Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Not all picks work out. Mcshane and Fonstad did not work out. Other late picks have been signed like Primeau, Khisatmudinov and RHP (although RHP is AHL deal for now but we still have his right). I just don't understand your reasoning.
I don't see how McShane or Fonstad didn't work out. They had pretty good numbers in the OHL, but instead BargainBin goes and gets Sturtz, Luchuk, Blandisi and Lucchini at the deadline. Khisatmudinov has shown nothing of substance in the KHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't see how McShane or Fonstad didn't work out. They had pretty good numbers in the OHL, but instead BargainBin goes and gets Sturtz, Luchuk, Blandisi and Lucchini at the deadline. Khisatmudinov has shown nothing of substance in the KHL.

Stats don't tell the whole story. McShane is so slow that it would impede him as a pro and Fonstad is Drouin but half the skill. They both had problems and did not progress enough towards fixing them. Fonstad played in the WHL by the way.

Khisatmudinov had limited 4th line minutes in the KHL. He was pretty decent in the VHL.

Sturtz, Luchuk, Blandisi and Lucchini were acquired in contract null trade so I don't know how you think that affected anything. They were also all FA for 2020-2021 so literally no effect on McShane/Fonstad signing. They actually decided that Lucchini was more worth it than McShane/Fonstad as they re-signed him (Blandisi contract spot would have been taken by another AHL vet anyway if not him).

We'll see June 7th if any team re-draft them, sign them or give them a camp invite. My guess is they go the Walford/Tyszka route and play overage or go CIS.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Stats don't tell the whole story. McShane is so slow that it would impede him as a pro and Fonstad is Drouin but half the skill. They both had problems and did not progress enough towards fixing them. Fonstad played in the WHL by the way.

Khisatmudinov had limited 4th line minutes in the KHL. He was pretty decent in the VHL.

Sturtz, Luchuk, Blandisi and Lucchini were acquired in contract null trade so I don't know how you think that affected anything. They were also all FA for 2020-2021 so literally no effect on McShane/Fonstad signing. They actually decided that Lucchini was more worth it than McShane/Fonstad as they re-signed him (Blandisi contract spot would have been taken by another AHL vet anyway if not him).

We'll see June 7th if any team re-draft them, sign them or give them a camp invite. My guess is they go the Walford/Tyszka route and play overage or go CIS.

This did have an effect actually because BargainBin's claim was that he didn't have space to sign them all, meaning the 50 contract limit was reached. With Luchuk, Sturtz and Waked gone, which is no surprise, they could have at least tried to extend an offer to McShane or Fonstad. These are local guys, maybe not french speaking except for Samuel Houde, but you have to give them a chance after seeing improvement in their game. You are a canadian team, which is also your brand name, afterall, and the best approach is to look at your own backyard.

I wonder what other type of scrub WaiverBin will fetch this time. Seems he's getting good at recycling and retooling the bottom lines. Unfortunately when you ink plugs to ridiculous sums, you will receive equal value in return, translating to exchanging terrible contracts and hoping the player rebounds in the cap era.

Counting the qualified RFAs, they are currently at 46 contracts, that leaves 4 spots open. BargainBin already did his majour shopping unless he signs more bottom 9 scrubs to crazy dollars.

Assuming some RFAs get traded for picks or packaged for an elite top 6 forward, I could of easily tethered an offer to at least one of these CHL prospects. A case can be made as to why they chose to retain Hudon and Ouellet. Although, that is another topic for another time.

They have 11 picks at this year's draft, the farm system is getting crowded. Many of the ELC signed players are failing to meet expectations. This upcoming season will be a decisive year for many. Trading them will prove difficult. We can discuss about Hudon as an example.

We can definitely assume that management had no planning back then and desperately was throwing around ELCs to undrafted junior players, made some terrible drafting decisions and filled up Laval with reclamation projects who saw limited action in the NHL.

The Habs got lucky and got some value in picks or contract dumps for some underachievers. Now, they are basically cornered as they have drafted some pretty decent prospects that they can't hold on too.

Bottom line, don't fill up your team with plugs to please your fans and create a fake illusion of quality depth.

Although, I do believe the Habs are finally heading in the right direction and now it's a matter of shedding away dead wood in order to build something legitimate. You won't fix your mistakes by exchanging them with someone's else. And BargainBin has been doing a lot of that lately with his poor decisions and goons. Luckily, he finds ways to stockpile picks.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This did have an effect actually because BargainBin's claim was that he didn't have space to sign them all, meaning the 50 contract limit was reached. With Luchuk, Sturtz and Waked gone, which is no surprise, they could have at least tried to extend an offer to McShane or Fonstad. These are local guys, maybe not french speaking except for Samuel Houde, but you have to give them a chance after seeing improvement in their game. You are a canadian team, which is also your brand name, afterall, and the best approach is to look at your own backyard.

I wonder what other type of scrub WaiverBin will fetch this time. Seems he's getting good at recycling and retooling the bottom lines. Unfortunately when you ink plugs to ridiculous sums, you will receive equal value in return, translating to exchanging terrible contracts and hoping the player rebounds in the cap era.

Counting the qualified RFAs, they are currently at 46 contracts, that leaves 4 spots open. BargainBin already did his majour shopping unless he signs more bottom 9 scrubs to crazy dollars.

Assuming some RFAs get traded for picks or packaged for an elite top 6 forward, I could of easily tethered an offer to at least one of these CHL prospects. A case can be made as to why they chose to retain Hudon and Ouellet. Although, that is another topic for another time.

They have 11 picks at this year's draft, the farm system is getting crowded. Many of the ELC signed players are failing to meet expectations. This upcoming season will be a decisive year for many. Trading them will prove difficult. We can discuss about Hudon as an example.

We can definitely assume that management had no planning back then and desperately was throwing around ELCs to undrafted junior players, made some terrible drafting decisions and filled up Laval with reclamation projects who saw limited action in the NHL.

The Habs got lucky and got some value in picks or contract dumps for some underachievers. Now, they are basically cornered as they have drafted some pretty decent prospects that they can't hold on too.

Bottom line, don't fill up your team with plugs to please your fans and create a fake illusion of quality depth.

You don't understand how contract spots work. McShane and co deal would have started in 2020-2021, meaning Sturtz and co contract are off the book.

McShane, Fonstad and Houde are not as good as you think they are. Go read about them instead of just referring to the stats.

Anyway, I'm done banging my head on this wall.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
You don't understand how contract spots work. McShane and co deal would have started in 2020-2021, meaning Sturtz and co contract are off the book.

McShane, Fonstad and Houde are not as good as you think they are. Go read about them instead of just referring to the stats.

Anyway, I'm done banging my head on this wall.

Please do tell how contract spots work exactly. If you signed them in June, they would count for the upcoming season like Harris, Khisatmudinov, etc. With all the signings, they are at 46 right now to start 2020-2021.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So here are what each player's QO is:

Max Domi
domi qo.png

Charles Hudon
hudon qo.png

Noah Juulsen
juulsen qo.png

Victor Mete
mete qo.png

Xavier Ouellet
ouellet qo.png

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Please do tell how contract spots work exactly. If you signed them in June, they would count for the upcoming season like Harris, Khisatmudinov, etc. With all the signings, they are at 46 right now to start 2020-2021.

You don't understand the word "I am done"?

And I already explained that earlier. They signed/re-signed other guys like Lucchini, Vejdemo and Khisatmudinov because they think those guys are better than McShane/Fonstad/Houde.

Anyway, bye.

Reactions: dralaf

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
You don't understand the word "I am done"?

And I already explained that earlier. They signed/re-signed other guys like Lucchini, Vejdemo and Khisatmudinov because they think those guys are better than McShane/Fonstad/Houde.

Anyway, bye.
Why do you keep replying to me is the question here. If you think they are not good, they are not. It doesn't mean I need to agree with you. I just stated my opinion. You should work on those anger issues. Enough said. Have a great Sunday.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Why do you keep replying to me is the question here. If you think they are not good, they are not. It doesn't mean I need to agree with you. I just stated my opinion. You should work on those anger issues. Enough said. Have a great Sunday.
I think people are settling in with the fact that no one will sign with us, and the players that have to, via offer sheet or trade, are not going to be happy campers... Laine? LMFAO! He’s probably begging his management “Anywhere but the Canadiens!”

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I think people are settling in with the fact that no one will sign with us, and the players that have to, via offer sheet or trade, are not going to be happy campers... Laine? LMFAO! He’s probably begging his management “Anywhere but the Canadiens!”

Just like Edmundson and Petry refused to sign with us :sarcasm:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well if you sign scrubs and trade them for pylons all the time, that kind of happens. There are plenty of RFAs to sign next year. Many will have a make of or break it year, although Hudon is still here.

well MB sucks at his job and doesn't appear to have any vision what else is new.

They have been mostly poor with undrafted UFA's, there was no reason to sign Waked, Alain, Verbeek imo and we'll see if RHP and Teasdale are more of the same or not as both have skating/speed issues which in today's NHL is a big hill to climb as Hudon is finding out. I don't see McShane being worth signing as I don't like the skating or the effort, I liked him better then Houde who his shot but not much else. I don't see room or need for either as this team can no longer afford to throw away spots on the 50 with 3 year ELC's since it's not about next summer but having those contracts there in years 2 and 3 when we might need the space.

I liked Fonstad more but same can be said for Tyszka. I'd rather have Fonstad then Alain or Verbeek but not by much as he's so easy to push off the puck. I would have signed him and put him in the ECHL but I don't think it's a big deal not to sign him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
well MB sucks at his job and doesn't appear to have any vision what else is new.

They have been mostly poor with undrafted UFA's, there was no reason to sign Waked, Alain, Verbeek imo and we'll see if RHP and Teasdale are more of the same or not as both have skating/speed issues which in today's NHL is a big hill to climb as Hudon is finding out. I don't see McShane being worth signing as I don't like the skating or the effort, I liked him better then Houde who his shot but not much else. I don't see room or need for either as this team can no longer afford to throw away spots on the 50 with 3 year ELC's since it's not about next summer but having those contracts there in years 2 and 3 when we might need the space.

I liked Fonstad more but same can be said for Tyszka. I'd rather have Fonstad then Alain or Verbeek but not by much as he's so easy to push off the puck. I would have signed him and put him in the ECHL but I don't think it's a big deal not to sign him.

Waked was signed before the 2017 draft. Alain and Verbeek were signed before the 2018 draft. They were all signed before the prospect pool got filled up again. And they were all ready to hit the pros when they got signed, whereas the prospects just drafted were not. Now they can be more selective since their prospect pool is full and they prioritize signing their own prospects.

You still get the Teasdales and Leskinens who are signed as an undrafted UFA's, but at least they can be more selective now than when they signed Waked, Alain, and Verbeek.

Although I think the ship has sailed on these guys, I do wonder if Habs can reach out to any of the prospects they let go of and sign them to an AHL/ECHL deal.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Waked was signed before the 2017 draft. Alain and Verbeek were signed before the 2018 draft. They were all signed before the prospect pool got filled up again. And they were all ready to hit the pros when they got signed, whereas the prospects just drafted were not. Now they can be more selective since their prospect pool is full and they prioritize signing their own prospects.

You still get the Teasdales and Leskinens who are signed as an undrafted UFA's, but at least they can be more selective now than when they signed Waked, Alain, and Verbeek.

Although I think the ship has sailed on these guys, I do wonder if Habs can reach out to any of the prospects they let go of and sign them to an AHL/ECHL deal.

of course i'm aware of when they were signed, they weren't worth a spot on the 50 no matter how our system looked. They have done very poor job signing undrafted FA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad