Confirmed with Link: Habs acquire David Schlemko for 2019 5th rounder

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
He's a guy that can step into the role for small amounts of time. A nice insurance policy at least. Need another LD for sure though.

Yeah, good teams have players like this. But there really REALLY needs to be more, even more so because Schlemko himself is not a very durable player.

Galchenyuk traded for a legit LD who is good at moving the puck would probably make the team overall better. Don't know who though, Hamonic plays the right side.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Bad? That's pretty solid and in the top 10. I'd like to hear who you think has a really great D besides obvious teams like the Wild and Nashville (and even the super duper Preds D had problems like their garbage 3rd pairing). Also I think we'll be seeing less mistakes from the D because Beaulieu and Emelin were the two most error prone guys back there..

Ehhhhh, I'm far from a pessimist fan considering the general mindset of this board but solid is a bit too much here. That defense would be average to below average. Lacking a bonifide #2D there. (consider both Petry and Markov #3s).

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
My only concern right now is who will be killing penalties? Emelin was pretty solid for us and from what I've gathered, PK is not part of what Schlemko brings to the table? I mean we have Benn, Weber and Petry as options (plus Markov but I'd prefer cutting down his minutes).

Killing penalty is not that hard when you have price behind you ;)

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
When he has been drafted, Schlemko was the guy that I know the less. Its probably miseducation from my part. I read a lot since the trade Im fine with move. I realy dont like the fact that we add a more than 2 millions bottom pair guy, but some Sharks fan thought that he should be upper in the rankings with us.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Who in here, especially the ones that LOVES the acquisition, mentioned his name as a great possibility for us when Vegas drafted him?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
How far did SJ go last year?

On a cup contending team Schlemko is a 3rd pairing guy unless you have Crosby and Malkin or Pronger and Niedermayer or something like that.

Don't forget the guy turned 30. He was great the last 2 seasons. But it remains to be seen for how many years he'll keep being better than what he was before the last 2 seasons. Because before playing for NJD he was pretty much nothing. It's not rare to see guys having 2-3 career seasons and then boom it's midnight and the golden carriage is back to being a simple pumpkin. It really is not rare at all. Like there's many examples of that every *** decades.

I don't dislike the move in a vacuum of course. I did not see Schlemko much last year outside of the playoffs were he played great but i liked him for the Devils. If we can get a 1st pairing dman and a 1st center and fit Schlemko 2.1 millions under the cap as a 3rd pairing guy fine. But my little finger tells me both benn and schlemko will be top 4 next season. Markov will be 39 next december ...

Be ready this might be our defense for next year.

Schlemko-Weber
Benn-Petry
Markov-Jerabek/Davidson

An old and not so great (if not bad) defense.

And 2hrs ago, posters were saying the same about this defence minus Schlemko......why are some of you constantly jumping to conclusions? It's embarrassing...

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
xxx -Weber
Markov - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

depending on who plays with Weber, its a solid group

Jerabek could potential be that guy
Havent watched much of him and im pretty sure most people here barely watched him
But if he can be as good as Zaitsev it should work well

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
My only concern right now is who will be killing penalties? Emelin was pretty solid for us and from what I've gathered, PK is not part of what Schlemko brings to the table? I mean we have Benn, Weber and Petry as options (plus Markov but I'd prefer cutting down his minutes).

No he wasn't. Emelin was always out of position. He was terrible at reading plays.

Schlemko played over a 1 min to 2 min a game on the PK before last season. So it's not like he can't play on the PK.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Who in here, especially the ones that LOVES the acquisition, mentioned his name as a great possibility for us when Vegas drafted him?

I'd be lying if I said he was on my radar, would have preferred Schmidt or Methot but that doesn't mean this is not a good move by MB. He's a player that helps our mobility/PMD problem and he was acquired for cheap? Don't tell me Weaver was suggested back in 2014 on this board. It's not because we didn't suggest him that he's a bad move. He's not a flashy name but we are a better team than we were this morning at a very small price.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
When he has been drafted, Schlemko was the guy that I know the less. Its probably miseducation from my part. I read a lot since the trade Im fine with move. I realy dont like the fact that we add a more than 2 millions bottom pair guy, but some Sharks fan thought that he should be upper in the rankings with us.

That's a side effect of him playing in SJ last year. Unless you watch a lot of hockey across every team in the league, you likely won't be familiar with a #5 D-Man on a team from California. (#5 on a very solid defense)

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
I'd be lying if I said he was on my radar, would have preferred Schmidt or Methot but that doesn't mean this is not a good move by MB. He's a player that helps our mobility/PMD problem and he was acquired for cheap? Don't tell me Weaver was suggested back in 2014 on this board. It's not because we didn't suggest him that he's a bad move. He's not a flashy name but we are a better team than we were this morning at a very small price.

Yeah, if anything I would have thought Vegas would have held on to Schlemko for their bottom pairing since his contract was so cap friendly.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Bad? That's pretty solid and in the top 10. I'd like to hear who you think has a really great D besides obvious teams like the Wild and Nashville (and even the super duper Preds D had problems like their garbage 3rd pairing). Also I think we'll be seeing less mistakes from the D because Beaulieu and Emelin were the two most error prone guys back there..

huh top 10?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Schlemko is a legitimate top-4 defenseman. Complete steal.

Thanks nice to hear you liked him, since you got to see him regularly.

I'm liking the Habs defense options. I definitely liked the look of Benn last season. Schlemko sounds like he can be a good dman too. Davidson it will be interesting to see what he brings come next season. Jerabek who knows but often older euro guys at least we will know fairly quick.

The Habs had so little competition for so long on the left side, now there seems to be quite a bit. Beaulieu and Emelin gone, people had been complaining about them for a while. Hopefully this new gang can help.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
A decent depth pick-up. Gets paid the kind of money that Emelin should've been getting, $2,1m. He's signed for 3 years. Isn't a top 4, but can play as one during injuries. Helps us with LD depth which is putrid. Can make outlet passes and move the puck, but won't get a lot of points.

Still need a top 4 puck moving D though and our D isn't getting any younger that's for sure. He's 30.

XXX - Weber
Markov - Petry
Schlemko - Benn

Davidson - Jerabek

Uwey

Jun 10, 2006
Lunenburg, NS
But saying Emelin was a top 4 because he had more minutes is also wrong... I mean Therrien loved him, but never should he have played that many minutes.

Where did I say Emelin was a top 4 D-man????

Fact is, it was suggested that Schlemko played top four minutes in SJ last season, stats show he did not.

hockeyguru19

Jun 6, 2017
Why would Price want to commit to a long term extension with stupid moves like Schlemko you need to make impact moves Bergevin a #1 D who can put up 50-60 points log 25 minutes per night and a #1 center who can put up 80 points get it bloody done or find a new bloody job.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Schlemko who is waiver material was better than Emelin? Of course, the new always outweigh the old....but that's simply not true. And the opposite can work too...we were ecstatic to have saved 4M$....we already spent 2M$ on a guy who will never have the luxury to be bad with Weber. Schlemko is a 3rd pairing at best. The 4M$ saves helped our depth. Not our top players. People were raving about Redmond too. Some even thought we made a steal with Nesterov. Now it's a d-man that will be playing in his 6th team in 4 years that is automaticaly slotted in our top 4?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad