News Article: Habs Best Drafting Team In NHL??

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Check today's Detroit News for a homer assessment of Detroit's last 20 yrs and it stills notes the major failings: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140625/SPORTS0103/306250007

One of the clues that even this assessment is biased in Detroit's favour is the rating of Kyle Quincey, who was discarded for nothing and reacquired for nothing and out of desperation, at that.

The Detroit drafting myth is one of my biggest peeves b/c it's just such a terrible, overrated myth, on par with the European kids don't have character myth. And, unlike some people around here who offer three word posts to jack up their score and then offer "check my posts" as their answer to questions, I have actually detailed this myth extensively.

For your own edification, check: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html

Cory Emerton?
Landon Ferraro?
Tom McCollum?

Oh, and for those who say, yeah, but it's their Euro scouting, just check their entire 2001 draft. Superior Euro scouting.

That assessment didn't look that homeristic... then again, they draft in the top-20 only for the second time in the past 20+ years.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
But the best in the league? That one is a questionable claim.

Sure. It's probably impossible to anoint a Best Drafting Team in the NHL (tm) given the sheer randomness of the process and the variations in draft position and so on.

But let me ask you something. Which other clubs do you feel belong in the conversation?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Sure. It's probably impossible to anoint a Best Drafting Team in the NHL (tm) given the sheer randomness of the process and the variations in draft position and so on.

But let me ask you something. Which other clubs do you feel belong in the conversation?

I was going to give you the obvious answer: the Kings and then I went to take a look at their draft picks since 2003. And you know what? They weren't better than the Habs. So what was the difference maker? The GM made shrewd, constructive trades to complement the scouts' picks.

So this is all to say that Timmins could be hands down the best head scout ever but if the team is anchored down by GMs such as dumb & dumber - I really gotta thank Whitesnake for that nickname - then Timmins is gonna look bad.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
That assessment didn't look that homeristic... then again, they draft in the top-20 only for the second time in the past 20+ years.

Not a reader, then?
Did you not notice the parts where types like Smith are listed as "stars" in the making?
Did you not notice that the basis of the myth is their ability to spot hidden gems--so drafting inside 20 is not relevant--especially Euros?
Did you not notice that Zetterberg and Datsyuk are the basis of that myth (and the entire extent of the proof) and they've been around since when?
Did you not notice that an equally important reason they don't draft inside 20 is b/c they've forfeited and/or traded 1st picks and this impacts their final position?

Nynja*

Like i said earlier
I dont believe Detroit let Datsyul go to 171 because "they knew he was a gem" and decided to draft 5 other players who will have never played a NHL game before him.

They flung mud and it stuck

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I agree with you here. Although, I don't think Timmins is average. I think he's above average but is treated like some sort of god here. He has hit on some picks and flopped on others like many scouts from other decent teams. We also don't know which picks were totally his call. We seem to give him the kudos for the home runs like Halak, PK, Pacioretty, etc.... but he takes no blame for Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Leblanc, Fischer, Chipchura, etc.

Still think he's a pretty good scout. Just not great like people say here. I can't really dog Timmins too much since Habs had such poor player development and asset management.

Who's better than Timmins?

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Like i said earlier
I dont believe Detroit let Datsyul go to 171 because "they knew he was a gem" and decided to draft 5 other players who will have never played a NHL game before him.

They flung mud and it stuck

:handclap::yo:

(although these are the appropriate gestures, i don't want to be mistaken for the people who pad their score with ad nauseum replies--especially gdt--and claim that it matters).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad