Post-Game Talk: Habs 5 Canucks 1 - ...discuss...?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Absolutely atrocious showing. Even when adjusting for score effects, the Canucks still manage to get dominated in the share of shot attempts (30% to Montreal's 70%) and expected goals (25%). That's basically like if a Cup-winner faced a team intentionally trying to tank. What a ****ing tragic performance.

If you needed any signs as to whether Green has a clue, look no further than his deployment of Sutter and Michaelis who were essentially the 2nd line tonight at 5v5, only playing less than Horvat, Boeser and Miller. This a teeny bit of a problem... when you consider that one should be on the 3rd line at most and the other should probably be in the AHL working on his game.

Hawyrluk actually showed enough that I thought he should've gotten a bump up to see what he could do with better players. Guy can play C can't he? Why not try and rejig your top 9 with him in the middle and at least try to get some offensive push going.

Likewise with Hoglander. What the **** is Green doing playing him under 11 minutes?

In a game where Miller and Boeser struggled mightily in puck possession, should you not be trying to mix things up and give other players a look to see if they can give the team a spark?

What happened to Virtanen? I thought he was a poor man's power forward......20/20......but....

Our donkey of a coach can't help relegating him to bottom 6 duty with 10 mins/game and then wonders why he looks better and more confident whenever he actually gets a look in a bigger role. He's no superstar, but he's established himself as a useful top 9 forward and his usage right now doesn't reflect that.

Bad game from the Canucks overall, It would take a lot of good games from them and a lot of poor games from top teams for them to make the playoffs. But with EDM, MTL being the teams involved it is pretty much possible.

So you're saying there's a chance? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
yea, sorry but this is 100% needed to kill any "misinterpretation" that anyone has regarding this team the last 3 games prior.

Reactions: vanuck

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I only listened to about half the game last night while we drove to the middle of nowhere Texas for spring break vacation. What I heard wasn’t good and by the looks of things I’m glad I didn’t see it with my eyes.

Checking the game data and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a game where one team had an over 75% split of scoring chances (5 on 5 and all situations) like the Habs did. That’s straight up getting manhandled.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
The Canucks basically need to win out their remaining seven games before they have a week off to be tied with montreal, wpg, or edmonton.

.500 in that stretch like they’ve been playing at recently will have them 12+ points back after games are made up.

5-2 in the next seven and I’d bet you there’s still a huge gap.

Adjusted for games played, we’re 10 points back of Montreal (and that’s if the Habs go .500 for the 5 games in hand) and with a shortened season and the way the team is playing,there’s no way we catch them.
Unfortunately, JB has shown no indication that he understands even basic math so he likely thinks that a couple wins would put us back in contention which isn’t the case at all.
We need to be sellers and hopefully use some of the extra picks to try and unload a couple bad contracts.

Which means jimbo will sign him to a four year deal.

He might just get the Benning special, 6 x 6

Reactions: tantalum and Ozone

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Living in Ontario makes this easy, go to sleep at a reasonable hour after turning the game off.

After that first period, you knew it was over. The defensive system has been atrocious for years now. If the opposition can easily enter the zone and is not challenged in the zone, the players will exert their energy chasing. When they get possession? Sorry homies, aerobic capacity reaching its limits. Why do you think so many forwards are floating in the D zone?

What a mess. The coaching staff and GM need to go. Needed to happen a while ago.

Lupuls Grit

Oct 12, 2018
Orillia
Living in Ontario makes this easy, go to sleep at a reasonable hour after turning the game off.

After that first period, you knew it was over. The defensive system has been atrocious for years now. If the opposition can easily enter the zone and is not challenged in the zone, the players will exert their energy chasing. When they get possession? Sorry homies, aerobic capacity reaching its limits. Why do you think so many forwards are floating in the D zone?

What a mess. The coaching staff and GM need to go. Needed to happen a while ago.
I also live in Ontario. I usually stay up for the first two periods on weeknights but I figured the Canucks were going to get destroyed in this game so I went to bed before puck drop to avoid getting sucked in. Good call!

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
As long as there is hope and basic algebra allows for it ;)

But is this good for the franchise ?
I would actually argue that selling off pieces to help prepare for the coming cap crunch this offseason is probably more important than any moral victories we might get out of trying to make a run that in all likelihood isn't going to be enough. Thinking big picture, long-term outlook here.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like no one wanted to discuss?
The 4 game set with the Habs this week and next week is their season. Started 4 back but 5 games more played. Now 5 back with still 5 games more played. Had the Habs covered Gaudette and wi in regulation the Canucks would be 8 back with Montreal holding 5 games in hand so really closer to 12 points back.

this was an important game and that’s how they came out in the first. Yikes...

honestly, I think it’s serious time to consider moving Miller for younger players. With the money still tied up in the bottom 6 they don’t have cap room to add any ufa help. If Colorado would do Newhook for Miller that’s a move the Canucks should make.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Adjusted for games played, we’re 10 points back of Montreal (and that’s if the Habs go .500 for the 5 games in hand) and with a shortened season and the way the team is playing,there’s no way we catch them.
Unfortunately, JB has shown no indication that he understands even basic math so he likely thinks that a couple wins would put us back in contention which isn’t the case at all.
We need to be sellers and hopefully use some of the extra picks to try and unload a couple bad contracts.

He might just get the Benning special, 6 x 6
My grand father had a lot of really bad sayings which are horribly insulting even racist, but this seems to suit JB.
"When god gave out brains you thought he said trains so you caught the caboose"

Here is Benning's plan, wait until all the teams that really want or have to make the playoffs have finished making their trades and when it is too late to get get a good return he says there was no value to be returned. Or "other teams only wanted our good players" DUH! The problem is Benning thins they are are GUD players.

Well the score of 5 to 2 was another illusion produced by exceptional goaltending, while not stealing a win, Demko did steal a little bit of respectability.

I wonder if Benning knows "hockey trades" can be made up to the TDL.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The 4 game set with the Habs this week and next week is their season. Started 4 back but 5 games more played. Now 5 back with still 5 games more played. Had the Habs covered Gaudette and wi in regulation the Canucks would be 8 back with Montreal holding 5 games in hand so really closer to 12 points back.

this was an important game and that’s how they came out in the first. Yikes...

honestly, I think it’s serious time to consider moving Miller for younger players. With the money still tied up in the bottom 6 they don’t have cap room to add any ufa help. If Colorado would do Newhook for Miller that’s a move the Canucks should make.
Miller and Schmidt are too old to fit with Benning’s predicted 2-3 year away window to start competing. These two didn’t show much last night, and they aren’t going to get better as the years go by.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Miller and Schmidt are too old to fit with Benning’s predicted 2-3 year away window to start competing. These two didn’t show much last night, and they aren’t going to get better as the years go by.
:laugh:

Schmidt will be *OLDER* than Edler when Jethro Bodine was brought aboard at that point. Think about that. Older than Hamhuis as well. But, but Benning inherited nothing from Gillis. Well, the next GM will get REALLY nothing from Jethro in terms of defenseman who know what to do when they don't have the puck (and that includes Hughes).

Reactions: Luckylarry

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Demko is playing like a 5-6M goaltender right now. He's earning a raise in his next contract, and that is going to make things even tighter for us.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Demko is playing like a 5-6M goaltender right now. He's earning a raise in his next contract, and that is going to make things even tighter for us.
It's been a LONG time since we could point the finger at our goalie as our number one problem. Heck, even Cloutier was pretty decent (in the regular season).

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

yea and this expect raise would offset anything that Hughes might lose in his contract being a defensive liability.

19 mil to sign the 3 RFAs Hughes, demko, petey???

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
It's telling how dead this thread is.

I've been thinking about this team way too much the last few days. Weirdly, none of my thoughts are coherent. I'm just waiting. Caught between wanting them to lose out so changes have to be made sooner rather than later but also having empathy for the players and their development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad