Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Martin St Pierre

NewHabsEra*

Its either a trade involving Desharnais or St-Pierre will be put in DD's spot hoping he produce some points while DD is watching it from the pressbox.. That would be the ultimate humiliation for Desharnais and if he does nothing when he is put back in the line-up well, he is done as a Habs and possibly as a NHLer as well..

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I liked St-Pierre at the camp. Seems like a character guy that doesn't do stupid things, a Carbonneau-type. I think he'll be more useful than Blanden.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
Where is Christian Thomas?
He appears to be with these white laser Cyclops lady mutants in Thisplayerisbustville

christian-thomas.png

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
You pointed out smaller players who were superstars and extremely talented.

Our small players are just that. Small. And lacking the Gretzky skill level.

Orr and Diaz should never be mentioned in any comparison except for the fact that they are/were in the NHL.

Orr's legs were steel bars, even with the knee problems. They were huge. And no one mentions Cournoyer here, who was better than St Louis by far, in my opinion. The Roadrunner was insanely fast at that time.

Ask Gros Bill about Yvan. He said he had never seen a guy with stronger legs. Ever.

DD? Not so much.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
As a lot of people have said, I don't get this move at all. Dude is not some young prospect but a fringe NHLers who lacks size. Last NHL game in 09-10, really? Habs could not do better then this?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Orr's legs were steel bars, even with the knee problems. They were huge. And no one mentions Cournoyer here, who was better than St Louis by far, in my opinion. The Roadrunner was insanely fast at that time.

Ask Gros Bill about Yvan. He said he had never seen a guy with stronger legs. Ever.

DD? Not so much.

Also, Cournoyer wasn't that much smaller relative to most other players. Average NHLer was smaller back then.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
That guy made 99 points in the AHL.

That's more than DD 'had success in every league' flavor of 2 years ago.

Close to 190lbs on hockeydb.

Might not get pushed around as much as DD.

Still, Habs are in trouble this year with an unproductive bottom 6. They need a 30-50 points playmaker for the third line. Galchenyuk is very effective at wing, the kids are carrying the team offensively. Putting him to center at this point is a big gamble, that might throw the team in a tough losing streak, Blues are coming in town and then Sens, Isles, basically, all these teams are a threat the Habs can't catch a break. Already two losses going in that week.

I fear next week we'll talk about the Habs picking top10 next year.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
As a lot of people have said, I don't get this move at all. Dude is not some young prospect but a fringe NHLers who lacks size. Last NHL game in 09-10, really? Habs could not do better then this?

He's not even a "fringe NHLer", really. He's a career AHLer/minor leaguer who has been called on to fill in for injuries/missing players on occasion. His last stint in Ottawa, for example, was when Spezza and Alfredsson were both out in early January, and he and Zach Smith were brought in to fill the gaps. Smith stuck around a bit longer than St. Pierre, obviously. His 14 game stint with Boston started with the sidelining of Patrice Bergeron the year before, as well.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Don't be fooled. The blues are very physical and they will lay the body hard every chance they get. I think the Habs will suit up parros for these types of matches, otherwise there was no point getting him at all.

He can't be any worse than desharnais at this point, so if this is a callup to scratch desharnais, I have no issues

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Also, Cournoyer wasn't that much smaller relative to most other players. Average NHLer was smaller back then.

Cournoyer was smaller than the average NHL player even then. He lost every fight I saw him in. How did he get into fights? Occasionally he ran the goalie and some oaf would pummel him. He survived all of them.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
This could be a dangerous combination:
St.Pierre-Desharnais-Gionta
That's scary.
And when we trail behind and pull out the goalie, our line-up would be:

St.Pierre-Desharnais-Gionta-Gallagher
Bouillon-Brière

I can't wait to see that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad