Habs center line 30th in the league in goals for

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hard to be a good productive center when your defense has very liitle puckmoving skills.

Was DD really better than KK and Suz or did he have much better support with Markov and Subban?
How many breakaway/odd man rush goals did Pacioretty get from plays started by Markov and Subban? It seemed like a lot.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Hard to be a good productive center when your defense has very liitle puckmoving skills.

Was DD really better than KK and Suz or did he have much better support with Markov and Subban?
Dd only took face-offs in the o-zone. And he was fine at getting the puck to Patch. I think prime DD was better then 20yr old KK. Different potential though. And yes about pmd for sure.

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How many breakaway/odd man rush goals did Pacioretty get from plays started by Markov and Subban? It seemed like a lot.
A lot for sure, but the biggest difference really is keeping the play alive offensively.

Its crazy how anytime the puck is cycled to the point, the puck is dead. Its either a bad shot to the crest that is saved for a whistle, a poor dump in the corner that ends up on the other stick, a block shot, etc.

This is why I say its the worst defense Ive ever seen from the Habs.

Even when the Habs had guys like Barberio, Campoli, Diaz, Schlemko, etc who were all horrible players, they at least had the minimum IQ to just keep the play alive and not do anything else. Then you couple this with Subban and Markov or Petry and an actually good Weber...

I hate everything about this team.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Dd only took face-offs in the o-zone. And he was fine at getting the puck to Patch. I think prime DD was better then 20yr old KK. Different potential though. And yes about pmd for sure.
DD was sheltered and put in every possible position to be successful, see any similarity to king Joffrey here? Half of the minuses attributed to Eller and Plekanec came from each of them having to scramble over the boards to chase the play while DD cruised to the bench, several steps behind the play heading into our zone. He had it about as easy as any NHL player in the history of the league.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
We lack the forward elite talent to have a defense squad that would make Derian Hatcher a speedy quick puck mover.

If you have Suzuki and Kotakniemi as your top centers, you need strong strong wingers. Not just top 6 forwards types. Now it's just throwing the young centers to the wolves without proper supports.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
20 and 21 Y.O top 6 C's + a shutdown C who can't score more than 10 goals a year + Staal/Evans @ 4 = not surprising

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I ve been repeating for a while that our center line was just way too weak and was impacting our overall offensive production, now the numbers are there to prove it, 30th in the league in goals for...

Bergevin added Stall who is starting to play better hockey and our young centers have been playing good enough last 2 games, but consistency will be the key for the last part of the season and playoffs in hope to win anything. We are extremmely deep and solid everywhere else, now its time for our young centers to reach the next level.
Offensive centers been our achilles heel for decades

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I ve been repeating for a while that our center line was just way too weak and was impacting our overall offensive production, now the numbers are there to prove it, 30th in the league in goals for...

Bergevin added Stall who is starting to play better hockey and our young centers have been playing good enough last 2 games, but consistency will be the key for the last part of the season and playoffs in hope to win anything. We are extremmely deep and solid everywhere else, now its time for our young centers to reach the next level.
May i suggest that Ducharme puts Drouin at center; Trust me, things will change, Habs won't be 30th anymore.
Habs will be last . :teach:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think this will pay off in the long run.

Suzuki, Kotkaniemi and Evans are still gaining valuable experience..

When they're 23-22 (realizing Evans is older), they'll be young veterans.

totally agree... and frankly would not have wanted us to take a different approach to start the year.

The issue is that MB created false expectations (ones that, sadly, i think he actually believed, reflecting how poor his grasp on roster building and player development is) for fans and media alike, and the very predictable results of this roster and of these players is creating for some major disappointment when, in reality, we have every reason to be quite optimistic.

All 3 of JKO/Suzuki/Evans have shown progress (vis-a-vis last season as a whole), and all three give good reason to expect even more progression next year. That's a great "spine" to have in place that a competent GM could do a lot with over the next 3-5 years, given the RFA benefits to the cap that could be optimized.

Reactions: 417

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we had another decent C to replace Suzuki temporarily then I'd be open to it. But we're already overloaded with RWs and I was never a fan of them playing on the left.

Yeah I was only the speaking of in the highly unlikely case we landed a number 1c... I think Toffoli and Caufield are comfortable at LW and can benefit from being there, at least on the offensive end, because it gives them a better shooting angle. That would allow Gallagher, Anderson and Suzuki to play RW. Anyways, that we get a number 1 center is highly unlikely.

Reactions: No More Subban

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
None of the centres except for Staal have ever scored more than 13 goals in a season, so the current situation shouldn't be surprising. They're all playmakers first.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
A lot for sure, but the biggest difference really is keeping the play alive offensively.

Its crazy how anytime the puck is cycled to the point, the puck is dead. Its either a bad shot to the crest that is saved for a whistle, a poor dump in the corner that ends up on the other stick, a block shot, etc.

This is why I say its the worst defense Ive ever seen from the Habs.

Even when the Habs had guys like Barberio, Campoli, Diaz, Schlemko, etc who were all horrible players, they at least had the minimum IQ to just keep the play alive and not do anything else. Then you couple this with Subban and Markov or Petry and an actually good Weber...

I hate everything about this team.

This defense would have been phenomenal about two decades ago, alas in an era where forwards are asked to be more responsible all over the ice, defenders need to be better at supporting the attack to balance things out. Sergachev is everything this team needs right now, what a waste.

As much as this team could use a singular talent up front, I agree in thinking the lack of scoring consistency comes from the backend. It's no wonder why Colorado always looks primed to make opposing goalies sweat, that defense is loaded with elite transitional players when healthy.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Last time we had serious strength down the middle was the Damphousse, Muller, Savard, Lebeau, Skrudland days.

How about just get a real #1, its been forever.

Trades are hard, just ask Bergy, he will tell you. Year 10 of looking for a Center, I guess they don't make them , the 29 other teams who claim to have them are fake news

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Trades are hard, just ask Bergy, he will tell you. Year 10 of looking for a Center, I guess they don't make them , the 29 other teams who claim to have them are fake news

They should have been all over PLD

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Give kk another year.
Let Suzuki get a better diet.
Poehling looking good for next year.
Danault...well he is what he is.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
They should have been all over PLD

Yeah, Bergy overvalues his assets and figured Suzuki was better. Either way, when was the last french player to come here and have success as a forward? Turgeon? Everyone else crumbles.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah, Bergy overvalues his assets and figured Suzuki was better. Either way, when was the last french player to come here and have success as a forward? Turgeon? Everyone else crumbles.

Don’t care about French, and I wouldn’t have moved NS for him, KK would be the one I offered.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
This defense would have been phenomenal about two decades ago, alas in an era where forwards are asked to be more responsible all over the ice, defenders need to be better at supporting the attack to balance things out. Sergachev is everything this team needs right now, what a waste.

As much as this team could use a singular talent up front, I agree in thinking the lack of scoring consistency comes from the backend. It's no wonder why Colorado always looks primed to make opposing goalies sweat, that defense is loaded with elite transitional players when healthy.
Shea Weber could not hold a candle to Brian Rafalski, much less Stevens or Niedermayer.

Reactions: Miller Time

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Don’t care about French, and I wouldn’t have moved NS for him, KK would be the one I offered.

It was reported they wanted NS, nobody is trading a franchise C like PLD ,for crazy legs Kotkaniemi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad