Post-Game Talk: Habs blow 2 goal lead again lose 5-2 to Rags

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007
Not meant to be sarcastic. Just an observation on the logic . I may have read out of context. Apologies extended. Carry on. Cheers

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
well the guy I quoted was pretty clear, Tatar is among elite LWers, Danault is average offensively but Selke calibre defensively and Gallagher is elite RWer

so I'd say overall, based on what the guy I quoted was saying, our 1st line is elite.

I don’t disagree I just think there’s easily 15-20 top lines in the league even more elite than ours.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Reading you guys, I am baffled. If Tatar-Danault-Gallagher is an Elite hockey line, hockey has become a pathetic and boring sport.

Lol, they're not elite. They're an average 1st line, actually above average at ES (mostly because of solid defensive play while also putting up points), but below average on the PP so ends up producing less points overall. They're not nearly as bad of a 1st line as some make it out to be, but the "elite" part was just sarcasm. And we ABSOLUTELY need some elite PP talent to put up points.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Other site dailyfaceoff has that line as 17th best line 1 with Danault dragging the line with his 40th ranking as C

They can play the real problem is all the top 9-12 talent following up after and the defence

Wow I actually put them in the correct ranking pretty much. They’re right about middle of the pack for a top line

I need to watch all these hockey sites more I found a great redraft website and it was reallllllly depressing to see who we could have gotten

Reactions: MSSLYNX

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Lol, they're not elite. They're an average 1st line, actually above average at ES (mostly because of solid defensive play while also putting up points), but below average on the PP so ends up producing less points overall. They're not nearly as bad of a 1st line as some make it out to be, but the "elite" part was just sarcasm. And we ABSOLUTELY need some elite PP talent to put up points.

Honestly Danault is the main reason it’s not more elite dude doesn’t score goals

Reactions: Pomee

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Honestly Danault is the main reason it’s not more elite dude doesn’t score goals

Danault's issue is PP. Compared to nearly all other 1st line C, he does not produce on the PP (and thus lacks goals). He's filling the role fine at ES (obviously not elite, but he produces enough). But he doesn't pad up his stats on the PP (he also doesn't play a lot there, but it's with good reason, he shouldn't).

The thing is, it's not an issue in itself. It could totally work to have Danault as 1st line C at ES with another more offensive C racking up points on the PP. The problem is we DO NOT have another C racking up points on the PP. Suzuki actually started doing it though. If we can have him take that role, then we could even be successful with Danault keeping the role of 1st line C at 5v5 playing against the other team's top lines, because it actually works. His ES production is good enough, and his wingers ES production is good.

But if Suzuki is good enough at ES (and I think he can be), then he can fully take on 1C role, and Danault can have more defensive winger and fill the role of #2/3C getting sent against other team's top line as often as possible and spending extra time on the PK.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It really sucks knowing the Rangers and Habs were in a similar spot, one franchise picked a lane and committed to rebuilding while the other didn’t, and now the one that picked their lane is already on the upswing.
Panarin makes a huge difference too. What a player.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The Habs are a better team with Danault at center than Domi at center.

opinion. you've got nothing to support this.

Domi would never put up 72 points with average wingers.

he did put up 72 points with average wingers! lol Shaw, Drouin, Lehkonen. That's pretty average.

Meanwhile Danault has topped out at 53 points with the best wingers, and you'd be okay with 6M even though he might land on the 3rd line? Imagine Danault's production on the 3rd line. His point totals would likely dip to the 30's. 6M.

Reactions: MasterD

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Danault's issue is PP. Compared to nearly all other 1st line C, he does not produce on the PP (and thus lacks goals). He's filling the role fine at ES (obviously not elite, but he produces enough). But he doesn't pad up his stats on the PP (he also doesn't play a lot there, but it's with good reason, he shouldn't).

The thing is, it's not an issue in itself. It could totally work to have Danault as 1st line C at ES with another more offensive C racking up points on the PP. The problem is we DO NOT have another C racking up points on the PP. Suzuki actually started doing it though. If we can have him take that role, then we could even be successful with Danault keeping the role of 1st line C at 5v5 playing against the other team's top lines, because it actually works. His ES production is good enough, and his wingers ES production is good.

But if Suzuki is good enough at ES (and I think he can be), then he can fully take on 1C role, and Danault can have more defensive winger and fill the role of #2/3C getting sent against other team's top line as often as possible and spending extra time on the PK.
when his contracts up, what do you pay him?

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Panarin makes a huge difference too. What a player.

the thing is, if you get rid of aging players with big contracts, you get prospects, draft picks, and cap space. I get that NYC is an attractive destination, but you gotta have the room to add.

The habs could have sold Petry and Tatar, loading up on prospects and picks, then went to market with the cap savings.

Reactions: jaffy27

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
when his contracts up, what do you pay him?

Hopefully something between 4.5-5.5M/year for 5-7 years (the longer the least imo). I don't mind if it's slightly overpaid for a player you know will fill his role. Much better than overpaying for meh UFAs like Alzner. Imo a good 2/3C is worth 5M.

Reactions: jaffy27

JSR 56

Dec 18, 2017
Montreal
Hopefully something between 4.5-5.5M/year for 5-7 years (the longer the least imo). I don't mind if it's slightly overpaid for a player you know will fill his role. Much better than overpaying for meh UFAs like Alzner. Imo a good 2/3C is worth 5M.
but would he accept that if he is the teams #1 center?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
the thing is, if you get rid of aging players with big contracts, you get prospects, draft picks, and cap space. I get that NYC is an attractive destination, but you gotta have the room to add.

The habs could have sold Petry and Tatar, loading up on prospects and picks, then went to market with the cap savings.
Guess we’ll see what happens this summer.....it’s IMPOSSIBLE that we go with the same core and expect different results.

If one or both were not traded at the deadline, it’s gotta be at the draft.....I just pray that it’s one of them, or Drouin, too many of the same type players.

Hey!!....CBJ are probably gonna trade Anderson in the off season, that would be a start, just anything, throw us a bone Bergy, we’re f***ing hungry for something

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
opinion. you've got nothing to support this.

Obviously it's an opinion. What anyone says here about anything in the future is an opinion. But thanks for pointing it out.

he did put up 72 points with average wingers! lol Shaw, Drouin, Lehkonen. That's pretty average.

Meanwhile Danault has topped out at 53 points with the best wingers, and you'd be okay with 6M even though he might land on the 3rd line? Imagine Danault's production on the 3rd line. His point totals would likely dip to the 30's. 6M.

Well Drouin was in theory our best offensive winger. He's just highly inconsistent.

6M is definitely overpaid, and hopefully we get him lower. But I'd rather overpay for players that are good at their role than overpay for players that aren't or that are easily replaceable. You might think what Danault brings is easily replaceable. I don't. And I don't actually think his production would actually drop that much considering how he gets his points, but it would probably be more in the 40-50 range. But yes, it is an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad