Post-Game Talk: Habs' big guns all scored as they win 3-0 vs Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
the guy you replyed to is saying pretty much the same thing Kriss was saying you know...
(about TO / Boston)

are you the kind to (dis)agree depending on who's talking ?
The only point I agreed with Kriss is not to let the 3, 5 points fool us. Otherwise, I completely disagree with Kriss's take on things But continue to misrepresent people's posts. You're doing a fine job of it.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Reading the posts will answer your questions.
I did, and I failed to find an equivalent to this in your response to the Ice guy...

The only thing that never ceases to amaze me is the adject negativity and vitriol for this team from some of the supposed fan base.

guess replies changes depending who you're talking to, both saying the same thing...

look, dont bother replying to this, it's just internet stuff, not important. Only thing that is clear, we're better off not reading whatever you have to say.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The only point I agreed with Kriss is not to let the 3, 5 points fool us. Otherwise, I completely disagree with Kriss's take on things But continue to misrepresent people's posts. You're doing a fine job of it.
Sure I am...

the guy you replyed to is saying pretty much the same thing Kriss was saying you know...
(about TO / Boston)
<-<-<-<-<-<-<- kinda hard to miss, I mean, it's on a line of it's own and al"...

but yeah! I did not understand that obviously, otherwise I would have mentionned it or something... right ????

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I did, and I failed to find an equivalent to this in your response to the Ice guy...

The only thing that never ceases to amaze me is the adject negativity and vitriol for this team from some of the supposed fan base.

guess replies changes depending who you're talking to, both saying the same thing...

look, dont bother replying to this, it's just internet stuff, not important. Only thing that is clear, we're better off not reading whatever you have to say.

I doubt you read the posts because it’s pretty clear what one said and the other didn’t.

To answer your question, I rarely if ever even check who writes what posts. I look at the content of the post on its own. I’ve agreed and diasagreed vigorously with different posters on different points.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I doubt you read the posts because it’s pretty clear what one said and the other didn’t.
so, you're saying they're not in agreement when it comes to the pts difference with TO/Boston ? that is clear to you ?

I don't know about you, but I remember one poster telling you (s)he agrees with the other poster on the matter, and I also remember telling you they were saying the same thing on said matter, I even added ( ) for clarity... that both you and your new buddy completely missed it seems.

maybe you thought I was talking about TO's blue Jays ? and "whatever baseball team" Boston ?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
so, you're saying they're not in agreement when it comes to the pts difference with TO/Boston ? that is clear to you ?

I don't know about you, but I remember one poster telling you (s)he agrees with the other poster on the matter, and I also remember telling you they were saying the same thing on said matter, I even added ( ) for clarity... that both you and your new buddy completely missed it seems.

maybe you thought I was talking about TO's blue Jays ? and "whatever baseball team" Boston ?

Your sole focus is on one point and your blinders are avoiding all the other points. Maybe you did read the posts but your singular view is blinding you to the point I was objecting to.

The irony is the post you quoted, he actually says he only agrees on one point. You’ve decided to focus on that one point and ignore all the other ones, I guess to try and make a point?

Open your eyes and open your mind. Life is more fun that way.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Your sole focus is on one point and your blinders are avoiding all the other points. Maybe you did read the posts but your singular view is blinding you to the point I was objecting to.

Open your eyes and open your mind. Life is more fun that way.

the point ? more like a rant yeah, wich I don't care about one bit.

Given the difference in respose you gave to two different people saying the exact same thing, I suggest you follow your own advice.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
the point ? more like a rant yeah, wich I don't care about one bit.

Given the difference in respose you gave to two different people saying the exact same thing, I suggest you follow your own advice.

Follow among now.

Again, all depends on what the plan is. Right now, we have no clue. Are we rebuilding? Are we just going with the flow? Are you preparing to make a push? Nobody knows, not even our moronic GM and clueless owner know. We have no set direction.
Would I have traded for Giroux last year? No, but that's because I have said we should be rebuilding for the past 2 seasons already. If we're not going to do that, then there is only one other option, compete ASAP while Weber and Price still have a few years to hopefully give us. So ya, I would have traded my first picks in order to get proven vets, I would have done a Sergachev vs Giroux swap. I also would have found a way to re-sign Radu+Markov.

We need a direction. Personally I want to keep rebuilding, so get rid of Price and Weber especially if we can pry some potentially very high top picks. Of course, if Philly also wants to rebuild, well they won't give up that selection for Price and instead are more likely to trade Giroux. I don't know where they stand but I'd definitely be discussing things with them trying to sell Price.

So if I were in charge, I'd definitely be calling those two teams to get their picks and I don't think it would be impossible.

Fantastic to see Price coming back to his superior self and Weber shutting down the top offensive line in the NHL. If not for the 795 posts we’ve hit in the past 10 games or so and out putrid PP, I think we’re right there with Toronto and Boston near the top of the division.

If we can get some help on LD and a bit more scoring up front, this is a competitive team. Any talk of trading Price or Weber is beyond the realm of reality. They’re not going anywhere. Without them we’re completely rudderless as a franchise and back to the days right after we traded Roy and a decade away from being competitive.

After a terrible last few games where our offence dried up, we’ve been skunked on the power play and hit an inordinate number of posts each game, we are 3 and 5 points behind Boston and Toronto. If we convert some of those opportunities then we take a couple or more of those games. Hardly a stretch of the imagination considering how close we are in the standings.

The only thing that never ceases to amaze me is the adject negativity and vitriol for this team from some of the supposed fan base. The ironic part is that if any of you had your way, this franchise would be in shambles for years to come.

Although I agree with most of your post, there's no converting opportunities into extra points. The Habs are a bubble team. Kriss is right when he says don't let the 3, 5 points from Boston and T.O. fool you. Or to put it another way we're also 3, 5 points away from Carolina. This year's Habs is a decent team but we're still missing players.

Totally agree. Never said otherwise, in fact I said the same in my earlier post. I don’t however think trading Price or Weber makes us better, now or in the long term though.

Notice how in my first response I said I wouldn’t trade Price or Weber because it would set us back like the Roy trade did? Kind of an important part of my post. Also see how I said that if not for so,e bad luck we’re right there with Bos amd Tor? See how Habs icing said he agrees with most of my post? See how you’re singularly arguing that one part of the larger argument and how you have zero context for what I had originally posted except to cherry pick one aspect of it?

Coincidentally, if my rational posts are your idea of “ranting” then you need to toughen up buttercup. The world is a lot rantier than anything I’ve ever posted and I have a feeling you haven’t figured that out yet ;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
After a terrible last few games where our offence dried up, we’ve been skunked on the power play and hit an inordinate number of posts each game, we are 3 and 5 points behind Boston and Toronto. If we convert some of those opportunities then we take a couple or more of those games. Hardly a stretch of the imagination considering how close we are in the standings.

The only thing that never ceases to amaze me is the adject negativity and vitriol for this team from some of the supposed fan base. The ironic part is that if any of you had your way, this franchise would be in shambles for years to come.
Yes, it's a big stretch. Not to mention at some point Boston played with 5 of their regular Ds out.
Who are you kidding man. Habs are nowhere those two teams. Tavares Matthews Marner...loll...Ya, we are right there with them..just a couple points!

Maybe if the team wasn't as crappy as its been for years and didn't have GMs that seem to be understanding where the league is headed less than even some of its fans, there wouldn't be as much negativity.
For years fans have brought up the flaws in Therrien's system, the incompetency of the development team, the issues with the lack of talent, the NHL transition to a more possession/skill style of game instead of bigger/aggressive, maybe had the geniuses hired to lead our team been as quick as some fans, we wouldn't have to deal with this no-cup in 25 years thing....
You're annoyed with the constant negativity?? Good for you mate. I'm f***ing pissed off we haven't won jack shit in 25 years. I think that's more important.
Now you get all excited because we are barely clinging onto a PO spot..good for you. I really can't wait for you to tell me ''I told you so'' when we contend for the cup this year or the next. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: MaxDummy

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs got owned on home ice recently against Boston...I hope for a better result.
I think Price gets the start and Niemi plays against Florida

Reactions: Milhouse40

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Ott's and Philly's firsts can turn out to be Hedmans or Matthews and then again they can turn out to be Galchenyuks and Drouins and if the hockey gods really want to have fun they can turn out to be Yakupovs and Siemens. That's one problem with your plan. Another problem is your team will change drastically in four years. Go compare any team's roster from today to four year's ago. So you're making plans not knowing what you will have in four years.

My take is we have a decent team right now. And an extremely young team. One of the youngest. Build on that. We have two different philosophies.

Yes, maybe it's Matthews, maybe it's Yakupov, but even Yakupov could have been traded early while still valuable. McGuire at the time said that if he were in Edmonton's shoes, he'd ask Montreal for Subban if he were to send the #1 overall their way. Not saying Mtl would have done that, but just goes to show you how a #1 overall, at the time of the draft, is always valuable.
It only becomes a problem if you don't manage your asset well.
Also, if we have our pick + phillies + ottawas...that's 3 potential top 10 picks. Considering we would lose Price-Weber, maybe that drops us down to bottom 5, and lands us three top 5 picks.

How will our team look like in 4 years...Nobody knows for us, and they don't know for any team. What will Edmonton look like? Philly? Toronto? Nashville? And every other team? Nobody knows. Not sure how that's an argument or problem.
But I can tell you that with my plan, the objective is to stock up more kids this year+next. After that, you start trading some prospects and signing support players to become more competitive.
Of course, if you do that and end up trading Eberle for Strome as well as Hall for Larsson, well then that's a different problem.

Ya...we are a decent team, far from contention, struggling to cling onto that last PO spot, with no clear direction as to whether we will trade futures for present help, trade vets for future help, or just not take much risk either way and ride the wave...wait for our current prospects to develop, while our veterans drop in efficacy....and we can watch us make the same mistakes again....Super. Can't wait.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Notice how in my first response I said I wouldn’t trade Price or Weber because it would set us back like the Roy trade did? Kind of an important part of my post. Also see how I said that if not for so,e bad luck we’re right there with Bos amd Tor? See how Habs icing said he agrees with most of my post? See how you’re singularly arguing that one part of the larger argument and how you have zero context for what I had originally posted except to cherry pick one aspect of it?

Coincidentally, if my rational posts are your idea of “ranting” then you need to toughen up buttercup. The world is a lot rantier than anything I’ve ever posted and I have a feeling you haven’t figured that out yet ;)

The Roy trade set us back because the return was garbage, not because we traded him.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yes, it's a big stretch. Not to mention at some point Boston played with 5 of their regular Ds out.
Who are you kidding man. Habs are nowhere those two teams. Tavares Matthews Marner...loll...Ya, we are right there with them..just a couple points!

Maybe if the team wasn't as crappy as its been for years and didn't have GMs that seem to be understanding where the league is headed less than even some of its fans, there wouldn't be as much negativity.
For years fans have brought up the flaws in Therrien's system, the incompetency of the development team, the issues with the lack of talent, the NHL transition to a more possession/skill style of game instead of bigger/aggressive, maybe had the geniuses hired to lead our team been as quick as some fans, we wouldn't have to deal with this no-cup in 25 years thing....
You're annoyed with the constant negativity?? Good for you mate. I'm ****ing pissed off we haven't won jack **** in 25 years. I think that's more important.
Now you get all excited because we are barely clinging onto a PO spot..good for you. I really can't wait for you to tell me ''I told you so'' when we contend for the cup this year or the next. Looking forward to it.

So your answer is to blow everything up? Start from scratch? How’d that work for Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Panthers, St. Louis etc etc etc.

By trading our only two superstars, you’re completely destroying the core of our team and hoping to draft multiple generational talents in the next few years and hope they develop in the years after that. That’s a loooong shot at best. Far better is what we’re doing now. Build and draft around the core we have which is based around two star players and have them help to ushe in the next generation coming up.

As for Toronto, what exactly have they accomplished? They haven’t won a playoff series in how many years? They have no D and their goalies are a huge question mark. Boston played without star players for much of the year, well so did Montreal. No Weber and Price was playing injured for much of the season.

Is Montreal a contender now? Absolutely not. They just began a retool and have done an exceptional job so far in drafting excellent young players. If we can add an offensive star and a PMD, supplement that with good, cheap young talent in the next year or two, then yes, we can absolutely be contenders in the next couple of years. So no, we’re not as far from Toronto and Boston as you make it out to be. But your super negative outlook makes us out to be one of the worst teams and on a downward trend. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The Roy trade set us back because the return was garbage, not because we traded him.

Trading for picks doesn’t guarantee we won’t get garbage back. No bottom 5 team is trading for Price. So if you think the solution for this franchise is a mid 20’s pick, I have a bridge to sell you.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think you've missed the point entirely.
No I didn't.

Price has a massive deal, is injury prone and not playing up to his contract. Why would anyone give a 2nd or 4th overall pick for him? Why?
Because they are incredibly desperate, hence having used 7 goalies in half a season already. We are not talking about ''anyone'', we are talking specifically about a team that has struggled for decades to get a goalie. Say what you will about Price, he's still considered by most as one of the Best, if not the best, goalies in the NHL.

Weber is 33 years old and coming off an season long injury and has a contract that is designed to make him retire in maybe 4 years.
And I keep reading how his age doesn't matter because of how he plays the game. Also, Avs are in desperate need of a #1 Dman.

Why would anyone trade a top pick for any of them? i'm not saying they've valueless or anything. I'm just saying what you're asking for will never ever happen. You can say we lack a direction and that's fine but even if we did you aren't getting those picks for them two, zero chance...negative chance. There is no way. If you suggested it on trade board you might get banned from the forum. It's horrible for those teams.
And I'm pretty sure you would have never thought Varlamov or Schneider could fetch such a high return either.
I'm not saying it will happen, and we don't have to get that return specifically. Point is, trade those guys for a very good return.

As for Giroux. The point is this: He is younger, healthier and more productive than any of Price and Weber right now. The question is...even if we were a better team would you have traded Kotkaniemi for Giroux after his 58 point season? If you say yes you're crazy. There was no chance. It's the same...but worse with price and Weber. They're older, coming off injuries/injury prone and signed to contracts that aren't pretty. Giroux's contract ends when he's 35...not 40.
Again. It all depends on the direction, so if we decided to go all in then yes, I would have traded a 3rd ov for Giroux. But that requires vision, structure, and a plan. If we are set to compete, then we need help right now, not in 2-3 years hopefully. I got all in 100%.

So if you want to trade Price and Weber that's fine but please have a dramatically more realistic expectation of the return. You will not get top 5 picks for them, don't even bother with that. I think they need to prove themselves(and their health) for more than 20 games and that they can fetch a good return but it won't be top 5 picks.
I disagree with you there is zero chance those team would move their picks. I think Philly is less likely. The Avs however, I think they could be willing to part with their pick for Weber.
But the picks merely represent value. If you can get a similar return from other teams in terms of value, that's fine.
I think teams would willingly pay a hefty return for those guys.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Trading for picks doesn’t guarantee we won’t get garbage back. No bottom 5 team is trading for Price. So if you think the solution for this franchise is a mid 20’s pick, I have a bridge to sell you.
It doesn't have to be a top 5 pick, point is we can get a very good return. A lot more than just a ''mid 20'' pick.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yes, maybe it's Matthews, maybe it's Yakupov, but even Yakupov could have been traded early while still valuable. McGuire at the time said that if he were in Edmonton's shoes, he'd ask Montreal for Subban if he were to send the #1 overall their way. Not saying Mtl would have done that, but just goes to show you how a #1 overall, at the time of the draft, is always valuable.
It only becomes a problem if you don't manage your asset well.
C'mon, man. McGuire. Really? Pee-Air McGuire. Using him to buttress your argument should be enough warning for you. If McGuire agrees with you, you're on the wrong track.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
C'mon, man. McGuire. Really? Pee-Air McGuire. Using him to buttress your argument should be enough warning for you. If McGuire agrees with you, you're on the wrong track.
You did not address anything I said. Just a gratuitous jab at McGuire..I mean, do you disagree with him that a #1 OV has high value?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You did not address anything I said. Just a gratuitous jab at McGuire..I mean, do you disagree with him that a #1 OV has high value?
It wasn't a gratuitous shot at McGuire. McGuire is the canary in the coal mine. If he gets an idea you should know it's the wrong one.

But let's go to your question. Here are the #1 OV picks from 2008 to 2017. You tell me which ones are BETTER than P.K.
Stamkos
Tavares
Hall
Nugent Hopkins
Yakupov
MacKinnon
Ekblad
McDavid
Matthews
Hischier

I would say only one: McDavid. Some will argue Matthews and I don't want to argue so I'll say sure. In 10 years worth of drafting #1 you get one, maybe two, players better than P.K.

Now how many are not as good? Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov, Ekblad, Hischier. Five of those picks are worse than the bird you had in hand.

Four, maybe three, are as good.

And we went with the best case scenario. I gave you the #1 OV pick.

You a gambling man?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So your answer is to blow everything up? Start from scratch? How’d that work for Edmonton, Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, Panthers, St. Louis etc etc etc.
Those teams didn't ''blow everything up''...You have a flare for the dramatic mate. Nothing is gonna blow up...What are you scared of? To blow up this amazing team who's barely clinging onto 8th spot and has missed the POs 2 out of the past 3 seasons?? Oh lordy Lord...please don't blow us up.

By trading our only two superstars, you’re completely destroying the core of our team and hoping to draft multiple generational talents in the next few years and hope they develop in the years after that. That’s a loooong shot at best. Far better is what we’re doing now. Build and draft around the core we have which is based around two star players and have them help to ushe in the next generation coming up.
Lol..far better is what we are doing now...ya, that has worked for us so well in 12-13 onward.
Bergevin back then was saying the same garbage ''not mortgaging the future''...Smart.
You believe in this core and how it's good enough to build around? Okay. Trade some of our prospects to improve our current roster. If you're going to wait for Suzuki, Poehling, Romanov, Brook, to come around...well you're going to watch Domi have to sign a big extension, same with Petry, those two superstars of yours will also decline...Round and round we go into our perpetual state of ''good but not good enough''.
You'd think people would have understood by now that this is as much of a failing plan as believing all you need to do is tank to win.

As for Toronto, what exactly have they accomplished? They haven’t won a playoff series in how many years? They have no D and their goalies are a huge question mark. Boston played without star players for much of the year, well so did Montreal. No Weber and Price was playing injured for much of the season.
Both those teams are much better than us. I mean, I'm not going to waste time even debating this.

Is Montreal a contender now? Absolutely not. They just began a retool and have done an exceptional job so far in drafting excellent young players. If we can add an offensive star and a PMD, supplement that with good, cheap young talent in the next year or two, then yes, we can absolutely be contenders in the next couple of years. So no, we’re not as far from Toronto and Boston as you make it out to be. But your super negative outlook makes us out to be one of the worst teams and on a downward trend. Nothing could be further from the truth.
That's right. They began a retool about 6 months ago, and fans are getting excited because we score more goals than predicted so hey, forget about that retool...no need anymore! We are almost a contender! Lol.
I don't think we are one of the worst teams. I think we have holes that need to be rebuild through more drafting or prospects, and I see our contending window open in 3-4 years. That is what we have to build on. So are Weber and Price worth keeping for another 3-4 years and then hopefully they won't have regressed too much by then? Or should we pull the plug on them now, get the most value out of them while we still can and focus on developing our future young core?
I'm more concerned about being solid in the future. If you believe in Price-Weber leading us, then we should be moving prospects and picks to make the team better ASAP....not wait a few more years for prospects to be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad