Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Rights to Joel Edmundson from Carolina for a 2020 5th Round Pick (Pick #139)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
La combativité de Marc Bergevin annonce un automne intéressant

Martic Leclerc writes about the Edmundson acquisition and of his belief that this off-season will be a very interesting one for Bergevin.

edmundson leclerc.png

In this part, he says that among 45 defensenen who played an average of 2:20 or more on the PK, Edmundson was 6th in least goals against (55). He mentioned other D who also played 2:20 or more on the PK like Giordano, Provorov, and Josi, who had more goals against.

He then mentions that out of the 121 defensemen that have played at least 180 games over the last 3 seasons, Edmundson is 33rd in turnovers/60 mins. He is 24th in blocked shots (5.3/60 mins). And he's 20th in hits (5.53/60 mins).

He also says in the article that Edmundson's agent also represents Chiarot, Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury. So he is an agent that has a familiarity with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
ideally you'd want something like,

xxxx Weber
Chia Petry
Edmundson Romanov
Kulak Juulsen

that way Romanov could hopefully focus on his offensive game more. If Edmundson needs a game off move Romanov over and put Juulsen in. The problem is you don't know where his game is at since he's only played 1 game. But you don't want to lose him for nothing.

Instead of spending gobs of money on Hall, I wonder what they could get for a Danault/Domi, Mete, say a 2nd round pick or more trade in term of a top LD PP QB. Since they badly need a PP QB or this team won't do shit imo. Then sign a UFA like Dadonov or Hoffman.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

xxxx Weber
Chia Petry
Edmundson Romanov
Kulak Juulsen

that way Romanov could hopefully focus on his offensive game more. If Edmundson needs a game off move Romanov over and put Juulsen in. The problem is you don't know where his game is at since he's only played 1 game. But you don't want to lose him for nothing.

Instead of spending gobs of money on Hall, I wonder what they could get for a Danault/Domi, Mete, say a 2nd round pick or more trade in term of a top LD PP QB. Since they badly need a PP QB or this team won't do shit imo. Then sign a UFA like Dadonov or Hoffman.
Forget Hoffman in montreal with the bullshit that happened

Reactions: le_sean

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

xxxx Weber
Chia Petry
Edmundson Romanov
Kulak Juulsen

Does Romanov play on the right? I know he shoots left, so I just assumed he mainly played on that side too.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does Romanov play on the right? I know he shoots left, so I just assumed he mainly played on that side too.

he almost always plays RD in the KHL. Most of our LD prospects play at RD last year.

Everyone is forgettinga about Fleury. Am I the only one who thinks he got shafted in the numbers game? I really liked him.

He had 1 pt in 41 games, he likely needs more time in Laval to work on his defensive game, reads.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In the past as with Gainey acquiring Hossa’s rights from Wings it was conditional son the player signing- the fact the pick us no longer conditional leads me to believe there a level of confidence that he’ll re-up

I agree most times players sign. But I do remember times where other teams traded picks for a player and they refused to sign. I forget which teams and which players.

I'll tell you though, I'd trade another 5th rounder for Hall's negotiation rights even if I had no idea whether he'd sign with us or not.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
La combativité de Marc Bergevin annonce un automne intéressant

Martic Leclerc writes about the Edmundson acquisition and of his belief that this off-season will be a very interesting one for Bergevin.

View attachment 367336

In this part, he says that among 45 defensenen who played an average of 2:20 or more on the PK, Edmundson was 6th in least goals against (55). He mentioned other D who also played 2:20 or more on the PK like Giordano, Provorov, and Josi, who had more goals against.

He then mentions that out of the 121 defensemen that have played at least 180 games over the last 3 seasons, Edmundson is 33rd in turnovers/60 mins. He is 24th in blocked shots (5.3/60 mins). And he's 20th in hits (5.53/60 mins).

He also says in the article that Edmundson's agent also represents Chiarot, Brook, Juulsen, and Fleury. So he is an agent that has a familiarity with him.

It's the first sentence that gives me fright... Bergevin already had some interesting summers... aka Karl Alzner summer... i would rather he didn't again.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
He played often on the right side like most lhd shooter do in Russia.

Do the Russians like to have D play their opposite side? I hated playing the wrong side as a youth and we certainly weren’t expected to pinch like they do today.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's the first sentence that gives me fright... Bergevin already had some interesting summers... aka Karl Alzner summer... i would rather he didn't again.

:laugh:

That same summer where Radulov and Markov left. Easily his worst off-season. He also traded for Schlemko that off-season. Remember, the defense improved?

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
:laugh:

That same summer where Radulov and Markov left. Easily his worst off-season.

For sure. That might be the worst offseason of all time in habs history, actually.

Not only for what you listed, but it also included Alzner as the marquee signing.

Then you include the streit, and Hemsky signings into the equation, neither of whom made it through October if I remember correctly.

What a disaster.

Reactions: PhysicX

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
For sure. That might be the worst offseason of all time in habs history, actually.

Not only for what you listed, but it also included Alzner as the marquee signing.

Then you include the streit, and Hemsky signings into the equation, neither of whom made it through October if I remember correctly.

What a disaster.

Was that the year that people kept saying “no way we take this cap space into the season/new year/playoffs lol”

Reactions: PhysicX

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Was that the year that people kept saying “no way we take this cap space into the season/new year/playoffs lol”

Yeah I think that was the birth year for the unfilled cap space now that you mention it.

There was some ufa buzz for Joe Thornton who was in Montreal at the time for some reason. I think habs went after bonino and Justin Williams as well, but that unfilled cap space remains a legacy from that offseason.

Reactions: Tighthead

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I didn’t say all defensemen should be offensively productive, so I’ll skip countering this weak strawman argument.

if you can’t see a difference between Weber, chiarot and the D I mentioned, then there’s no point in discussing. Not going to waste my time explaining things to you.
Pretty condescending aren’t you? For the record, I understand what you’re trying to say, but I also wonder just how you think the Habs aquire this number one, smooth skating top defenceman? You’re real smart, so please call Bergy and let him know. It’s not everyday a guy like Hedman, Makar, Hughes comes around. So what do you suggest?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Everyone is forgettinga about Fleury. Am I the only one who thinks he got shafted in the numbers game? I really liked him.

I think he needs to go to the AHL and refine his game a bit, specifically offensively. I don’t think he’s earned an automatic spot, he should have to fight for it.

Reactions: Frank JT

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Pretty condescending aren’t you? For the record, I understand what you’re trying to say, but I also wonder just how you think the Habs aquire this number one, smooth skating top defenceman? You’re real smart, so please call Bergy and let him know. It’s not everyday a guy like Hedman, Makar, Hughes comes around. So what do you suggest?

If one of us had warned him about Sergachev would he have listened?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If one of us had warned him about Sergachev would he have listened?

You would have had to throw in a pair of unflattering sandals, a book about the benefits of skipping leg days and an exclusive tat design from an underground artist that money can't buy. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
I really don’t like the message it would send to Chiarot. Edmundston is not better than you, the fact is that you will play more minutes, but let’s give him 1M$ more per and 3 more years.

I also have a hard time seeing Edmundston sign for 3.5M$ per but I don’t see how we can offer more.
It is a fair point but tbh really don't think players look at it that way (if anything be mad at your agent, he's the one that's supposed to know players "value"), the cap moves, rosters change consistently, there's a lot of teams with lesser players making much more money than better players, in the end I'm pretty sure they're happy when they put their signature on a contract and not worrying about other players/teammates situation... I might be wrong and your point is valid, it's just the way i see it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad