Post-Game Talk: Habs blow 2 goal lead again lose 5-2 to Rags

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What's up with these ticky-tacky "gotcha" like posts lately? Yesterday I had a guy try to go after me for saying that Benn was used on our number one for a good portion last season and extrapolated from that that I was saying that he was more important than Petry.

YES we're a bubble team. We're falling out of it now that the playoffs are done but right up until now we've been right in it. And that is despite TWO eight game losing streaks. We've lost something like a dozen one goal games...

Does that mean I think we're good? Hell no. Does it mean I think we shouldn't rebuild? No. I think we have some good pieces but they are mostly older and should be moved on.

Is that clear enough for you?

Lol no, but it was amusing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The mandate use to be to win the cup
Then is became - just make the playoffs and anything can happen.
Molson recently changed it to - don't quit, try hard.

Where do we go from here?
Nothing changes until the GM is turfed. Even then though, ownership is key. Does he hang onto MB for long? If not, who does he hire next?

Does Molson actually want to win a cup? I'm not sure he really cares. We've had tons of capspace over the past few years and he's watched as we've disintegrated a good core to become also-rans overnight. And this has happened without us replacing the GM.

So either he doesn't care, or he's just dumb enough to think that MB knows what he's doing. Either way, it doesn't bode well for us.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Evans turns 24 on June 2nd. He needs to be tested in the NHL. Hes either ready now to be a bottom-six player (likely #4 c) or he will never be ready and we need to sign a number 4 c

Reactions: vokiel

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IMO they aren't as long as the situation remains. DumDum and DumDummer don't see a problem with Danault as a stakeholder. That is a huge problem. How have we not learned a thing in 8 bleeping years?

Who's we?

Dumb and Dumber is the answer. And they are the problem. Not Danault. Byron missed an even better chance than Danault, btw.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Ok, but it's not because they're not doing their job - unlike Bergevin, Julien, and Timmins.

It's absolutely because they are not doing their job. Are we in the playoff, are they the core? How many years in a row? Fire the players.

We always talk about firing coaches, GMs and Scouts. But at this point, we need to fire management and players.

Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, I can live with. Drouin's injury is a major one. Domi didn't have a bad season when you look at the details, not the best, but much closer to last year than fans proclaim. Gallagher, what there is to say? He's the soul. I would ask them if they want to stay 5 years to be part of the process or not, and if they want out trade them as well. Then I would start bringing UFA rentals to fill the ranks and get more assets for next draft while the kids are growing up.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Who's we?

Dumb and Dumber is the answer. And they are the problem. Not Danault. Byron missed an even better chance than Danault, btw.
First of all we as in the Organization. Second of all I am not referring to any specific play in any specific game. This is about building a proper team with the proper parts in their proper places. I'm not sure why you are so defensive on Danault's behalf? People aren't bashing him when they say he is a problem but him being essentially a crutch is.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
First of all we as in the Organization. Second of all I am not referring to any specific play in any specific game. This is about building a proper team with the proper parts in their proper places. I'm not sure why you are so defensive on Danault's behalf? People aren't bashing him when they say he is a problem but him being essentially a crutch is.

Who's crutch is he.

No one should be bashing Danault. Period. I don't know why people can't differentiate Danault from Julien. Posters will bash Danault, say Claude isn't the problem, then say man Domi or Suzuki should get time with our two best wingers. And then their conclusion is: Danault sucks, I hate Danault. Danault is the problem with this team.

REALLY??????????????

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Hold on a second.

The Rangers are a destination team. Who doesn't want to play in NY? Name me a premium UFA like Panarin that has signed with the Habs in the last 25 years? That's right, none. A player like Panarin can very quickly accelerate a team's rebuild.

Also, Fox wanted to play for the Rangers. They only had a shot at Fox because he wouldn't sign with the team that owned his rights at the time:

Harvard defenseman Adam Fox, whose NHL rights are owned by Carolina, won't be signing an entry-level deal with the Hurricanes, according to The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun, and the Jericho, N.Y. native is being linked to the Rangers.

The Hurricanes will try to trade Fox, owner Tom Dundon told The News & Observer. ...

LeBrun had recently mentioned that the Rangers are believed to be among the teams interested in Fox, a third-round pick from the 2016 draft, and it wouldn't be a surprise if the 21-year-old righty were interested in joining the Blueshirts, who were his favorite team growing up.

Could Hurricanes prospect Adam Fox end up with the Rangers?

The acquisition of Trouba also had a NY vortex appeal. Rangers knew that he wanted to be in NY so that his wife could practice medicine there, which apparently she couldn't do while Trouba was in Winnipeg. The Rangers knew how badly Trouba wanted to be in NY -- they were so confident in that, that they traded for him while he was on an expiring contract. An extension was negotiated after the fact. Again, another example of the city of NY acting like a magnet to secure a desired player's long-term signature with them.

Sure, the Rangers made a lot of trades but then again, your GM has a viable strategy, so that's a lethal combo.

However, the Rangers also accelerated their rebuild thanks to all of Fox, Trouba and Panarin itching to play in your market and not because of some particular brilliant decision-making -- all of these guys practically fell on Gorton's lap. Must be a lot of fun to have that kind of appeal.
It's not really the city, or the islanders would have the same success attracting FAs.

The problem is with the perception of the team, we have been mediocre for so long, we shy away from making bold decisions and making a splash at free agency, we never go all-in. Even when we were coming off the conference finals loss we still played it timid the following season.

We have a GM who is too cheap to pay good players fair market value or refuses to slightly overpay to beat offers from other teams. He disrespects players publicly by feuding with them through the reporters or robs them of milestone achievements like he did with Markov.

Players see how you treat your team, how you manage it, what you try to do to improve it and take that into consideration when deciding whether to consider an offer from you or not.

Optics matter and our team is perceived to be run by an incompetent joker and a clueless spoiled rich brat.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Typical. don't even know why you get so offended that someone is losing interest in this team. You always look more upset about how poster here react than how the Habs play. Are you even a fan of the team or you're just here to tell how people should react?

Typical. Lol the irony seeps from your post like pus from a wound. The only one offended and dictating what I should say is YOU and the mounds of posters here who just want to bitch about the team and hear nothing else.

We hear dramatic “I’m done” posts all the time.

Who the f*** cares? It’s currently a good thing that we’re losing, it’s what people want. Why would this game, of all games, make someone decide to stop following the team?

I’d love to hear the posts during a rebuild season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Who's crutch is he.

No one should be bashing Danault. Period. I don't know why people can't differentiate Danault from Julien. Posters will bash Danault, say Claude isn't the problem, then say man Domi or Suzuki should get time with our two best wingers. And then their conclusion is: Danault sucks, I hate Danault. Danault is the problem with this team.

REALLY??????????????

How many goals by Danault over the last 20 games? He's the first-line center.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How many goals by Danault over the last 20 games? He's the first-line center.

Who's fault is it he's the first line center?

Who should be the first line center: Danault or Suzuki? Why does Danault have to play with both Gallagher and Tatar? Can't Suzuki and/or Domi each get one of them?

Who's fault is that? FOR THE WHOLE FREAKIN YEAR?????????

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think it’s time to break up Tatar Danault Gally.

Offseason: move Drouin. It’s not working out.

Also, they shouldn’t enter the season with pending UFAs. Tatar, Gally, Petry and Danault should be traded if they don’t have new contracts. They have to be careful with the Danault contract. There’s a good chance he’ll be on the 3rd line in 2 or 3 years, conservatively.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Typical. Lol the irony seeps from your post like pus from a wound. The only one offended and dictating what I should say is YOU and the mounds of posters here who just want to bitch about the team and hear nothing else.

We hear dramatic “I’m done” posts all the time.

Who the f*** cares? It’s currently a good thing that we’re losing, it’s what people want. Why would this game, of all games, make someone decide to stop following the team?

I’d love to hear the posts during a rebuild season.
If it's a concentrated deliberate rebuild... it's fine. It really is.

Losing when you're supposedly a playoff team is a whole other story. And it's not just one season, it's four or five or something like that...

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Who's fault is it he's the first line center?

Who should be the first line center: Danault or Suzuki? Why does Danault have to play with both Gallagher and Tatar? Can't Suzuki and/or Domi each get one of them?

Who's fault is that? FOR THE WHOLE FREAKIN YEAR?????????

Doesn't matter who should be there, it doesn't absolve Danault of his own record.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Doesn't matter who should be there, it doesn't absolve Danault of his own record.

Which is actually very good. Not for a 1st line center, but he's not that, and I don't think many are arguing that.

At ES he's at 39 points, on pace for 45-50 which is actually excellent EVEN for a 1st line center, only truly elite centers are significantly above 50 ES points. He's at +17 (second in the team is +9). 55% on FO. He's not a good PP player so it doesn't increase his total points (which is still 2nd best in the team). And he's facing the opposing team's best line night in and night out.

I do not understand the hate on Danault at all. As opposed to say Desharnais who was in the same way overused in a position he shouldn't have been in, Danault is actually delivering everything you could ask him for in this same situation. Do you think Tatar and Gallagher would have produced a lot more with a "better" center? Tatar already hit his career high and is on pace for over 70 points, do you think he's supposed to be an 80+ points player but Danault is holding him back? Gallagher is on pace for roughly 30 goals/60 points, is he actually an absolutely elite winger that we can expect 70+ points from, but Danault is just not allowing him to reach his potential?

Danault is still fairly young at 27. He should absolutely be a part of our core going forward and he's one of the few moves from MB that truly improved the team.

He shouldn't be our 1st line center, fine, and hopefully Suzuki grows into a better 1st line center, gets the best offensive wingers and KK also develops as hoped and they are our #1 and #2 centers. But having the luxury of using Danault against the opposition's top lines while sending them against lesser opposition is part of the things that could make Montreal a contender in the future.

He shouldn't be used much if at all on the PP, he should dominate at ES and on the PK. But he actually does that ALREADY. And the type of game he's playing isn't one that will drastically diminish in the next few seasons, he's not relying on anything exceptional that will quickly diminish with age, he's just a very smart and hard-working player.

Saying Danault needs to go makes no sense at all. If he was 30+, fine. But he's not, and he should still be an excellent 2nd-3rd line center in 3-5 years when we might have a chance at being a contender (hopefully with another GM, because I do not believe for one second that MB will bring us there).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Which is actually very good. Not for a 1st line center, but he's not that, and I don't think many are arguing that.

At ES he's at 39 points, on pace for 45-50 which is actually excellent EVEN for a 1st line center, only truly elite centers are significantly above 50 ES points. He's at +17 (second in the team is +9). 55% on FO. He's not a good PP player so it doesn't increase his total points (which is still 2nd best in the team). And he's facing the opposing team's best line night in and night out.

I do not understand the hate on Danault at all. As opposed to say Desharnais who was in the same way overused in a position he shouldn't have been in, Danault is actually delivering everything you could ask him for in this same situation. Do you think Tatar and Gallagher would have produced a lot more with a "better" center? Tatar already hit his career high and is on pace for over 70 points, do you think he's supposed to be an 80+ points player but Danault is holding him back? Gallagher is on pace for roughly 30 goals/60 points, is he actually an absolutely elite winger that we can expect 70+ points from, but Danault is just not allowing him to reach his potential?

Danault is still fairly young at 27. He should absolutely be a part of our core going forward and he's one of the few moves from MB that truly improved the team.

He shouldn't be our 1st line center, fine, and hopefully Suzuki grows into a better 1st line center, gets the best offensive wingers and KK also develops as hoped and they are our #1 and #2 centers. But having the luxury of using Danault against the opposition's top lines while sending them against lesser opposition is part of the things that could make Montreal a contender in the future.

He shouldn't be used much if at all on the PP, he should dominate at ES and on the PK. But he actually does that ALREADY. And the type of game he's playing isn't one that will drastically diminish in the next few seasons, he's not relying on anything exceptional that will quickly diminish with age, he's just a very smart and hard-working player.

Saying Danault needs to go makes no sense at all. If he was 30+, fine. But he's not, and he should still be an excellent 2nd-3rd line center in 3-5 years when we might have a chance at being a contender (hopefully with another GM, because I do not believe for one second that MB will bring us there).

Lol, yes. What kind of question is this?

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I dont hate Danault - I think he's more valuable for the team when traded than playing, because he makes our W/L record better. And we need to lose in order to get top 3 picks ;)

We shouldn't have a top line centre who is not good enough to make the playoffs or is not progressing into that.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
I dont hate Danault - I think he's more valuable for the team when traded than playing, because he makes our W/L record better. And we need to lose in order to get top 3 picks ;)

We shouldn't have a top line centre who is not good enough to make the playoffs or is not progressing into that.

he’s been anointed the number 1 center. It’s insane. Imagine Brian skrudkand being your number 1 centerman. This should cost Claude his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad