Confirmed with Link: Habs Acquire Joel Armia, Steve Mason, 2019 7th & 2020 4th for Simon Bourque

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
This is a decent trade for you guys. You get a serviceable bottom 6 winger (who's shown flashes, but hasn't lived up to his lofty expectations as a 1st round draft pick), and a reclamation project (ok - a cap dump), and 2 depth picks in subsequent drafts. In return, the Jets get someone I haven't even heard of. Sounds like an equal trade...?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Love this move. Eat salary for draft picks. Armia has some talent and upside as well.

Eat that much salary for a 7th and 4th ? In 2020 ?I would have to think Armia is the main component of this deal but... he's another 3rd/4th liner is he not ?

Best we can do ?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I'm losing count of all our depth players though.

Some players will have to be moved sooner or later.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And he's from the same Finnish town & team as Kotkaniemi

Doesn't hurt.

Too many will look at this offensive production and say "we got an inconsistent player" and ignore his strenght, which is play without the puck/defensive game.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Armia is a fantastic quality depth winger, kills penalties, strong defensively and at times makes highlight offensive moves, never got the chance to shine in Winnipeg due to the depth they have.
This is the type of move that could truly benefit us for the reasons you mentioned. It's similar to when WPG added Ladd and Byfuglien or when CAR took Bickell of the Hawks to get TT. I'm happy about this, shows savvyness for once.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I'm losing count of all our depth players though.

Some players will have to be moved sooner or later.
You can never have too much depp...

Soon, we will have 15 guys, for our bottom 6..................good times.

All jokes aside, seems like a good deal, and signs of more of this to come...

Now, if we could just get MB fired, soon...

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is the type of move that could truly benefit us for the reasons you mentioned. It's similar to when WPG added Ladd and Byfuglien or when CAR took Bickell of the Hawks to get TT. I'm happy about this, shows savvyness for once.

Armia could become a strong defensive 2nd line winger who gives you 40 to max 50 points in his peak.

I really, really like his game these days, I still remember that game against Dallas where he frustrated the hell out of them with his defensive game.

cujo1117

Mar 30, 2018
thats it were rebuilding... better to use the cap space for these kinda deals then overpaying for statsny, de haan, bozak etc

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Eat that much salary for a 7th and 4th ? In 2020 ?I would have to think Armia is the main component of this deal but... he's another 3rd/4th liner is he not ?

Best we can do ?
Armia has potential to be more than a bottom six guy. He's very inconsistent but has some very good skills. Now the only thing I don't know is that is it a case of a guy being buried or he's an all tools no toolbox type of guy.

Reactions: Ippenator

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Now...a true rebuild would require seeing Price and Weber moved

That's the thing. You either go all in. Or don't go at all. If that's a rebuild, Price AND Weber have to go. Then Molson will have to deal with the Bell Centre not being as filled up as it used to be for the next 2 years. But then, if everything else falls into place, it goes full blast for maybe a great 10 years to come. It needs to happen.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Honestly, I would expect us to parlay our considerable cap space into actual quality picks (1,2,3) and prospects. Not for 25 year old 3rd/4th liners. Not sure why everyone is so happy. Can't we do better than this ? Nothing was really gained today... we got something... I guess.. which is better than nothing and keeping the cap space.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm sure Bergevin's last sliver of hope (signing Tavares) was shot down quickly, so he's now come the realization that we won't be competing this year as well. Might as well put that cap space to good use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad