Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
updated the op with McNiven, wonder who's next up.

I would guess Juulsen or Ouellet if they retain them. After that, Mete has he is not arbitration eligible so basically no leverage. Domi probably goes close to arbitration if not traded before.

Sturtz, Luchuk and Waked will hopefully not get QO'ed.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I would guess Juulsen or Ouellet if they retain them. After that, Mete has he is not arbitration eligible so basically no leverage. Domi probably goes close to arbitration if not traded before.

Sturtz, Luchuk and Waked will hopefully not get QO'ed.
And to think, they didn't sign some prospects in the summer and let them walk. Letting go Sturtz, Luchuk and Waked will be even better.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
And to think, they didn't sign some prospects in the summer and let them walk. Letting go Sturtz, Luchuk and Waked will be even better.

I don't see how the two are connected. McShane and Fonstad would be very low in the depth chart in Laval (as in not even top 3 spares) for 2020-2021, so no big loss.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I don't see how the two are connected. McShane and Fonstad would be very low in the depth chart in Laval (as in not even top 3 spares) for 2020-2021, so no big loss.
Yes well then why trade players for picks and then lose prospects for nothing. What ever happened to building through the draft? McShane and Fonstad had some good numbers in the OHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yes well then why trade players for picks and then lose prospects for nothing. What ever happened to building through the draft? McShane and Fonstad had some good numbers in the OHL.

They both had flaws when drafted and were not able to overcome them. Signing them would have just wasted 2 contract spots for 3 years.

We will see if they get re-drafted or signed to an ELC by another team post-drafted, but this is probably Walford/Tyszka all over again. Tyzska went to UBC and Walford is committed to McGill after playing his overage in the WHL.

Reactions: habsfan92

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

That leaves Antoine Waked, Aaron Luchuk, and Andrew Sturtz as the only RFA's not qualified, which would make them UFA's.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Cant believe they are willing to give Hudon another shot, more than time to cut bait on him

The QO is more like a technicality than anything else. It's a tool teams use to retain a player's rights. This way, they either sign him and keep him. Sign him and trade him. Or trade him as an RFA.

Personally, I'm good with keeping him around. At the least, he's there for Laval, where he is one of the best scorers. And I wouldn't mind him as a call up to play on the 4th should the Habs get injuries.

With the possibility of a condensed schedule, and a lot of games being played in a short span, having bodies to move up and down may be more crucial this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Would have been nice to sign at least a McShane or Fonstad.

they look to be at 46 contracts and Laval is getting very crowded plus with no ECHL team it doesn't help matters. They could have loaned them back to the CHL as overagers but the problem becomes next year and the year after where their contracts could get in a the way and they aren't anything special.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

No surprises. Sturtz, Luchuk, and Waked were never getting Q.Os.

It'll be interesting to see what Juulsen signs for. He barely played last year so should be back in Laval getting his game together again.

And, of course, what happens with Domi.

If I recall, Montreal opened contract talks with Mete around this time last year, and rumours were it was $2.5m to $3m. No way he's getting that now. Probably around $1.9m.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
they look to be at 46 contracts and Laval is getting very crowded plus with no ECHL team it doesn't help matters. They could have loaned them back to the CHL as overagers but the problem becomes next year and the year after where their contracts could get in a the way and they aren't anything special.
Well if you sign scrubs and trade them for pylons all the time, that kind of happens. There are plenty of RFAs to sign next year. Many will have a make of or break it year, although Hudon is still here.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My issue has to do with how they traded for bottom picks, draft late rounders and let them go, while they trade for other scrubs and let them walk as well.
Not all picks work out. Mcshane and Fonstad did not work out. Other late picks have been signed like Primeau, Khisatmudinov and RHP (although RHP is AHL deal for now but we still have his right). I just don't understand your reasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad