Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Martin St Pierre

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm tired of the "appelation d'origine" smurf. Height is an important factor in hockey but it's overrated.
Martin St-Louis : 5'7
Gretzky : 5'10
Maurice Richard : 5'10
Bobby Orr : 5'11 (same height as Diaz, the Dman some calls a smurf)

My point is height helps but it's not what makes the player a good one. If Desharnais was at 6'0, the way he's playing, he still would have 1 point so far

I guess you neglected to mention the size surrounding those specific star players on purpose?

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
This will help assess our depth at the center-midget position.

And maybe this one has Character.

Midget-ninja.gif

This. This is pure G-O-L-D! LOL

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean
If you have ever played hockey you would know it's not overrated at all, and for this reason stick reach, it's super helpful on defense and also on offense when picking up passes, how many pucks do you see DD lose cause the other play just knocks the puck off his stick(using his reach) happens multiple times a game, how many times does dd lunge forward and miss pucks? He missed a goal two games back open net tap in, a taller player gets to those pucks cause his stick is longer

I actually played hockey for many years and while I totally agree it matters ( I said it helps, read it again) it's not everything. I'd say the shorter you are, the more you need skill to compensate. My point is I'm tired to hear the word smurfs for everyone (some posters called Diaz and Plekanec smurfs, I mean come on ...) under 6'0. The real problem of Desharnais is his skills. If Gretzky would have been 5'5, he would still have been at least a above average NHLer. Look at Gerbe, he's better than Desharnais at 5'5. And the best offensive player last year was another smurf.

So in the end, I agree it's harder for the small players but if they have enough tools, they will be able to be effective with their size

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm tired of the "appelation d'origine" smurf. Height is an important factor in hockey but it's overrated.

My point is height helps but it's not what makes the player a good one. If Desharnais was at 6'0, the way he's playing, he still would have 1 point so far

You pointed out smaller players who were superstars and extremely talented.

Our small players are just that. Small. And lacking the Gretzky skill level.

Orr and Diaz should never be mentioned in any comparison except for the fact that they are/were in the NHL.

Rock On

May 29, 2006
Saint-Jean
You pointed out smaller players who were superstars and extremely talented.

Our small players are just that. Small. And lacking the Gretzky skill level.

Orr and Diaz should never be mentioned in any comparison except for the fact that they are/were in the NHL.

So you agree Diaz is a smurf ? Because that was my point. The flaws of players like Diaz are not their height, it's their ratio height/skill. I'm mot a big fan of Diaz BTW.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Doesn't matter, you always call up the best player available regardless of his age or size.

The only thing I can think of that makes sense for this call up is that MB wants to reward players on the farm....make incentives for all players to work hard so they can be called up too..........

OR

Looking at St Pierre AHL stats I see he has played 516 games and has 509 penalty minutes....so maybe he is here to goon things up:sarcasm:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
When you recall someone who was signed specifically to mentor the youth on the farm, you know things are not going well. This guy is the Captain of the bulldogs. Habs being run by friggin amateurs. Maybe they will extend St. Pierre for 4 years tomorrow

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
The only thing I can think of that makes sense for this call up is that MB wants to reward players on the farm....make incentives for all players to work hard so they can be called up too..........

OR

Looking at St Pierre AHL stats I see he has played 516 games and has 509 penalty minutes....so maybe he is here to goon things up:sarcasm:

Well, given his age/experience, and his upcoming UFA status, I think DD's struggles created the perfect framework for giving St.Pierre the chance he perhaps deserves to get a bit of a deserving look in a few games before decisions are made to keep him, let him go, or whatever. If Habs brass sees that they get pretty much the same results out of $550K of Martin in DD's spot, for example, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start to more seriously consider DD's worth to them as an asset - whether St.Pierre is actually the guy they think of penciling in there instead, or not.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
When you recall someone who was signed specifically to mentor the youth on the farm, you know things are not going well. This guy is the Captain of the bulldogs. Habs being run by friggin amateurs. Maybe they will extend St. Pierre for 4 years tomorrow

That's a good point, for sure.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, given his age/experience, and his upcoming UFA status, I think DD's struggles created the perfect framework for giving St.Pierre the chance he perhaps deserves to get a bit of a deserving look in a few games before decisions are made to keep him, let him go, or whatever. If Habs brass sees that they get pretty much the same results out of $550K of Martin in DD's spot, for example, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start to more seriously consider DD's worth to them as an asset - whether St.Pierre is actually the guy they think of penciling in there instead, or not.

Pretty much this. He's playing well and will get an opportunity for his hard work. It's another message to his teammates that if you work hard you'll be advanced.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

Gretzky was 6'0 not 5'10, Richard was 5'10 when it was the average height of an NHL player, same thing can be said about Orr.

Right now the average height is 6'1, it wasn't the same in others eras.

You would have been better with Theo Fleury and Mats Naslund, but thoses guys had elite skills, unlike our small guys.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
So you agree Diaz is a smurf ? Because that was my point. The flaws of players like Diaz are not their height, it's their ratio height/skill. I'm mot a big fan of Diaz BTW.

Diaz is not a smurf. Nor is he physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad