Post-Game Talk: Habs' big guns all scored as they win 3-0 vs Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It was 10% to you, which was a very harsh percentage that you obviously put that low just for argument sakes. Suggesting Tavares and Stamkos are clearly not better than Subban is pure BS. Shrugging off Matthews as a maybe..loll Dude. Please.

But again, for the 3rd time, that was not the point. The point is a #1 OV pick has a very high trade value. Whether you should move a roster player for it now or not is an entire different discussion and mostly depends on what player+which team.
If it wasn't the point then why did you pick and name PK. It was you, not me, that mentioned PK as an example. I ran with your example and tried to demonstrate where it ain't as clear cut a win as you're trying to make it seem.

And that's exactly where your approach starts to fall apart, When you start to take concrete examples. Like a PK, a Weber or a Price. How many people would trade a PK on a gamble where it's not exactly 100% certain of landing a Tavares? Maybe it's 60%, maybe it's 40%. Maybe it's 10%. Even if Tavares is a better value than PK - which I don't think he is - does the gamble warrant the chance of not picking up a Tavares? I don't think so. You do. That's where we differ.

And I've conceded to you the #1 OV pick and we both know the draft lottery won't be as generous. So your approach becomes all the more dicey as your return goes down the draft order. Would you trade a PK or a Weber or a Price for #2 OV? A #3? A#7?

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If it wasn't the point then why did you pick and name PK. It was you, not me, that mentioned PK as an example. I ran with your example and tried to demonstrate where it ain't as clear cut a win as you're trying to make it seem.

And that's exactly where your approach starts to fall apart, When you start to take concrete examples. Like a PK, a Weber or a Price. How many people would trade a PK on a gamble where it's not exactly 100% certain of landing a Tavares? Maybe it's 60%, maybe it's 40%. Maybe it's 10%. Even if Tavares is a better value than PK - which I don't think he is - does the gamble warrant the chance of not picking up a Tavares? I don't think so. You do. That's where we differ.
@LyricalLyricist see what i mean? Plenty of people here wouldn't even take the top picks.

My PK was just a name an insider used that I remember. If you watch those draft shows and they go into what a team could give to fetch that first, they will drop names every year.
Point being, a top pick is very valuable. That's all there was to it.

And I've conceded to you the #1 OV pick and we both know the draft lottery won't be as generous. So your approach becomes all the more dicey as your return goes down the draft order. Would you trade a PK or a Weber or a Price for #2 OV? A #3? A#7?
Depends on context. Are we in 2012 with PK set to explode as our #1 and we're looking at Galchenyuk type of pick? Well no. I'll keep my young star in the making because he's also quite young and full of potential, closer to reaching it than that prospect.
Are we talking about 33yo Weber on a rebuild team on a year where we could get Kakko?? Hmm..ya..I very strongly think I would.
It doesn't matter if it creates a hole on D right now because competing is not the objective. Stocking up a bunch of massively talented prospect with very high potential should be priority numero uno.
Once we have enough, we can use some of those kids to build up the rest.

That is what I think we should do. If you think we already have a good enough base with Domi, Weber, Price, KK, and the likes, well we should be moving the Poehling, Brook, Romanov, picks, in order to get immediate help.
What I really want to see is a clear cut direction taken. This not-mortgaging-the-future-and-also-not-rebuilding position is the worst thing we can do.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
so what you're saying is 2021-2022 - > defining year ???

WOOOOOOOHOOOO!!!:vhappy:

Sure. But we're going to need those blue blindfolds from Bird Box to make it safely there.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Drouin could use some encouragement with our fan base when he does make good plays.

I'll give a 5 minute cheer for every 100$ he can shell out to the poor.

Dear lord... he's a millionaire hockey player.

I'll shed a tear for all the billions of people who live through preventable structural violence everyday while the sheeps are blinded and asleep and comfortable in the precious personal egotistical bubble of wants and personal inconsequential drama.

Value system disorder in plain sight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll give a 5 minute cheer for every 100$ he can shell out to the poor.

Dear lord... he's a millionaire hockey player.

I'll shed a tear for all the billions of people who live through preventable structural violence everyday while the sheeps are blinded and asleep and comfortable in the precious personal egotistical bubble of wants and personal inconsequential drama.

Value system disorder in plain sight.

So you choose to also throw him under the bus when he plays well? Interesting way to treat our Habs players with skill.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So you choose to also throw him under the bus when he plays well? Interesting way to treat our Habs players with skill.

It's funny cuz you're still chasticizing about cheers given to a millionaire when I clearly stated something big and horrendous and actually consequential to all our lives, but you're still there trying to be oh so moral about something so inconsequential.

VALUE SYSTEM DISORDER

I'll keep on cheering for the people where it actually matters.

Ignorance is bliss I guess

Btw.. not only are you ignorant of where morals should apply, you have your head so far up your *** that you have to INVENT intent and put words into my mouth.

Where have i thrown Drouin under the bus wheh he has performed?

NOWHERE

Reactions: ECWHSWI

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I never argued Price couldn't play well. I think he still is very good and valuable, hence me suggesting we get Philly's first in a trade for him.
I think he can be good for a few years...35+ though is a mystery, especially considering he gets injured every year.

We had a pretty good defense in front of him in 14-15 and he won every trophy he could win during regular season. That didn't do us much good in the end.

Of course, I don't think it will happen either. I just said that's what we should be doing, but arguing with posters who are suggesting otherwise.
I don't think anybody here thinks Bergevin will trade Price or Weber.

And as I told you, the rebuild you want won't happen with Bergevin here either.
He is a terrible GM, he's not going to build us into a contender.

We agree on the last part.....Bergevin isn't the guy to build anything so far. So one way or the other, if we want to get our heads above waters, the first move that has to be made is him out the door.

As for your trade, for me that pick isn't enough for Price....not close. Would be okay for Weber tho.

We're supposed to be in a "reset".

Now that we've had more than half a season's worth of whatever this is, what would you say is the difference between this "reset" and the rebuilds you've seen?

Bergevin is still trying to do it half way.....stock with players that he fell in love with and can't let go of as other simply traded. Yes it's a reset/Retool. But even then, not sure how great it has been.

Bruins went out in the same week and got 3 first round pick, 2 second round pick and some prospects. In the span of 4 days.
Rangers again in the same week, got 2 first round pick, 2 second round pick (And one of those will turn into another 1st if Tampa wins the cup this year) with a bunch of players and prospect.

Now, not sure how impress in Bergevin we should be, he got what? 2 second round pick and ONE prospect
It's not really the same dedications here.

All we need is our Pastrnak..Bergeron...and Marchand, then we be golden...as long as we can also add a Krug or McAvoy.

That's pretty much the problem.....he thinks he has them in Danault, Gallagher and Drouin and they are not just there yet...bad evaluation of talents always been a problem with MB

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's funny cuz you're still chasticizing about cheers given to a millionaire when I clearly stated something big and horrendous and actually consequential to all our lives, but you're still there trying to be oh so moral about something so inconsequential.

VALUE SYSTEM DISORDER

I'll keep on cheering for the people where it actually matters.

Ignorance is bliss I guess

So are you saying cause he is a millionaire, he should be treated differently? So because Price is overpaid by $1-$2M, he needs to steel game after game for us all the time? When he doesn't, you throw him under the bus? The team that we ice in front of him means nothing in terms of what we expect from Price?

I take a different approach as a fan. I prefer to talk about some of the areas our players need to improve but I also cheer from them to be better and when they produce, I like to be happy about it. A more positive approach and maybe the player gains more confidence vs having the crowd boo their every mistake.... especially young players.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
So are you saying cause he is a millionaire, he should be treated differently? So because Price is overpaid by $1-$2M, he needs to steel game after game for us all the time? When he doesn't, you throw him under the bus?

I take a different approach as a fan. I prefer to talk about some of the areas our players need to improve but I also cheer from them to be better and when you produce, I like to be happy about it. A more positive approach and maybe the player gains more confidence vs having the crowd boo their every mistake.... especially young players.

Again. Please refrain from inventing stuff. Or INVENTING intent. Please refrain from judging other's people involvement with something so inconsequential when your efforts could be put into something a lot more constructive.

I seem to be talking by myself. Something fundamental is not registering inside your mind.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again. Please refrain from inventing stuff. Or INVENTING intent. Please refrain from judging other's people involvement with something so inconsequential when your efforts could be put into something a lot more constructive.

I seem to be talking by myself. Something fundamental is not registering inside your mind.

Your right, I made a comment about our fan base avoiding throwing our players under the bus and supporting them when they do well. You (I assumed) think that because they are millionaires, they should be able to handle criticism. There is some truth to it but I prefer to be more positive as a fan and support our talent... especially when they perform well. Maybe it encourages them to work harder and get better to maintain that level of play

I don't like throwing our talent under the bus. Never will. Sorry you disagree with this

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
@LyricalLyricist see what i mean? Plenty of people here wouldn't even take the top picks.

My PK was just a name an insider used that I remember. If you watch those draft shows and they go into what a team could give to fetch that first, they will drop names every year.
Point being, a top pick is very valuable. That's all there was to it.

Just because MB or someone on our side wouldn't do it doesn't mean someone on their side would.

If we win lottery and get 1st overall would you trade it for Subban? I wouldn't even consider it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just because MB or someone on our side wouldn't do it doesn't mean someone on their side would.

If we win lottery and get 1st overall would you trade it for Subban? I wouldn't even consider it.
Again. It depends. You value #1 overall extremely high. You would only move it for guys like Crosby and McDavid...and even then, you would still question it because of age and contract.
Personally, if I'm Edmonton and Mtl offers me Subban for the first in 2012, hellz ya I make this trade. You kidding me? lol

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Win or lose, 75% of the posts in PGTs end up being about Drouin.

2lw2hq.jpg

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Again. It depends. You value #1 overall extremely high. You would only move it for guys like Crosby and McDavid...and even then, you would still question it because of age and contract.
Personally, if I'm Edmonton and Mtl offers me Subban for the first in 2012, hellz ya I make this trade. You kidding me? lol

That's not what I asked though.

Habs have a goalie you think is worth 2nd overall and a D you think is worth 4th overall. They have a young forward group with a potential #1C in Kotkaniemi. They have Poehling and Suzuki coming soon too. Brook, Romanov and others who have top 4 D upside.

If we finished last this year and got 1st overall...would you trade it for Subban?

Don't be biased and talk about other teams. Our team. Would you not find a way to find two top end D, a former hart and vezina winner and a young forward group under the cap?

You wouldn't. You'll say its different, we suck. Yet philly finished last 2 years ago and got Nolan and may get a top 2 pick again but they're just dying to wager it all on a goalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->