Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Rights to Joel Edmundson from Carolina for a 2020 5th Round Pick (Pick #139)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Dallas one win away from Stanley cup final with 3rd worst offensive in the league.

if you can’t score, make sure they won’t
16th worst GAA in the playoffs and 7th best GFA. They’re one win away cause they have a big team with clutch scoring and Vegas forwards have forgot how to score since midway in the Nucks series.

Size and scoring on the wings is our biggest weakness now

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
16th worst GAA in the playoffs and 7th best GFA. They’re one win away cause they have a big team with clutch scoring and Vegas forwards have forgot how to score since midway in the Nucks series.

Size and scoring on the wings is our biggest weakness now

thats why we have the last 7 thread are about Laine Mantha and Anderson

Reactions: Adam Michaels

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
I’m sure they ask Bergevin or Canes and they get their answer. Same as when they confirm whether they did let him talk first. Pretty standard stuff here. No reason not to believe it.

the interview period does not exist anymore, hence why the trade happens in my opinion.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Interesting. Wonder how these guys get their info? He calls the agent or Bergevin to ask and they tell him an answer that may or may not be the truth?

I hate tweets used as facts. There is so much stuff at play behind the scenes and these guys jobs are to report click bait reports. Some are true and most are not.

If Bergevin made that trade blind... It was dumb (even if it was a 5th pick). What is the interview period this free agency? Does it not exist this off season?

It no longer exists under the new CBA. So it won't be allowed until at least the next CBA.

It will still go on even if it's against the rules. There is no other way to explain how before they allowed the interview period, players were signing as soon as free agency opened. Like within minutes. That wouldn't happen if there weren't any talks.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Nothing i've seen say the conditional pick couldn't be based on games played.

Not sure the NHL would accept this loophole.

EDIT: They would probably void the trade or make the Habs give the pick even if he signs elsewhere if he gets the games played.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You can trade a conditional pick on a player who is still under contract depending on his performance.

But you can't trade a conditional pick depending on a player signing

The rule I read says nothing about the player having to be under contract. You can't do it based on re-signing, so you do like the Pens did and make it Canes get a 5th if he plays 20 games or 40 games, whatever. Unless you know for sure you are going to sign him, which I'm sure there are ways and i would hope they did so and didn't just throw a 5th away on a hope.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The rule I read says nothing about the player having to be under contract. You can't do it based on re-signing, so you do like the Pens did and make it Canes get a 5th if he plays 20 games or 40 games, whatever. Unless you know for sure you are going to sign him, which I'm sure there are ways and i would hope they did so and didn't just throw a 5th away on a hope.

How can a condition be placed on games played if the guy is not under contract for next year?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
how's it a loophole, where does it say you can't do that?

Their intention was to remove the sign conditions. You're trying to go around that. As I added as a edit in my previous post, I expect them to require (if they accept the trade at all) Montreal to pay the pick if the player play his game with any team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Their intention was to remove the sign conditions. You're trying to go around that. As I added as a edit in my previous post, I expect them to require (if they accept the trade at all) Montreal to pay the pick if the player play his game with any team.

They should have put that in the rule though, all they said was you can't have a condition on re-signing. I don't see how they couldn't allow it since there's nothing in the rule that says you can't do that. The Pens did it, the only difference is he's a UFA at the end of next season but no where does it say the player has to be under contract.

I don't know if they would have to pay it if he played for another team, if wild trad Bjugstad at some point next season, and he hits both games and goals conditions with another team would they still have to pay? I don't know how that would work.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
the interview period does not exist anymore, hence why the trade happens in my opinion.
Does anyone reads posts anymore???

I know. I said there was none and that they didn’t talk before he was traded because they didn’t have permission as Carolina owned his rights.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They should have put that in the rule though, all they said was you can't have a condition on re-signing. I don't see how they couldn't allow it since there's nothing in the rule that says you can't do that. The Pens did it, the only difference is he's a UFA at the end of next season but no where does it say the player has to be under contract.

I don't know if they would have to pay it if he played for another team, if wild trad Bjugstad at some point next season, and he hits both games and goals conditions with another team would they still have to pay? I don't know how that would work.
I would say yes.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I really dont have a good feeling about the contract, MB seems desperate to sign that guy so we might end up with something around 4.5M/ 5-6 Years.. That would be disgusting!!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So if Montreal flips him before the season to another team, meaning he played zero games for the Habs, Montreal gets their pick back from Carolina?

it would depend on what the condition was. For Bjugstad it's 70 games plus goals I believe. So both side could have picked a number that works for them, 10 games, 40, 70. This way if he signs then Canes get the pick unless he gets injured, it's not like they have much ground since he'll be a UFA in 3 weeks or so. If he doesn't sign we wouldn't have to give them a 5th.

I guess we'll see if any teams try this in the future with UFAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad