Habs about to be mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Not many could have predicted this drop from last year but I think their downfall can be described in just a few lines:

-Got robbed in the Drouin/Sergachev trade. Sergachev could have helped that D corps.
-Did not sign Radulov or Markov with almost 10 million in cap space.
-Drouin has not helped. He seems lazy at times with no hockey sense at all.
-Weber not being in the lineup for most of the season. That one hurt big.
-Price playing sub-par. This guy has in the past, stolen game after game.
-MB did virtually nothing positive at the trade deadline.
-Pacioretty possibly being traded distracted this team. It was daily news since November.
-Got into some injury trouble very early. Just no flow in the lineup. No depth to replace injuries.
Feel free to add to this list if I missed something blatant.

Yes, I am a Leaf fan, but all Montreal after that. One of the nicest cities I have ever lived in.

Discuss

I think Droiun gets unfair treatment. Does Sergachev have as good a season on MTL? Does Drouin have a better season on TB?

Switch positions and I bet people would be slagging Serg and gushing (again) over Drouin.

Habs will get their lotto pick. It would be best for them to be awful for 2-3 more seasons but I think they are back in the hunt next season.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Not true. Belial was one of 2 posters who said they're going back to the division title.
Is Zatos still waiting for the team to overtake the Leafs?
DramaticGloveSave is still kicking around too.

You mean the same guy who adamantly believes that Bergevin is doing a great job and that he has assembled a great team? The guy who blames Carey Price for how bad the team is, and will constantly prop up Bergevin acquisitions (Weber, Alzner, Shaw, Drouin) even though they have been largely disappinting?

I don't blame you for not knowing because I doubt you spend too much time on the Habs board, but you just referenced HFhabs' resident nutcase. I wouldn't take much of what he says as a majority opinion.

DramaticGloveSave is an optimist. At least he backs up his opinions with sane arguments though.

Besides those two guys, the opinion was basically unanimous that the Habs would suck this season.

Reactions: Runner77

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
No body thought the habs were contenders, we all just assumed they would make the playoffs like they have been for much of the past decade. So I’m not even sure why this a thread. Where is the one for the black hawks, or the rangers

Could be 7 teams from last season not making the playoffs. A little decline was expected in a few cases but some teams went completely off the rails. Small positive changes in the off season and most of those 7 are back in playoff contention. Ottawa being an outliner if it's forced to rebuild.(they were so great 10 months ago... is sad) Rangers too I guess.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Not many could have predicted this drop from last year but I think their downfall can be described in just a few lines:

-Got robbed in the Drouin/Sergachev trade. Sergachev could have helped that D corps.
-Did not sign Radulov or Markov with almost 10 million in cap space.
-Drouin has not helped. He seems lazy at times with no hockey sense at all.
-Weber not being in the lineup for most of the season. That one hurt big.
-Price playing sub-par. This guy has in the past, stolen game after game.
-MB did virtually nothing positive at the trade deadline.
-Pacioretty possibly being traded distracted this team. It was daily news since November.
-Got into some injury trouble very early. Just no flow in the lineup. No depth to replace injuries.
Feel free to add to this list if I missed something blatant.

Yes, I am a Leaf fan, but all Montreal after that. One of the nicest cities I have ever lived in.

Discuss

Drouin/Sergachev. I do not know how Sergachev will turn out, but everything was nice early on, as it can be for some rookies... and his team was on FIRE! It's been tougher for Sergachev lately.
I'll admit that I only saw him in Montreal and a few clips while on his junior team, D+1 year. Still... I'm not impressed with Drouin. He sure hasn't "replaced" Radulov, but he was put in a very awkward situations, as the Habs miss a center BIG TIME! He has some serious skills but he will always be small... as a center.... but that's another story. lol
He's been shooting more lately, and his shot is more dangerous than early during the season.

The cap space situation was/is kind of weird, but I guess Bergevin didn't know how to spend it, so he kept it. He knew the ship was sinking and didn't know how to keep it from going down. It's tough to tell how he could have moved some guys... but compared to his time here early on, Montreal are not in a position of power when it comes to trading. They barely make the playoff when they make it, as opposed to what.. 2 first place in east... at least one.. anyway, made it to the Conference Finals against the Rangers... how many years back. lol 13/14.

I think this failing is not bad. It lead to the team looking at it's players in the farm team and to evaluate them. Also, where will the Habs draft. Still, Montreal can't afford to lose too much, it is MONTREAL after all. When you win !!!!!! but when you lose.....................................................

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
This was probably one of the worst year in recent memories, GM-wise.
Bergevin really f***ed up this year, like, I don't remember anything like this before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad