Habs about to be mathematically eliminated from playoffs.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
The Habs need a Russian (or maybe Swedish or Finnish).... GM and possibly Head Coach as well. With the French bias in that organization you won't get a English only person in those positions as it's seen as a threat (Quebec being surrounded by English speaking areas and whatnot).

It's stupid and moronic, but it's the way the Habs work, and as long as they're bound and determined to work that way they're getting what they (the organization, not the fans) deserve. They're on perpetual cycle of the same coaches. Julien has replaced Therrien twice. Just watch the next head coach of the Habs will be Alain Vigneault for the 2nd time.

A non-English, non-French might not inure the blind hatred that an English monoglot coach/GM would. I vaguely remember the same stink about the Habs captaincy before Koivu took over.

Reactions: BBB24

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
radulov walked, markov started with a request for a two year deal then said he would accept a one year deal and we PASSED. Markov didn't walk, we handed him his hat and showed him the door thinking that bargain bin Streit could fill that void. Mark Freaking steit who played just long enough for us to recognize the error of our ways.

Yes we have some picks, but in a draft that is not super deep at Center, the draft wont save us. We have no centers, we've had no centers. how's that working out for us ?

Well I have no idea how it happened, but whatever walked, left, wasn't kept. I personally doubt that is how it went down though. That sounds like the HFboards Habs board version of how things went down.

Anyway, didn't mean to throw a little positivity on the doom and gloom.

FluffyMcAvoy

Oct 11, 2017
Boston, MA
As a Bruins' fan I was SO HAPPY when Montreal hired Claude Julien. Now this is the Canadiens team that we will be observing for the foreseeable future as long as he is the coach. They had our number, but I am no longer feared of them with their new coach. It is no surprise that we went 5-0 against the Habs since he got fired as a Bruins' coach.

Reactions: zaYG

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Agree with all except I don’t think Serg would have helped much. Think he would have struggled and wouldn’t be surrounded by the skill he is now in a low pressure market like Tampa. That’s just for this year I’m sure he will be an excellent d man for years to come and could have blossomed in Montreal under the right circumstances.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
No body thought the habs were contenders, we all just assumed they would make the playoffs like they have been for much of the past decade. So I’m not even sure why this a thread. Where is the one for the black hawks, or the rangers

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
A bit unfair on Drouin @ OP

Hockey sense he most certainly has, work ethic is lacking however.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well I have no idea how it happened, but whatever walked, left, wasn't kept. I personally doubt that is how it went down though. That sounds like the HFboards Habs board version of how things went down.

Anyway, didn't mean to throw a little positivity on the doom and gloom.

actually we DO know how it happened. Markov was clear, he wanted a two year deal the habs said no, he said he would take a one year deal. the habs said " good luck with your future endeavors". The day the habs kicked him to the curb, he signed in the KHL If he was going to play in the NHL it was for montreal and he was willing to take a one year deal despite the loyalty he showed for years with the habs and we said " thanks, but no thanks"

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
actually we DO know how it happened. Markov was clear, he wanted a two year deal the habs said no, he said he would take a one year deal. the habs said " good luck with your future endeavors". The day the habs kicked him to the curb, he signed in the KHL If he was going to play in the NHL it was for montreal and he was willing to take a one year deal despite the loyalty he showed for years with the habs and we said " thanks, but no thanks"
Well that's one version of the story, do we have the Habs version?
Either way it sucked that it happened with him being so close to 1000 games for sure.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well that's one version of the story, do we have the Habs version?
Either way it sucked that it happened with him being so close to 1000 games for sure.
so the habs were waiting to markov to offer to play half a season ?

He said he would take a one year deal. He said it publically. This would be literally the easiest signing the habs could make, a player that they knew who was loyal was willing to go one year or perhaps year to year. We said no.

"Initial reports were that the veteran Russian defenceman was asking for US$12 million for two years and I can understand Bergevin being reluctant to sign him for two years given Markov is 38. But on Thursday, Markov said he recently told the team he’d sign for one year."

Lets say he wanted to do 6 million for one year ( what we are paying alzner in year one incidentally) we had the cap, we had the need. And when things went south with the habs markov said he was going to play in the KHL because he could not imagine playing for any NHL team other than the habs.

We screwed him over to sign mark freaking streit and solw as molasses alzner and to play scrooge mcduck with the huge amount of cap we had. Oh, and our esteemed GM publically said that our defense was better this year sans markov.

so if you don't have their side, you might want to consider the other things that side said and did.

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
so the habs were waiting to markov to offer to play half a season ?

He said he would take a one year deal. He said it publically. This would be literally the easiest signing the habs could make, a player that they knew who was loyal was willing to go one year or perhaps year to year. We said no.

"Initial reports were that the veteran Russian defenceman was asking for US$12 million for two years and I can understand Bergevin being reluctant to sign him for two years given Markov is 38. But on Thursday, Markov said he recently told the team he’d sign for one year."

Lets say he wanted to do 6 million for one year ( what we are paying alzner in year one incidentally) we had the cap, we had the need. And when things went south with the habs markov said he was going to play in the KHL because he could not imagine playing for any NHL team other than the habs.

We screwed him over to sign mark freaking streit and solw as molasses alzner and to play scrooge mcduck with the huge amount of cap we had. Oh, and our esteemed GM publically said that our defense was better this year sans markov.

so if you don't have their side, you might want to consider the other things that side said and did.

Nobody really knows how it went down except for the Habs and Markov. That report of him saying he'd accept a 1 year deal came out at the end of July and it says he "recently" told the team he'd accept a 1 year deal. So maybe by the time he decided to cave in and accept a 1 year deal it was too late because the team decided to move in another direction (as bad as that other direction ended up being).

I will say this though, I do think they should and could have done more to sign a lifelong Hab like Markov, particularly with the all cap space they ended up not using. And especially with him being so close to that 1000 game milestone. At the end of the day I agree that this falls on the organisation. As a fan that watched Markov's entire career, I hate that it ended up the way it did. Definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nobody really knows how it went down except for the Habs and Markov. That report of him saying he'd accept a 1 year deal came out at the end of July and it says he "recently" told the team he'd accept a 1 year deal. So maybe by the time he decided to cave in and accept a 1 year deal it was too late because the team decided to move in another direction (as bad as that other direction ended up being).

I will say this though, I do think they should and could have done more to sign a lifelong Hab like Markov, particularly with the all cap space they ended up not using. And especially with him being so close to that 1000 game milestone. At the end of the day I agree that this falls on the organisation. As a fan that watched Markov's entire career, I hate that it ended up the way it did. Definitely left a sour taste in my mouth.

he was a ufa and we had a ton of cap AND he wasnt going to sign with anyone else. We had all the time in the world and made the decision that he didnt fit into the teams plans on a one year deal but streit and alzner did. Streit who played less games than you have fingers on your hands.

let that marinate for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad