Post-Game Talk: Habs 5 Canucks 1 - ...discuss...?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It's telling how dead this thread is.

I've been thinking about this team way too much the last few days. Weirdly, none of my thoughts are coherent. I'm just waiting. Caught between wanting them to lose out so changes have to be made sooner rather than later but also having empathy for the players and their development.

Come join us in the tank thread. We care not what you were or what you're going to be, only what you are.

There's plenty of room, we got booze laughs and lots of memes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's telling how dead this thread is.

I've been thinking about this team way too much the last few days. Weirdly, none of my thoughts are coherent. I'm just waiting. Caught between wanting them to lose out so changes have to be made sooner rather than later but also having empathy for the players and their development.
They won't lose out, but getting dominated in a game vs the only team that they can realistically catch for a playoff spot is really telling in a bad way.

I share your sentiment. I want them to lose enough to make it clear what needs to be done at the TDL as this ownership and management group need it knocked into them. So hopefully Montreal wins their games in hand and makes up at least 3 of those games in hand before the end of March to push their lead to 9/10 points. Looking at being 5 back gives false hope due to the 5 games in hand.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
You have to give props to Montreal for that dogged forecheck. Man alive, there was literally no time or space to make a play.

We had no business winning this game. Only good players in my eyes from our side was Hughes and Demko. Miller and Brock tried at least.

It was like playing against 5 Alex Burrows every shift. If they had slightly higher end scoring talent, they could make some noise in the Playoffs.

We really need to be clearly out of the playoffs by the trade deadline, so we have no excuses not to sell off any pending UFAs, and even FAs. This was a clutch and deserved loss.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It's striking how poorly the Canucks support and move the puck. Especially for a team that seems to insist on living and dying making plays. Way too often the D get the puck, look up and find no options, so they have to play it to other D who is also under pressure, or just eat the puck along the boards. Imo, it's on the coaching staff for not having a realistic understanding of what this group is capable of.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Come join us in the tank thread. We care not what you were or what you're going to be, only what you are.

Can I come? :)

Reactions: vanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of memes or tanking. I'll read through the thread every now and then, though. The whole site is kind of a problem for me right now just because there's not a whole lot to actually discuss. Lack of playing time and information about prospects. Incompetent management in limbo. Trading isn't a realistic possibility. The upcoming draft isn't strong and there just isn't a lot to say about the prospects. Luckily I have other hobbies, a job, and a family.

Reactions: vanuck and m9

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Can I come? :)

If you're of legal drinking age and your name is not Homer, sure.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of memes or tanking. I'll read through the thread every now and then, though. The whole site is kind of a problem for me right now just because there's not a whole lot to actually discuss. Lack of playing time and information about prospects. Incompetent management in limbo. Trading isn't a realistic possibility. The upcoming draft isn't strong and there just isn't a lot to say about the prospects. Luckily I have other hobbies, a job, and a family.

Fair enough, the offer remains open indefinitely~. Live long and prosper~.
:thumbu:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
These two Montreal games were probably the last gasp and needed to pick up 3pts for sure. Instead, Montreal grabs the 3pts and absolutely blows the doors off the Canucks last night. If you needed a coffin nail game, last night was a big one.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
These two Montreal games were probably the last gasp and needed to pick up 3pts for sure. Instead, Montreal grabs the 3pts and absolutely blows the doors off the Canucks last night. If you needed a coffin nail game, last night was a big one.
Imagine what it would be like today, had the Habs managed to hold onto the 1-0 lead and not leave Gaudette wide open to walk into the faceoff dot to blow a slapper past Price? They would be 8 points up on the Canucks with 5 games in hand, so really about good 13 points up even at a 0.500 pace for those games in hand.

The Canucks needed to make up ground on these head to head games. half way through it is 3-2 Montreal. Habs need to split with Vancouver next weekend to maintain their lead.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't go in there. I went in there earlier this week for the first time and it's just a bunch of tank memes and posters throwing a fit after a win.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Imagine what it would be like today, had the Habs managed to hold onto the 1-0 lead and not leave Gaudette wide open to walk into the faceoff dot to blow a slapper past Price? They would be 8 points up on the Canucks with 5 games in hand, so really about good 13 points up even at a 0.500 pace for those games in hand.

The Canucks needed to make up ground on these head to head games. half way through it is 3-2 Montreal. Habs need to split with Vancouver next weekend to maintain their lead.

I don't think it matters. I was looking at the standing today trying to figure out who they can catch and it's not happening.

The worst part is this management group won't even notice it until the other teams catch up on games, they still think they're in the hunt. Even the media was pushing "Canucks only 3 pts out" yesterday.

Lets look at those standings on March 30th after the week off.

Reactions: B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's really no mystery what some of these Canadian teams with quicker forwards are doing to the Canucks blueline. The strategy is simple. Attack them with speed on the forecheck and on the rush, and they'll make mistakes and turn pucks over.

The zone time the Habs had in last night's game was ridiculous. At times it looked that the Canucks were reduced to playing a half-court, zone defense like you'd see in basketball. It's no wonder Green used Hughes for nine minutes in almost every 20 minute period. Other than Schmidt, who's going through a tough stretch right now, Hughes is the only d-man who can actually skate.

You'd like to think this off-season the Canucks brain-trust would watch some tape and see the need for a faster and more mobile defense. But not holding my breath.

Reactions: B-rock and ekimbo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think it matters. I was looking at the standing today trying to figure out who they can catch and it's not happening.

The worst part is this management group won't even notice it until the other teams catch up on games, they still think they're in the hunt. Even the media was pushing "Canucks only 3 pts out" yesterday.

Lets look at those standings on March 30th after the week off.
I think at the end of March, things will become clearer after the Canucks sit for a week. The only chance they had was to go 3-1 vs Montreal coming away with 6-2 in points to close the game and outplay Montreal by a lot for the rest of the season, which isn't likely.

Habs have 11 games left this month, while the Canucks have 8, including that big back to back set in Montreal next weekend. So, with Montreal making up 3 of the 5 games, that should give everyone a clearer sense of where they are. Hopefully the Habs go on a streak. Next 2 for them is vs Calgary. Take care of them and they can also put the Flames in the rear view mirror as well.

Reactions: m9

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There isn't as much a gap between the two teams as last night indicated.

If we didn't pick up Toffoli and Anderson, we would be down at least 20 goals. And probably be debating if we could catch you.

You don't have to blow up what you got, just make a couple of good signings off season.

The old truism applies here....your not as good as your best days or as bad as your worst days.....

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Adjusted for games played, we’re 10 points back of Montreal (and that’s if the Habs go .500 for the 5 games in hand) and with a shortened season and the way the team is playing,there’s no way we catch them.
Unfortunately, JB has shown no indication that he understands even basic math so he likely thinks that a couple wins would put us back in contention which isn’t the case at all.
We need to be sellers and hopefully use some of the extra picks to try and unload a couple bad contracts.

He might just get the Benning special, 6 x 6

We need to play at over 115 point pace to make the playoffs if Montreal goes .500, and that's if we get the tie breaker.

We can be 100% certain that Benning thinks that way. You would think there would someone in the organization like Gear who could tell him that the playoffs are a lost cause though.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
From what I'm seeing, most people switched the game off when the score was 3-1 (I did)...Based on the way they were playing last night, there was just no way that they were coming back from a 2 goal deficit in the 3rd.

Demko was hung out to dry.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There isn't as much a gap between the two teams as last night indicated.

If we didn't pick up Toffoli and Anderson, we would be down at least 20 goals. And probably be debating if we could catch you.

You don't have to blow up what you got, just make a couple of good signings off season.

The old truism applies here....your not as good as your best days or as bad as your worst days.....
Good post..I dont think that there's a huge difference between the Jets, Oilers, Canucks, Habs, Flames.imo...The Canucks were excruciatingly bad in the first 15 games (and last night), but can compete with any of those teams on any given night.

The Canucks don't have to blow it up, but they definitely have to cut the fat off of their current squad.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I’d rather we bring back the poster Ryan Miller than the goalie Ryan Miller
Goalie Ryan Miller stood up for Stecher against Matt Martin.

Goalie Ryan Miller wasn't bad for us.

Poster Ryan Miller on the other hand...
qozz7w0.gif

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good post..I dont think that there's a huge difference between the Jets, Oilers, Canucks, Habs, Flames.imo...The Canucks were excruciatingly bad in the first 15 games (and last night), but can compete with any of those teams on any given night.

The Canucks don't have to blow it up, but they definitely have to cut the fat off of their current squad.
Cut the “old overpaid slow” fat, yes.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Poor Demko.

Does Green throw Holtby to the wolves, I mean Oilers, Saturday night?

Of course he does. What's more watch him play a very similar game to the one Demko just played and then watch the board light up with dozens of "Holtby sucks" comments...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad