete for a cup.
We are deep but we are spread too thin.

Too many shortsighted or PR moved, questionable drafting and horrible development and asset management total lack of a long term vision.

MB had a few moments but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
This is why Clod isn't a good coach...prefers experience over somebody like Fleury which was actually pretty decent and even really good at times...

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Its actually a lot more of the opposite. Mete has been exposed because Weber loses every single foot race he's in and he gets caught out of position so often. Note that this pairing wasn't on the ice for a single goal against last game, though.
Don't go away mad...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad