GDT: Habs' 2015 Golf Tournament: Captain will be named & Galchenyuk to play C per Bergevin

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
What has poor Gallagher done to deserve being demoted on the third line? I can get wanting Semin to play with Galchenyuk, but Kassian will need to demonstrate he can do more than Gally if he hopes playing ahead of him in our depth chart.

Too many hockey fans just see Gallagher's size and ignores how important of a hockey player he is for us. He gets the puck to the net. He gets to dangerous areas on the ice. He never quits. Every line he plays on, he makes that line better.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Are there really some journalists who have Plekanec on the third line to start the season ? Like, people that are actually paid to cover hockey ? :help:
Anyone who doesn't realize the amount of stuff Pleky does every game that help us win just doesn't understand how hockey is played in 2015.Have Chuck and DD be the top two centers and see how well THAT goes...

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Too many hockey fans just see Gallagher's size and ignores how important of a hockey player he is for us. He gets the puck to the net. He gets to dangerous areas on the ice. He never quits. Every line he plays on, he makes that line better.

And undermine his ability. He may not be a pure skill player, but you don't score close to 25G and 50pts on effort alone.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
The problem I see here is what line is used when. Which of the first two lines takes on some defensive duties? By most accounts, Galchenyuk's defense still needs some work, so it woulld be Plekanec's line, but then you have Semin playing defense, which isn't optimal. That's why you need Galchenyuk and Semin on the same line.

I have heard alot of Caps and Canes fans say that Semin is actually incredibly responsible and capable defensively. I think the effort questions with him are mostly in the offensive zone and with pushing the attack? Could be wrong but if Semin is actually a solid defender...having him and Pacioretty line up with Galchenyuk would help shelter him until he gets acclimated fully to the position.

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
As much as we rail on Desharnais. I think his creativity might just mesh well with Eller. Put DSP on the line and it adds additional size and physicality, which proved to help offset the limitations of DD. Kassian may also work, but unless one of the kids from Hamilton steps up, we're too thin on left wing to not put Semin there. I know some are penciling in DLR as a third liner, but personally, I don't feel he adds enough offense to work.

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Kassian/Gallagher
Semin - Plekanec - Kassian/Gallagher
Desharnais - Eller - DSP
DLR - Mitchell - Weise

I think you're right about DLR, but would maybe argue the same thing for DSP. Sadly, I think Weise might be the most offensively competent third line winger option we have if Semin moves to left wing.

The main reason i would split up Kassian and Plekanec is that I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where those two people would like each other. Just imagine all those shots on the bench where Kassian is mouthing something inane and Plekanec is just giving him the 1000 mile stare. Plekanec doesn't strike me as someone who suffers fools lightly, and Kassian, by all accounts, seems to do and say alot of foolish things.

NewHabsEra*

What has poor Gallagher done to deserve being demoted on the third line? I can get wanting Semin to play with Galchenyuk, but Kassian will need to demonstrate he can do more than Gally if he hopes playing ahead of him in our depth chart.

Patch Galchenyuk Semin

DLR Eller Gallagher

Hudon Plekanec Kassian

Weise Mitchell DSP

Is it better like this? The difference between the second and third line is very slim, I put Gallagher with Eller and DLR cause I cant see 3 undersized fowards on the same line, I just think Gallagher is a better fit with 2 big north south guys while Kassian brings a physical presence on the Pleks line..

Nynja*

The problem I see here is what line is used when.

Instead of making three lines that all have strengths and weaknesses, make three lines that you have the confidence to send out at any time that can push the play to the other end of the ice no matter who the opposition sends out there. Giving "defensive" and "offensive" roles means when these "offensive lines" go cold, you're screwed because your other lines arent built to score goals.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
DD getting shopped. Subban for C.

4424071f1a1efcfbc22c660387f4531f8e35c646aaa1b439eaa97fa747a3a5db_:original

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
I have heard alot of Caps and Canes fans say that Semin is actually incredibly responsible and capable defensively. I think the effort questions with him are mostly in the offensive zone and with pushing the attack? Could be wrong but if Semin is actually a solid defender...having him and Pacioretty line up with Galchenyuk would help shelter him until he gets acclimated fully to the position.

I've heard that as well. If that's the case, then the mentionned line up is probably fine. However, we brought Semin to score goals. As such, I'd still be inclined to give him sheltered offensive minutes. We know Pacioretty is gonna score a bunch no matter how he's used.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I've heard that as well. If that's the case, then the mentionned line up is probably fine. However, we brought Semin to score goals. As such, I'd still be inclined to give him sheltered offensive minutes. We know Pacioretty is gonna score a bunch no matter how he's used.

I'd want Semin and Galchenyuk together and match them up against 2nd pairings at home and try to get the same on the road. At least until teams counter it if they take off. Either way, separating Semin and Pacioretty is good for the team.

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
Instead of making three lines that all have strengths and weaknesses, make three lines that you have the confidence to send out at any time that can push the play to the other end of the ice no matter who the opposition sends out there. Giving "defensive" and "offensive" roles means when these "offensive lines" go cold, you're screwed because your other lines arent built to score goals.

That's another philosophy, and it could certainly work, but I tend to disagree. Every player has facets of the game he's more skilled at. Why not put them in situations where their talents are best used? It's optimizing your skill.

For example, Galchenyuk is a young new center that, while offensively gifted, might still need some work on his defense. It makes little sense to put his line on for important d-zone faceoffs. What's more, you have Eller and Plekanec who are very good in these situations. It only makes sense to use them more then.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Patch Galchenyuk Semin

DLR Eller Gallagher

Hudon Plekanec Kassian

Weise Mitchell DSP

Is it better like this? The difference between the second and third line is very slim, I put Gallagher with Eller and DLR cause I cant see 3 undersized fowards on the same line, I just think Gallagher is a better fit with 2 big north south guys while Kassian brings a physical presence on the Pleks line..

I see your point in trying to balance line size, which is not that easy I admit. I think however that the difference will be slimmer between the 1st and 2nd line than between the 2nd and 3rd line. Galchenyuk's line will get most of the offensive opportunities, Plekanec's line will get a lot of ice time in all kinds of situations, and Eller's line will mostly get defensive responsibilities.

Either way we both agree Gallagher has no business playing on the 3rd line, regardless of who is centering it.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Pierre Lebrun said today that Bergevin told Galchenyuk that he was going to be a center back in june. So it does sound like a permanent change.

Nynja*

That's another philosophy, and it could certainly work, but I tend to disagree. Every player has facets of the game he's more skilled at. Why not put them in situations where their talents are best used? It's optimizing your skill.

For example, Galchenyuk is a young new center that, while offensively gifted, might still need some work on his defense. It makes little sense to put his line on for important d-zone faceoffs. What's more, you have Eller and Plekanec who are very good in these situations. It only makes sense to use them more then.

Obviously in a 1 goal game with 60 seconds to go, sending Chuck out for a DZone draw wouldnt be the proper course of action.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Pierre Lebrun said today that Bergevin told Galchenyuk that he was going to be a center back in june. So it does sound like a permanent change.

Yea apparently they wanted him to know at the start of the summer so he could train the whole time in preparation

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

And he's a beast defensively.

Quietly thinking that he's better than Patches defensively.

When was the last time the kid made a mistake ?

He's our Callahan, but better.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Are there really some journalists who have Plekanec on the third line to start the season ? Like, people that are actually paid to cover hockey ? :help:
Anyone who doesn't realize the amount of stuff Pleky does every game that help us win just doesn't understand how hockey is played in 2015.Have Chuck and DD be the top two centers and see how well THAT goes...

Actually, having Plekanec on the third line would not be that crazy.

Let him take on the full defensive duty with DLR and Semin. First line PGG, Second line EDDKASS with soft matchups. Can Eller thrive in soft matchups ? He'd be the best bet with DD and Kassian, but these two thrive with soft as marshmallow matchups. Is that wasting Eller's potential defensively AND Plekanec's potential offensively ? Hear me out.

Plekanec WILL produce no matter with whom or where you put him. Give the "bottom 6" the defensive duties, AKA Mitchell and Plek who are really strong defensively and give Galchenyuk and Eller the softer matchups. Our only weak players defensively are Galchenyuk, Kassian and DD. DD and Galchenyuk has produced in harder roles, but not as a C. DD as a winger matters less and Kassian absolutely needs to be sheltered defensively. So we have two players who need "shelter". Be that as it may, Kassian and Galchenyuk should be with offensive players to succeed. Plekanec ? Who gives a damn. The guys has been producing alone since Cammy left in 2012. 3 seasons in a row he's been alone and he's been producing 50 points.

Kraniumm

Hanshan
Jan 1, 2015
BC

Let him take on the full defensive duty with DLR and Semin. First line PGG, Second line EDDKASS with soft matchups. Can Eller thrive in soft matchups ? He'd be the best bet with DD and Kassian, but these two thrive with soft as marshmallow matchups. Is that wasting Eller's potential defensively AND Plekanec's potential offensively ? Hear me out.

Plekanec WILL produce no matter with whom or where you put him. Give the "bottom 6" the defensive duties, AKA Mitchell and Plek who are really strong defensively and give Galchenyuk and Eller the softer matchups. Our only weak players defensively are Galchenyuk, Kassian and DD. DD and Galchenyuk has produced in harder roles, but not as a C. DD as a winger matters less and Kassian absolutely needs to be sheltered defensively. So we have two players who need "shelter". Be that as it may, Kassian and Galchenyuk should be with offensive players to succeed. Plekanec ? Who gives a damn. The guys has been producing alone since Cammy left in 2012. 3 seasons in a row he's been alone and he's been producing 50 points.

Exactly this. Especially my bold.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

The guy is a beauty. He has special talent and speed combined to give you a valuable piece of a winning team. Ask Sydney Crosby what he thinks of Plekanics ability?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I think you're right about DLR, but would maybe argue the same thing for DSP. Sadly, I think Weise might be the most offensively competent third line winger option we have if Semin moves to left wing.

The main reason i would split up Kassian and Plekanec is that I can't for the life of me imagine a scenario where those two people would like each other. Just imagine all those shots on the bench where Kassian is mouthing something inane and Plekanec is just giving him the 1000 mile stare. Plekanec doesn't strike me as someone who suffers fools lightly, and Kassian, by all accounts, seems to do and say alot of foolish things.

While true, I think DSP can offer something to a Desharnais/Eller line due to his size, whereas DLR is better suited to defensive roles. That, and I would like to see what we actually have in DSP. If he continues to struggle all season, then we can shift things around.

Plekanec is a difficult guy to pair line combinations for. He seems to have very narrowed chemistry. While I do like Gallagher with Galchenyuk, I think it may be better to put Kassian on the top line and Gally with Plek. Again, we can always shuffle things around depending on how things are going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad