News Article: Habs Best Drafting Team In NHL??

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Quality is a better measure than quantity, and we have not had the quality, especially in the first round. 0 final appearances in that time frame

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Quality is a better measure than quantity, and we have not had the quality, especially in the first round. 0 final appearances in that time frame

To be fair he's had 3 Top 10 picks in that time frame, one who became our franchise player and another was just drafted two years ago. What more can we expect when we never allow ourselves to be a pitiful team?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Montreal saw 14 draft picks play over 200 games, the best total in the league.

I think we did get quality.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal saw 14 draft picks play over 200 games, the best total in the league.

I think we did get quality.

Number of games played =/= quality.

Quality is performance, numbers. Guy who contribute significantly. Points, ice time. Not how many games they played.

And I agree with the previous poster that number of games is meaningless and that quality matters more than quantity.

But at the same time, I do believe we got quality.

Guys like McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Gallagher and possibly Galchenyuk, Tinordi and Beaulieu. That's a lot of really good useful players with almost no top 10 picks. Not sure there are many teams who did better than us unless they had a lot of top 10 picks.

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2104441-ranking-the-10-best-drafting-teams-in-the-nhl/page/11

So apparently we are the best drafting team now? I always thought Detroit was...

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Detroit used to be the best drafting team. They benefited from drafting the likes of Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom for nearly two decades but since them their picks haven't been that impressive. People complain about the Habs' first round drafting because of duds like Fischer but Detroit's first round picks have been generally quite lackluster, not just because they always draft low. What Detroit really had that we didn't is the patience to develop the players they drafted. They hold on to players even when they play below expectations and mold them into useful players, easing them slowly into the lineup. Habs on the other hand have a tendency to burn and trade players very young. Hopefully this changes in the Bergevin era.

Last edited:

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
We are the best drafting team in the NHL, look at the draft picks in the past 10 years and who has made the NHL as a regular regardless of weather they are still in Montreal, not re-signed or traded etc.

McDonagh, Subban and Markov alone are 3 of the best defenseman in the league at one point or another in their career, now imagine if we still had all three and Beauchemin and Robidas?

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
We are the best drafting team in the NHL, look at the draft picks in the past 10 years and who has made the NHL as a regular regardless of weather they are still in Montreal, not re-signed or traded etc.

McDonagh, Subban and Markov alone are 3 of the best defenseman in the league at one point or another in their career, now imagine if we still had all three and Beauchemin and Robidas?

Indeed. Good/great drafting, terrible asset management. Gainey... :shakehead

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Yes we are, Detroit is still just living off picks like Datsyuk and Zetterberg from 10 years ago.

Lately they haven't been anything special

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
Quality?

Let's see, former Olympians.
2003 A Kostitsyn, Halak
2004 Emelin, Grabovski, Streit
2005 Price, S Kostitsyn
2007 McDonagh, Pacioretty, Subban, Weber
2012 Galchenyuk (almost, next time)

2 gold medalists. There was also a Calder trophy finalist. A Norris trophy. Best goalie in the Olympics.

If we're using 200 NHL games as a benchmark, there are 14 guys with 200+, and another 3 well on their way. Not counting White, Tinordi and Beaulieu who should all get there eventually.

The same 200 game benchamark can also be applied to other teams. Boston (11), Detroit (7), Anaheim (9), Chicago (11), Edmonton (8), NYR (8), Ottawa (10), Pittsburgh (10) Toronto (7) Tampa Bay (4). A team that relies on the top of the draft every year. The Islanders (12). That is second best.

We may not have any Crosby's and Malkin's in our lineup but 14 NHLers is quality. We haven't drafted 1st or 2nd since 1980 so there is no way to get Crosby or Malkin. Lets not forget that Pittsburgh followed that up with the great Angelo Esposito when Pacioretty was still on the board.

habs88

Ya I'm a habs fan
Mar 28, 2013
Montreal
Jurco, Tatar & Sheahan look like special picks right now yes.

When they start getting NHL games then they can compete in this lol but these are irrefutable stats habs have more players who played more games in the NHL. point final

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Other than the mistake of drafting AK during one of the deepest years in draft history (if not the deepest), I have nothing but good things about Timmins. The players we passed to grab that bubblehead:

Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergegon, Shea Webber..../cry

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I always thought Timmins was one of the best. Asset management and development was what was wrong with this team. Sooner or later they will get it right.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Other than the mistake of drafting AK during one of the deepest years in draft history (if not the deepest), I have nothing but good things about Timmins. The players we passed to grab that bubblehead:

Jeff Carter, Dustin Brown, Brent Seabrook, Zach Parise, Ryan Getzlaf, Brent Burns, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergegon, Shea Webber..../cry

Just be happy we got a 50 pointer and not Hugh Jessiman :laugh:

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006
So apparently we are the best drafting team now? I always thought Detroit was...

Quantitatively, Montreal has been either at the top or in the conversation for years.

Detroit hasn't drafted much of interest for a while now. They have this reputation for being patient with their prospects, but another interpretation could be that they're just rarely good enough to make the big club...

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

When AK was on, he was a beast. Scored amazing goals, and destroyed many guys. Back then he even had dropped because of health problems. It was a good pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad