Confirmed with Link: Habs claim forward Logan Shaw from Anaheim

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
This is a pretty important point.
If Julien doesn't want to play Galchenyuk at centre when the roster is healthy, fine. But to refuse to put him there when you're clearly running out of options is just insane.
They don't want Galchenyuk making them look like fools for not playing him at center.

Reactions: Nedved

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Ducks fan here, first of all, he's played way more wing than center, so not sure why it calls him a center in the article.
Shaw is probably the most average 4th liner you will ever witness. The only thing he is decent at is his play on the PK in my opinion. Everything else he does is incredibly bland. He's a safe player, will never lose you a game, but he definitely won't win you any either. He is probably one of the most forgettable players I've ever seen, not because he's bad, just because he blends in and doesn't do anything special.

So he's the new Brian Flynn. The guy who can't do **** but somehow he's good on the pk because well in the end we have to say something positive about him.

Reactions: Forum93

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
giphy.gif

I really wish that Marc Bergvin would come back. I mean he was nice at the very beginning. Then he turned into a control freak and a narcissist.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hemsky buy out perhaps?

They can't buy him out during the season if I'm not mistaken. I think there are specific periods during the year a team can exercise a buyout.

And either way, they're better off keeping him all year and let his 1M come completely off the books at season's end then to have part of next year's cap occupied by him, however little it would be.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So he's the new Brian Flynn. The guy who can't do **** but somehow he's good on the pk because well in the end we have to say something positive about him.

At least Flynn was good at face offs. And he was surprisingly skilled in the shootout.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If we bring up Scherbak then you'll hear the crying about how we are hurting his development.

Hurting his development? When are we going to really test him? The same year he has to go through waivers? That is a super plan Bergie! Hoiw old do you think Scherbak is? 19? The kid is 22. The way it works is that waivers exist 'cause they analyse that when it's time to go through waivers, it means that you have to get a chance somewhere else. So usually, you don't start using a guy more regularly THE YEAR HE HAS TO GO THROUGH IT. 'Cause if it doesn't work out immediately, you either have to use him despite his big flaws....you have to sit him till he gets it in practice (how's that for development) or you have to send him down and see somebody else pick him.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Scherback, McCaron, Cracknell, and Terry can all fill in. This is a player that was available for free and may bring a draft choice by trading anot her player when everyone's healthy.

Except you dont need him now to get a draft choice and filler for a player near deadline.

Pretty easy to trade say pleks for a pick and waiver fodder. You dont need waiver fodder now

Jul 6, 2016
When I read yesterday that Logan Shaw was on waivers, I had the instant feeling that Bergevin would grab him.

The guy is as good (or as bad) as DLR or McCarron, anyway. With Shaw and Danault injured for a while, it makes sense. Froese and Carr deserve to play. Cracknell could had been a good short term solution too.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Except you dont need him now to get a draft choice and filler for a player near deadline.

Pretty easy to trade say pleks for a pick and waiver fodder. You dont need waiver fodder now

Scherbak, McCarron, Terry, and Cracknell are all progressing well in the AHL. I think it's better for McCarron and Scherbak (in theory) to play big minutes in the AHL, than limited minutes here. We have 9 top 9 forwards that are healthy here:

Galchenyuk Drouin Carr
Pacioretty Byron Hudon
Lehkonen Plekanec Gallagher
plus
Froese De la Rose Deslaurier

Better to have the new Shaw sit in the stands than McCarron or Scherbak. I'm really looking forward to seeing Scherbak in the NHL, especially with Galchenyuk, but I'm fine with him developing some more in the AHL.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Another useless scrub :laugh:

Like Byron, Wiese, Danault, and Deslaurier? Or let me guess, when we got each of those players you were correctly saying they were great moves.

Bergevin has failed misreably at the big moves, which are most important. But he's been good at the depth moves. They don't make up for the big blunders. But I'll evaluate each on their own merits.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Like Byron, Wiese, Danault, and Deslaurier? Or let me guess, when we got each of those players you were correctly saying they were great moves.

Bergevin has failed misreably at the big moves, which are most important. But he's been good at the depth moves. They don't make up for the big blunders. But I'll evaluate each on their own merits.

I don’t think those moves you mentioned were in response to injuries. I wouldn’t look at this as anything other than the need for warm bodies with NHL experience.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
What does this mean (big picture)?
Big picture? Logan Shaw meets a nice Québecois girl, they marry in late 2019 and have a baby in 2020. The baby girl, Louise, grows up, marries Larry Robinson's grandson, they move to Ottawa, where the couple opens a private security company for politicians. Their baby is kidnapped and the couple is forced to turn over secure data to the kidnappers, who gain entry and attempt to seize Parliament Hill. Grandfather Logan Shaw ignores warnings and marches into the occupied corridor, creating enough distraction for military police to take out the criminals. Shaw is shot in the shoulder but survives.

All in all, a pretty good pickup by Bergevin.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I don’t think those moves you mentioned were in response to injuries. I wouldn’t look at this as anything other than the need for warm bodies with NHL experience.

But other posters are trying to paint it as an example of Bergevin's incompetence. I get the hate and some of the responses are humorous. But some posters need to stop using this move as a reason to complain just to complain.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Big picture? Logan Shaw meets a nice Québecois girl, they marry in late 2019 and have a baby in 2020. The baby girl, Louise, grows up, marries Larry Robinson's grandson, they move to Ottawa, where the couple opens a private security company for politicians. Their baby is kidnapped and the couple is forced to turn over secure data to the kidnappers, who gain entry and attempt to seize Parliament Hill. Grandfather Logan Shaw ignores warnings and marches into the occupied corridor, creating enough distraction for military police to take out the criminals. Shaw is shot in the shoulder but survives.

All in all, a pretty good pickup by Bergevin.

I thought the idea was to fuse the two Shaws together so we can have a 6’3 useless homophobe!

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Only Byron is a waiver pick up... And Honestly Byron is a limited player. We like to overate our grinders in MTL

You need players that bring how much he brings for the salary he brings in a cap era. He is a player that needs to play with the right linemates though. He was good with Galchenyuk and Drouin and Galchenyuk and Radulov, and with Danault and Shaw as a 3rd line. Now he's been playing with Plekanec. Like many players, he's invisible offensively when he's playing with Plekanec.

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world

How about like Stefan Matteau, Dwight King, Andreas Martinsen, Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau, Eric Tangradi, Bryan Allen, George Parros, Lucas Lessio, Jiri Sekac, Davis Drewiske, etc.?

Reactions: MaxPacwhereishe

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Only Byron is a waiver pick up... And Honestly Byron is a limited player. We like to overate our grinders in MTL
I dont think so, if there is something Bergevin is good at, its picking good bottom lines players.. Outside Dwight King, I liked basically all the guys he brought in to play on the bottom lines.. Even Mitchell and Flynn have been decent fourth liner the first 2 years..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad