Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm wondering which RFA players among the following six do folks here think will get a Qualifying Offer (or contract directly)?

Andrew Sturtz
Jake Lucchini
Joseph Blandisi
Antoine Waked
Aaron Luchuk
Michael McNiven
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

McNiven for me should be back. Among the skaters, Blandisi is someone I would like to see return. And if I'm to add another one, it would be Lucchini. Both players looked good when they came in from the Pens.

Lucchini with 5 pts (4G, 1A) in 8 GP and Blandisi with 4 pts (1G, 3A) in 4 GP.

Lucchini would not count as a veteran. And Blandisi would count as a "veteran exempt" because he has played more than 260 pro games but less than 320 (he's played 289 games between NHL and AHL).

Sturtz, Waked, and Luchuk can go.

But if Blandisi and Lucchini aren't back, I won't be upset either.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laval signs Brent Gates:

C/LW - 23 years old / 6'2" and 198 lbs.

He was a 3rd round pick of the Anaheim Ducks in 2015.

He played in the AHL last year, where he put up 5 pts (1G, 4A) in 20 GP. He also played in the ECHL last year for the Tulsa Oilers, where he put up 20 pts (10G, 10A) in 25 GP.

Last year was his first season in the pros. Before that, he was in the NCAA, where he played for the University of Minnesota, serving as their captain in his final season there.

So now, Laval has some ECHL depth with Nathanael Halbert, Pascal Aquin, Tobie Bisson, and now Brent Gates. And of course some others like Verbeek and Pezzetta, who spent time in the ECHL last year.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Brent Gates, another underwhelming signing, though at least he's only 23.

Too bad we lost Nikita Jevpalovs for at least this year. He was useful.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Brent Gates, another underwhelming signing, though at least he's only 23.

Too bad we lost Nikita Jevpalovs for at least this year. He was useful.

ECHL depth signing are usually underwhelming. Good players get AHL 1-way or NHL 2-way.

With all the NHL prospects coming in this year and the emergence of Veilleux, there was very little room for Jevpalovs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
ECHL depth signing are usually underwhelming. Good players get AHL 1-way or NHL 2-way.

With all the NHL prospects coming in this year and the emergence of Veilleux, there was very little room for Jevpalovs.
It was Nikita who signed in Europe, stating that he wanted to keep playing and the AHL was on delay.

Otherwise there was plenty of "room" for a guy of his skill set.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It was Nikita who signed in Europe, stating that he wanted to keep playing and the AHL was on delay.

Otherwise there was plenty of "room" for a guy of his skill set.

XXX (Hudon?) - XXX (Blandisi?) - Belzile
Veilleux - Poehling - Ylonen
Vejdemo - Dauphin - Alain
Hillis - Vigneault - Lynch
Khisatmudinov , Teasdale, Pezzetta, Verbeek, Hawel, RHP, Aquin, Gates

Room? Where?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Today is day #1 of the buy out window. Paging Karl Alzner..

No advantage except a contract spot to buy him out this year versus just burying him (we would actually lose 408k in cap space). Next year there would be cap savings (1.259m in savings).

OB5

May 2, 2015
No advantage except a contract spot to buy him out this year versus just burying him (we would actually lose 408k in cap space). Next year there would be cap savings (1.259m in savings).

This. The contract spot is the most intriguing to me and could be pretty valuable moving forward.

The savings only start next year so to me a buyout makes sense this year as the cap hit stays relatively the same, they earn a contract spot back and start seeing real savings next year.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Today is day #1 of the buy out window. Paging Karl Alzner..

I wish, but I'm sure they won't. It actually doesn't make much sense to buy him out now as if we did, his cap hit would be 3.9 million this year, where as if we leave him in the minors, his cap hit is only about 3.5 million. Plus if bought out now, we'd be paying his cap hit (although small the last 2 years) for the next 4 years. Next year could make some sense as we'd save 1.2 million on our cap (cap hit would be 2.291), but we'd have a part of his cap on the books for 2022-2023 (1.16 million)

I mean, at this point, depending on how tight we are on the cap, I'd almost be willing to leave him in the minors for the next two seasons at a 3.5 million cap hit and be done with him after the 2021-2022 season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This. The contract spot is the most intriguing to me and could be pretty valuable moving forward.

The savings only start next year so to me a buyout makes sense this year as the cap hit stays relatively the same, they earn a contract spot back and start seeing real savings next year.

We currently have 38 contracts. Spend 2 on NHL forwards and 2 on NHL D. 3 to sign or replace Ouellet, Blandisi and Hudon in the AHL. 1 for Juulsen. 1 for McNiven maybe. That would be 47. 3 spare spots with a full NHL and AHL roster.

OB5

May 2, 2015
We currently have 38 contracts. Spend 2 on NHL forwards and 2 on NHL D. 3 to sign or replace Ouellet, Blandisi and Hudon in the AHL. 1 for Juulsen. 1 for McNiven maybe. That would be 47. 3 spare spots with a full NHL and AHL roster.
Good point, I guess it's not THAT much of a necessity.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So, any predictions on how many years and for how much Mete will sign? I predict 2 years at 3.8 million.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
it will be interesting to see what the plan is with him, I assume he'll get a 1 year at 1.5M or so, maybe 2 a 1.75M per
I think looking a Mark Pysyk's previous deals would be a good indicator for what Mete should get. He played 41 games one of his first years averaging 19 minutes a night and then had a setback. Settled for 2 years at 1.15M. Then got 2.733 for 3 years in FLA.

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4