Recalled/Assigned: Habs Call up Nättinen, Beaulieu

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
Good to see I post some stats and no one has discredited them - guess that means I win the debate?

PS. Absolutely ridiculous that Bouillon is playing over Diaz. :laugh:

Therrien is a joke.

That's because Diaz has the flu. According to the Habs website, Therrien said that both Eller and Diaz will play tomorrow if they feel good enough.

If he really plays Bouillon over a healthy Diaz than yes, he is a total joke.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's because Diaz has the flu. According to the Habs website, Therrien said that both Eller and Diaz will play tomorrow if they feel good enough.

If he really plays Bouillon over a healthy Diaz than yes, he is a total joke.
****ing Desharnais. :shakehead

I just have a feeling Murray and Bouillon are going to get time over Diaz down the stretch. They're both so bad though.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Indeed. He has been giving his 100% for weeks now and it's showing in the state board.

People will just have to bit the bullet and accept the fact that DD is there to stay.

That's a horrible thing to say.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Would've preferred Pateryn.

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Diaz
Gorges - Pateryn

Statistically speaking I agree, Pateryn being a RH Shot makes sense.
With that said I have to believe the Bulldog coaching staff knows who are the most ready players.
Habs need puck movers on the blue line and Beaulieu is the best in Hamilton, my two cents

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Not quotin anybody because it's more a general thing: why play subban on the pk and risk the chance of injuring him blocking shots if we already have one of the best pk in the league. Result > your dream pk unit

Get it?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It will only enforce Timmins prowess if Naatinen comes up and steals a center spot defensively for the Habs. He showed well on a 1st line for Finland WJC's a couple of yrs. back (with J.Armia an M.Salomaki), being the defensive conscience on their best line.:handclap: Also he gives the Habs a RH/C with proficiency in faceoffs, giving Plekanec a break from taking defensive zone faceoffs.

Last edited:

habitue*

Danny Dubé is writing on the Radio-Canada web site that Beaulieu might had been recalled to showcase him at NHL level and coukd be involved in a trade for a good forward. He thinks it might also be to give him some NHL experience if the negotiation with Markov don't work and Markov is dealt or traded.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
Danny Dubé is writing on the Radio-Canada web site that Beaulieu might had been recalled to showcase him at NHL level and coukd be involved in a trade for a good forward. He thinks it might also be to give him some NHL experience if the negotiation with Markov don't work and Markov is dealt or traded.
Doubt it. He most likely got called up because with Diaz potentially out they need another offensive defencemen

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

When Subban got his bridge contract, "word" was that the organisation wanted to see how Beaulieu and Tinordi would improve, so they can know if they actually needed Subban.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If you're going to have a 5-11 non-physical "puck moving" defenceman..the puck needs to move more often into the opposition net. Diaz has one assist in the past 16 games...one of the reasons he's had a spot was because he was supposed to provide offensive support even strength and on the second power play, but it's not happening.

Since the coaching staff seems incapable of being creative with power play options, instead trotting out set lines and out-of-place defencemen on the second PP unit....Bergevin needed to call up Beaulieu when he started to get hot offensively. The move makes sense and the timing is good.

Let's not forget that there were rumours of Diaz being signed months ago, but as his play has declined..Bergy never pulled the trigger. He's only making $1.2M..so he's expendable if he's looking for a hefty raise.

Diaz wasn't signed by Bergevin...he has no loyalty to him, I have a feeling Bergevin has decided he's the odd man out. I don't expect the Cube to go anywhere...he's a serviceable 7th dman..and no one else is going to trade for him. Murray isn't going anywhere..he'll be a regular on the blueline in the playoffs unless the team plays Detroit or someone like that, even then he may still be playing.....he was a regular on Pitt's blueline last spring, and he played well.

There is a thread that speaks of the club's lack of offence recently....that is in part because of the lack of secondary scoring on the blueline. Beaulieu instantly makes the second PP unit dangerous, and it will allow PK a chance to cut back his ice time a couple of minutes....no more playing 1:30+ on a PP. Like any dman, PK is prone to making errors moreso when he's fatigued.

I don't see the club missing Diaz's puck moving if he's replaced by NB, who is a very good puck mover most of the time. Diaz is a better defender in terms of gap control, agility and positioning, but NB will bring a more physical presence, and not be overwhelmed by aggression. Paired with a smart stay at home guy like Murray, Nate can be aggressive, and play his game. Yes he'll make some mistakes..but the Cube and Diaz are making mistakes too. As are Emelin and Gorges, and with NB in the lineup..if he's playing well, he's a top four defenceman who can replace Emelin or Gorges in the top four if either are struggling.

Last night it was glaringly apparent that a defensive center with size is also needed. When even Kyle Turris is running roughshod, you know there is an issue. Other than Pleks, the club's not that good on faceoffs - Nattinen will provide some much needed intangibles to a checking line role - grit, smarts, faceoffs, size. If Nattinen shows he can handle NHL speed, Whitey may have lost his fourth line spot.

Last two games it became obvious that some changes were necessary...the team needed some new blood - some complacency looked to be setting in. I give Bergevin credit for finally realizing the current lineup wasn't cutting it, and if adjustments weren't made pronto, this team could quickly find itself in an unnecessary battle to stay in a playoff spot. The Habs don't score that fourth goal, and suddenly the Sens are within five points in the standings. Not good enough.

Really enjoying your posts GM. Sensible and realistic.

lol at the Diaz bashing.

Let's not get mad at the Defensive D-men who have played horrible this season (Murray, Boullion, Emelin), but let's crap on Diaz who's defensive numbers have been pretty decent because he isn't producing offensively.

If Diaz was 6'2 he'd be called untouchable.

But, UH...he's not 6'2. Otherwise your post was entirely correct....

I'd be a bit upset if an older, more expensive, and worse Bouillon was kept over Diaz. Maybe it comes down to Diaz's salary demands, but I'd rather pay Bouillon's money to Diaz any day of the week because Diaz is much, much better.

Cube is not tradeable, Diaz is. Keep up. :)

Didn't think Bergevin had it in him, to make a move. :laugh:

What a move: call ups. Sam Pollock bold.

Sorry but i do not think so.

He has talent but some players have a hard time at a higher level. He's a guy who studied a lot and he thinks too much on the ice. Bournival is more a guy that goes with his feelings and acts accordingly. Big difference there.

Leblanc (a Harvard guy) reminds me of Angelo Esposito (who maybe wanted to stop hockey to study to be a doctor): all the tools are there but no one seems to want to go in the shed and use them and get dirty...

You equate attending university with intelligence. This is true in many cases, but certainly not all cases.There are many idiots at Harvard, trust me.

Further: American college athletes are generally considered to be in the bottom 10 percent of interesting academic thinkers.

Unless you have and interesting paper he has published recently, I have no reason to think that LL is more intelligent than the average NHL player.

In fact, LL may be possibly less intelligent than the average NHL player, as he cannot seem to figure out intellectually what it will take to make the Habs, while for example, Chris Nilan did.

You hate Leblanc because he went to Harvard.

I would laugh, but I would not be surprised if Therrien and Bergevin think the same way.

DA. Think man. I know you know better. See above. I don't think the poster hates LL for attending Harvard, I think the poster overestimates LL for attending Harvard.

If this was written in a sarcastic manner, it kinda hits the spot on. "Nätti" is Finnish for "pretty", and the -nen suffix sometimes indicates something that is small or little.

So technically, his name's meaning could be understood as "Pretty Boy". So, yeah... sounds kinda gay, even in Finnish, TBH.

But if he turns out good and becomes a fan favorite, you'll have a quite nice nickname for him there then.

I love this. Please do not stop being Finland. :)

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Defensive forward held back by injuries. At both the SM-liiga and AHL level showed promise defensively, but virtually no offensive upside to speak of.

He's slow but he has good reach and is a pretty good passer despite his limitations. Not overtly physical but willing to play the body, is strong on the boards, and can protect the puck. Intelligent player too.

Probably doesn't have a future with this organization, but he has shown promise and I'm really curious to see if he gets a real look.

Sounds like a slightly more physical enqvist. I haven't seen joonas play since the world Jr's. He had some crushing hits back then.... But that's hardly something to compare the nhl to.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Sounds like a slightly more physical enqvist. I haven't seen joonas play since the world Jr's. He had some crushing hits back then.... But that's hardly something to compare the nhl to.

too bad he hasn't improved in the skating department but I think he's at least a better skater than Engqvist.

Few times I've seen him (last season), I've liked his game a lot. I'd love it if he was a bottom 6er who could maybe give us the tiniest bit of secondary scoring since we have absolutely no secondary scoring.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Yay! The first Finn in the Habs squad since Nokelainen! :yo:

BTW his name basically translates to "Lil' pretty one"

NewHabsEra*

If you're going to have a 5-11 non-physical "puck moving" defenceman..the puck needs to move more often into the opposition net. Diaz has one assist in the past 16 games...one of the reasons he's had a spot was because he was supposed to provide offensive support even strength and on the second power play, but it's not happening.

Since the coaching staff seems incapable of being creative with power play options, instead trotting out set lines and out-of-place defencemen on the second PP unit....Bergevin needed to call up Beaulieu when he started to get hot offensively. The move makes sense and the timing is good.

Let's not forget that there were rumours of Diaz being signed months ago, but as his play has declined..Bergy never pulled the trigger. He's only making $1.2M..so he's expendable if he's looking for a hefty raise.

Diaz wasn't signed by Bergevin...he has no loyalty to him, I have a feeling Bergevin has decided he's the odd man out. I don't expect the Cube to go anywhere...he's a serviceable 7th dman..and no one else is going to trade for him. Murray isn't going anywhere..he'll be a regular on the blueline in the playoffs unless the team plays Detroit or someone like that, even then he may still be playing.....he was a regular on Pitt's blueline last spring, and he played well.

There is a thread that speaks of the club's lack of offence recently....that is in part because of the lack of secondary scoring on the blueline. Beaulieu instantly makes the second PP unit dangerous, and it will allow PK a chance to cut back his ice time a couple of minutes....no more playing 1:30+ on a PP. Like any dman, PK is prone to making errors moreso when he's fatigued.

I don't see the club missing Diaz's puck moving if he's replaced by NB, who is a very good puck mover most of the time. Diaz is a better defender in terms of gap control, agility and positioning, but NB will bring a more physical presence, and not be overwhelmed by aggression. Paired with a smart stay at home guy like Murray, Nate can be aggressive, and play his game. Yes he'll make some mistakes..but the Cube and Diaz are making mistakes too. As are Emelin and Gorges, and with NB in the lineup..if he's playing well, he's a top four defenceman who can replace Emelin or Gorges in the top four if either are struggling.

Last night it was glaringly apparent that a defensive center with size is also needed. When even Kyle Turris is running roughshod, you know there is an issue. Other than Pleks, the club's not that good on faceoffs - Nattinen will provide some much needed intangibles to a checking line role - grit, smarts, faceoffs, size. If Nattinen shows he can handle NHL speed, Whitey may have lost his fourth line spot.

Last two games it became obvious that some changes were necessary...the team needed some new blood - some complacency looked to be setting in. I give Bergevin credit for finally realizing the current lineup wasn't cutting it, and if adjustments weren't made pronto, this team could quickly find itself in an unnecessary battle to stay in a playoff spot. The Habs don't score that fourth goal, and suddenly the Sens are within five points in the standings. Not good enough.

Good post, I totally agree with you that Diaz is possibly no longer in Habs' plan.. He is a decent puckmover who is rather reliable defensively but he doesnt generate enough offense to compensate for his lack of physicality.. He is a good team player and a NHLer but I just think he doesnt fit on our team anymore.. If Beaulieu plays well and proves he can handle a regular spot with the Habs, I could see Diaz being moved for a draft pick or immediate help up front..

As for Nattinen, hopefully he can do a better job than Engqvist centering the fourth line cause Ive personally no faith in White, especially as a center and we really could use a natural fourth line center with size, smart and checking abilities..

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
It will only enforce Timmins prowess if Naatinen comes up and steals a center spot defensively for the Habs. He showed well on a 1st line for Finland WJC's a couple of yrs. back (with J.Armia an M.Salomaki), being the defensive conscience on their best line.:handclap: Also he gives the Habs a RH/C with proficiency in faceoffs, giving Plekanec a break from taking defensive zone faceoffs.

He was that tournament face-off leader by a mile.

TiCats

Nov 8, 2013
Mile End, Montreal
I had the very same thought. Still, i'll take any excuse to see some youngsters play additional minutes in the NHL this year. Look what its done for someone like Olli Maataa with the Pens. He probably never would have played if not for all their injuries. Some guys just need their big break.

Yeah and you can't call up players at will just to do it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Beaulieu plays well and proves he can handle a regular spot with the Habs, I could see Diaz being moved for a draft pick or immediate help up front.

I'm hoping that's what the Beaulieu call-up signals, although as I've read elsewhere, Beaulieu graduated on account of his recent good play coupled with a concomitant poor showing by Pateryn. Not so long ago, it seemed that Pateryn was the one who was closest to a call-up.

I like Beaulieu longer term but am having difficulty believing that the same guy plagued by poor decision-making skills only 10 games or so ago, has now perfected his game to such a level that he deserves a call-up. For these reasons, I'm skeptical that he can stick on this opportunity, but his time will definitely come. He's only 21, there will be no shame if he's sent back down. I wish him well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad