Post-Game Talk: Habs beat Sens 3-2, Scherbust Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Ward doesn't fit. If he stays, it'll be a bad move. Or sign him for the AHL. He's not even all that great right now. We had plenty of guys like him, like Torrey Mitchell who we dumped for nothing.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Ok but who do you cut ties with to make that happen. As it stands now, if we keep 14 forwards that means we likely have DLR and Scherbak sitting in the stands. If Ward is added, we then have to either sit Ward in the stands and cut ties with one of DLR or Scherbak or if we play Ward, we have to still cut ties with one of DLR and Scherbak, plus we now have to take another young player out of the lineup (such as Hudon, Armia, Peca, or Lehkonen) to make room for Ward.

This is our lineup pretty much, without Ward:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Kotkaniemi Domi
Byron Plekanec Armia
Hudon Peca Lehkonen
Scherbak, DLR

Where does Ward fit?

Switch Peca and Pleck, Armia with Lehk, D-Lo and Shaw will be back before too long so no need for Ward even though he looks like a good Vet. Trade some of these wingers for help on D, thats where we need help the most, i dont want to see Alzner and Benn in the lineup and It would be a good thing for Juulsen to play 1 complete season in the ahl i think.

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
Ok but who do you cut ties with to make that happen. As it stands now, if we keep 14 forwards that means we likely have DLR and Scherbak sitting in the stands. If Ward is added, we then have to either sit Ward in the stands and cut ties with one of DLR or Scherbak or if we play Ward, we have to still cut ties with one of DLR and Scherbak, plus we now have to take another young player out of the lineup (such as Hudon, Armia, Peca, or Lehkonen) to make room for Ward.

This is our lineup pretty much, without Ward:

Tatar Danault Gallagher
Drouin Kotkaniemi Domi
Byron Plekanec Armia
Hudon Peca Lehkonen
Scherbak, DLR

Where does Ward fit?

I like the look of those lines but really hope they don't keep Kotkaniemi this year. He looks very good right now but lets play the long game for once and give the kid a year to bulk up and hopefully gain another step in his skating. His skills are undeniable though, lets give him a better chance to be an impact player by giving him another year.

For the lineup, I would try Peca in that spot with Drouin and Domi and slide DLR into the 4th line centre role. This gives the Habs the opportunity to sign Ward if they want to then.

Reactions: cphabs

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Coconut looked really really good! He has the ability to control a game! Unbelievable! Finally!!! Guys/gals we have a #1 center now! Let’s let him develop one more year! I still can’t believe it!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Switch Peca and Pleck, Armia with Lehk, D-Lo and Shaw will be back before too long so no need for Ward even though he looks like a good Vet. Trade some of these wingers for help on D, thats where we need help the most, i dont want to see Alzner and Benn in the lineup and It would be a good thing for Juulsen to play 1 complete season in the ahl i think.

It makes sense, I just don't know if there's a market for our wingers and if there are quality young D available on the market.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Kotkaniemi is playing very good but there is zero chance he plays in the NHL as an 18 year old.

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Janne Niinimaa 2018 Edition

BJGIQ.jpg
Not even close to Niinimaa's legendary stare at the camera.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Ward doesn't fit. If he stays, it'll be a bad move. Or sign him for the AHL. He's not even all that great right now. We had plenty of guys like him, like Torrey Mitchell who we dumped for nothing.
Talent wise I could agree but it's rare we have the chance to get our hands on a pro like Ward. For the youth it's necessary.

Reactions: Fixxer

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I think Suzuki is gonna get the 9 games, if we want to give both of them the 9 games, we'll have to put either DLR, Scherbak or Benn on waivers.

I know we don't care about putting Benn on waivers, we still need a 7th defenceman.

I would take Ouellet as a 7th D before Benn. I dont see a reason for giving 9 games to Suzuki before Kotka.

Reactions: Fixxer

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
As I recall when Benn came on board, we thought he was quite good in his role. That eventually fell apart.

So I am not getting worked up about Reilly other than to say at this point he has certainly earned himself a spot on the roster and hope he keeps it up. His focus has to be defensive play and if he succeeds there ( where I guess he hasn't up to this post season ), then he is a good addition and will stick somewhere.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
As I recall when Benn came on board, we thought he was quite good in his role. That eventually fell apart.

So I am not getting worked up about Reilly other than to say at this point he has certainly earned himself a spot on the roster and hope he keeps it up. His focus has to be defensive play and if he succeeds there ( where I guess he hasn't up to this post season ), then he is a good addition and will stick somewhere.
Thing is, Reilly looked good last season too. Yes it's pre-season but I think the two are apples and oranges. Reilly had a lot of hype as a prospect while Jordie was known as Jamie's brother and went undrafted.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Thing is, Reilly looked good last season too. Yes it's pre-season but I think the two are apples and oranges. Reilly had a lot of hype as a prospect while Jordie was known as Jamie's brother and went undrafted.

Defensively though I recall a few too many defensive lapses so he was looking like a somewhat better Beaulieu. He seems to be doing better this year because his game is simpler and more of a get the puck forward with a quick safe pass, so less chance of a defensive gaff.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Defensively though I recall a few too many defensive lapses so he was looking like a somewhat better Beaulieu. He seems to be doing better this year because his game is simpler and more of a get the puck forward with a quick safe pass, so less chance of a defensive gaff.
There an article on The Athletic that basically said the one objective CJ gave him was to work on his gap control. He practiced that all summer with Gardiner and some other D which I forget the name of. So far he's been good but it's pre-season so we'll see.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
There an article on The Athletic that basically said the one objective CJ gave him was to work on his gap control. He practiced that all summer with Gardiner and some other D which I forget the name of. So far he's been good but it's pre-season so we'll see.

Hey, better good than bad.

Reactions: Chris Cutter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad