Habs about to be mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

member 300185

Not many could have predicted this drop from last year but I think their downfall can be described in just a few lines:

-Got robbed in the Drouin/Sergachev trade. Sergachev could have helped that D corps.
-Did not sign Radulov or Markov with almost 10 million in cap space.
-Drouin has not helped. He seems lazy at times with no hockey sense at all.
-Weber not being in the lineup for most of the season. That one hurt big.
-Price playing sub-par. This guy has in the past, stolen game after game.
-MB did virtually nothing positive at the trade deadline.
-Pacioretty possibly being traded distracted this team. It was daily news since November.
-Got into some injury trouble very early. Just no flow in the lineup. No depth to replace injuries.
Feel free to add to this list if I missed something blatant.

Yes, I am a Leaf fan, but all Montreal after that. One of the nicest cities I have ever lived in.

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
m603aJ.gif

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I have no idea as I only watched the Habs play once this season (when Edmonton handled them like they were an AHL team, which isn't a good sign).

But, let's see:
- their leading scorer has 44 points, with 10 games left in the season
- their top LW and their top-scoring D are each -29
- their million-dollar man in net has a 'GSAA' of -11.00 (which of course also reflects team defense)

Those stunning stats right there will likely destroy any team's season. But what really caught my eye is...

Holy Cow, do they ever suck at center!!
- their top center has 6 goals (!)
- their other two centers have a combined 3 goals

So, yeah, that's unbelievably awful. Obviously, someone else has been filling in at center, but this kind of shows which position they are weakest in.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If I'm Montreal's GM, I'd seriously consider trying to trade Price -- probably to a team that is a contender but needs a goalie -- in exchange for one good center and another prospect center/high draft-pick. Montreal is two good centers away from being a competitive team.

You can win in today's NHL with an average starting goalie, but you cannot win with no good centers.

(Weirdly, my team, Edmonton, is the exact opposite of Montreal -- we are incredibly strong at center, and garbage in all other positions.)

Reactions: Devonator

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If I'm Montreal's GM, I'd seriously consider trying to trade Price -- probably to a team that is a contender but needs a goalie -- in exchange for one good center and another prospect center/high draft-pick. Montreal is two good centers away from being a competitive team.

You can win in today's NHL with an average starting goalie, but you cannot win with no good centers.

(Weirdly, my team, Edmonton, is the exact opposite of Montreal -- we are incredibly strong at center, and garbage in all other positions.)

Edmonton is not incredibly strong at center. They have the best center in the world, without a doubt, but their center depth as a whole is weak.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
He didnt even spend anywhere near to the cap this season while already having one of the weaker offenses and forward lineups in the league to begin with, this shouldnt be as big of a surprise. Bergevin screwed the pooch hard this season

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

If you're Montreal's GM, you don't consider anything, because you are Marc Bergevin and you are a Pejorative Slured.
You just signed Price to one of the most ridiculous contract ever, traded Weber for Subban, traded a blue chip LD prospect but for a good WINGER and you f*** up your free agency period this summer.

So no, you don't have a masterplan, you don't have the mental capacities to create one.
You're f***ing Simple Jack.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If you're Montreal's GM, you don't consider anything, because you are Marc Bergevin and you are a ******ed.
You just signed Price to one of the most ridiculous contract ever, traded Weber for Subban, traded a blue chip LD prospect but for a good WINGER and you **** up your free agency period this summer.

So no, you don't have a masterplan, you don't have the mental capacities to create one.
You're ****ing Simple Jack.
I'm perhaps sensing that you're an unhappy fan....?

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
There were tons of Habs fans talking about contending this year in the summer.

I recall being crapped on for saying they’d be trash. Trust me. I can see a bad team a mile away.

Enjoy the next 7-8 years

Hoping it's quicker than 7-8 years, would never wish that upon any team seeing how that's about how long it's going to take the Canucks to finish the rebuild and the pain already sucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad