Habs center line 30th in the league in goals for

Jul 6, 2016
Trades are hard, just ask Bergy, he will tell you. Year 10 of looking for a Center, I guess they don't make them , the 29 other teams who claim to have them are fake news

Bergevin and the GM's before him have all failed to find a star centerman. They missed on Carter or Getzlaf, Bergeron, Giroux,O'reilly and more recently, Point and Aho.... all available when they drafted !!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, we got A.Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Fischer, Leblanc, Lernout, Juulsen.......

Can I cry ? Swear ?

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Shea Weber could not hold a candle to Brian Rafalski, much less Stevens or Niedermayer.

Different times though, 90's hockey was a different game. Probert put up 20 goals when everyone was thriving. Stevens wasn't putting up massive numbers, he played a similar game to Weber and had the luxury of having Niedermayer to dish the puck to. I loved Stevens, but he was not an offensive juggernaut either.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Bergevin and the GM's before him have all failed to find a star centerman. They missed on Carter or Getzlaf, Bergeron, Giroux, and more recently, O'Reilly, Point, Aho.... all available when they drafted !!!!!!!!!!

And the guys they drafted are just blah

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair to MB, there was really no way he could have expected Danault to have 1 goal in his first 28 games of the season.

Also while Pleks didn't end on a good note, he was at one point a really solid center for us.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Bergevin and the GM's before him have all failed to find a star centerman. They missed on Carter or Getzlaf, Bergeron, Giroux, and more recently, O'Reilly, Point, Aho.... all available when they drafted !!!!!!!!!!

Thank God, we got A.Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Fischer, Leblanc, Juulsen.......

Yes, its like Kryptonite at the draft. The talent these idiots have passed over, what a bunch of losers from top to bottom when you think about it

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Thank God, we got A.Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Fischer, Leblanc, Lernout, Juulsen....... LOL !

Can’t argue drafting has sucked something fierce!

MB, TT, and DD need to go. Clean house and bring in fresh blood.

Jul 6, 2016
Can’t argue drafting has sucked something fierce!

MB, TT, and DD need to go. Clean house and bring in fresh blood.

TT is there since 2003...... He survived despite 85%-90% bad draft picks under GM's Gainey, Gauthier, MB who else.... ?

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Center scoring is probably the number one thing keeping the habs from cup contender status . They have to likely draft or sign to offer sheet a superstar . This might be the only position I overpay . I even trade multiple picks prospects for the opportunity to draft high

del17

Dec 26, 2015
So.... Habs decision to start season with a rookie, 20yr old & 21yr old, plus a middle 6 veteran whose strength is defensive play has led to bottom of the league offensive output from that position?

Why is anyone surprised?
No one is likely surprised. I felt the habs would acquire a star . Bergevin for all the good and I think he has won most of his trades. He has never taken a big risk to solve this like say Savard before him took bigger gambles

del17

Dec 26, 2015
That's why the Aho "fiasco" two seasons ago has hurt the team in some ways.
I think it screwed Carolina cap situation plus put the league on notice . The offer though was laughable

del17

Dec 26, 2015
I don't know that their age is that significant. Staal had the best season of his career at 20/21 years of age. Kotkaniemi is at about the same pace as he was as an 18 year old rookie. Alex Galchenyuk outscored both Suzuki and Kotkaniemi at the same age.
But right away Galchenyuk was a disaster defensively and on draws. Kk his issue is his strength till he takes care of it

del17

Dec 26, 2015
Yeah I was only the speaking of in the highly unlikely case we landed a number 1c... I think Toffoli and Caufield are comfortable at LW and can benefit from being there, at least on the offensive end, because it gives them a better shooting angle. That would allow Gallagher, Anderson and Suzuki to play RW. Anyways, that we get a number 1 center is highly unlikely.
We have to find a way even if it is a gamble or home run draft pick swing . We always will need to overpay as a free agent . Draft picks are still just chances you never know

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We have to find a way even if it is a gamble or home run draft pick swing . We always will need to overpay as a free agent . Draft picks are still just chances you never know

It's going to be interesting to see how we do in the playoffs this year once Cole and Gallagher get into the lineup.

Playoffs are a new season. Although they're a small sample size, they are when things really matter. We'll see how well we do and who does well. And MB will make all his offseason decisions based on that, as he always does based on the most recent set of games.

del17

Dec 26, 2015
It's going to be interesting to see how we do in the playoffs this year once Cole and Gallagher get into the lineup.

Playoffs are a new season. Although they're a small sample size, they are when things really matter. We'll see how well we do and who does well. And MB will make all his offseason decisions based on that, as he always does based on the most recent set of games.
I honestly believe habs true core they should be working with excludes mainly price, webber, tatar, Byron, etc. Starts with Suzuki , kk, Romanov you can see the different dimension he makes some of the top Laval prospects. I love the especially Anderson, Perry ,Toffoli additions. The rest I am not that enthused .

WG

Sep 9, 2008
It was reported they wanted NS, nobody is trading a franchise C like PLD ,for crazy legs Kotkaniemi.
At the risk of someone taking my fan card away, are we sure PLD is really a *franchise* C? His high water mark for points is 61, a couple of high-40s seasons, he's on pace for 40-something this year. Considering the cost would have been Suzuki +++ to acquire PLD, are we sure that in a year or so Suzuki or KK or both couldn't approximate what PLD brings?

And I know Dubois brings other attributes, good size and skill. But I don't think he's a bonafide top 10 C or anything. I know Habs centre depth has been forever terrible, but still, it seems like the idea of PLD outpaces what he actually is.

OnceWasNot

Jul 28, 2009
TT is there since 2003...... He survived despite 85%-90% bad draft picks under GM's Gainey, Gauthier, MB who else.... ?

Back around 2008-2010 the consensus here was that TT was one of the best scouts in the league for having drafted Price, McD, Subban and Pacioretty during his tenure so far. Little did we know those were among the last good picks he would make. I think he has survived the past decade of failure only through cronyism.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Center scoring is probably the number one thing keeping the habs from cup contender status . They have to likely draft or sign to offer sheet a superstar . This might be the only position I overpay . I even trade multiple picks prospects for the opportunity to draft high
True left wingers have fewer goals than the true centres this season, why is that not a concern? At least centres are traditionally expected to be play makers first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad