Recalled/Assigned: Gustav Nyquist

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Doesn't change the fact he hasn't played all that well since going down. He isn't making much of a case for himself down there, so it is getting a little tiring to see people say how much he would impact this roster. He is having little impact compared to what he was doing in the AHL before he came up. What he will play better at the NHL level? Please.

He played awesome in the NHL, was sent down to the AHL and is playing crappy hockey there, and somehow that means he wouldn't come back to the NHL and play well again? What?

Its not like he got traded to a different team and is sucking now. He was demoted to a different league. Its a slap in the face, and frankly, it was a disrespectful move by an organization that prides itself on being the class of the league. The guy outproduced and outperformed several players on this roster who are plugs and have no hope of getting better. Its not like he got demoted because Zetterberg came off IR or because Lucky Luc came out of an epic scoring slump. Its not like he's an immature prima donna 19 year old who hasn't put in his time riding the bus yet. Its not like he played well for just a game or two.

In many cases, sure, playing crappy in the AHL should preclude you from an NHL call up. But when playing awesome in the NHL earned you a trip back to the AHL, what's the point? I think its pretty obvious he knows now that he'll get his promotion when the red tape is cut and the politiics are favorable.

Actual Thought*

Nyquist is also a player that should enjoy the move to the more high scoring east.
Except for the fact that he is a pygmy who is strong on skill and weak on his skates. I don't think he can handles the rigors if life in the NHL long term.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Except for the fact that he is a pygmy who is strong on skill and weak on his skates. I don't think he can handles the rigors if life in the NHL long term.

If I had a dollar for every time this was said about a guy who had a great career...

I could probably pay for Martin St. Louis' contract. ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Jim Nill said Zetterberg is actually 160lbs soaking wet last week during his introduction in Dallas. So they fudge that weight just as an example.

He is strong on his skates, maybe you haven't noticed the improvement but it shows month to month and in two years this will be something nobody talks about and we will laugh at the people that brought it up all the time. Like Bench said there are plenty of people that have made a career out of being small and quick. If you have the hockey IQ and tenacity it pans out and he has those in spades.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Jim Nill said Zetterberg is actually 160lbs soaking wet last week during his introduction in Dallas. So they fudge that weight just as an example.

He is strong on his skates, maybe you haven't noticed the improvement but it shows month to month and in two years this will be something nobody talks about and we will laugh at the people that brought it up all the time. Like Bench said there are plenty of people that have made a career out of being small and quick. If you have the hockey IQ and tenacity it pans out and he has those in spades.

Nyquist wouldn't be on a Babcock roster if he was weak on his skates.

His speed is a weapon and I'm glad he's on the team. Wings need that.

jroc86

Jun 12, 2012
I want Tatar up as much as the next guy ... but as for Cleary being the one getting demoted - in a greasy/dragout/physical grind as this series is likely to be I dont want Cleary to go anywhere.

If we survive and meet Vancouver or Chicago next round and the play favors more of a gunslinging wide-open style and Tatar puts together a few solid games then by all means suit him up IMO.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I want Tatar up as much as the next guy ... but as for Cleary being the one getting demoted - in a greasy/dragout/physical grind as this series is likely to be I dont want Cleary to go anywhere.

If we survive and meet Vancouver or Chicago next round and the play favors more of a gunslinging wide-open style and Tatar puts together a few solid games then by all means suit him up IMO.

This isn't 2009. Have you watched many games? Dan Cleary does not hit or check. He glides into an opposing player and extends his arms. And does some pushing. He is a good net front presence I guess.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Doesn't change the fact he hasn't played all that well since going down. He isn't making much of a case for himself down there, so it is getting a little tiring to see people say how much he would impact this roster. He is having little impact compared to what he was doing in the AHL before he came up. What he will play better at the NHL level? Please.

Well he doesn't have Joakim Andersson centering him down in the A. ;)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This isn't 2009. Have you watched many games? Dan Cleary does not hit or check. He glides into an opposing player and extends his arms. And does some pushing. He is a good net front presence I guess.

Tatar cant even score in the AHL right now, while Cleary was bad all season he has always been a playoff guy and has 2 points in 2 games.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

But he has scored a goal in game1 and got a great assist yesterday. These raging bon**s for Tatar are creepy. He will get a shot. Just not this year.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tatar cant even score in the AHL right now, while Cleary was bad all season he has always been a playoff guy and has 2 points in 2 games.

Does getting a shot off the gloves and making one play over two games while being completely useless otherwise constitute being a worthwhile player now? :help::help::help:

These raging bon**s for Tatar are creepy. He will get a shot. Just not this year.

I know right? What a bunch of weirdos for recognizing that Tatar is a better player than Cleary and for wanting to ice the strongest possible team.

Crazy kids.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Does getting a shot off the gloves and making one play over two games while being completely useless otherwise constitute being a worthwhile player now? :help::help::help:

I know right? What a bunch of weirdos for recognizing that Tatar is a better player than Cleary and for wanting to ice the strongest possible team.

Crazy kids.

I know. I hope Captain Bob chimes in and shows how effective/productive Tats was during his stint with the Wings despite the lack of TOI.

IMO, Tatar is arguably the 5th or 6th most offensively talented player. Not counting other prospects.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

Crazy kids.

Lol, I get what you are saying. Cleary sucks, obviously. But he still has some use. And Tatar does not replace a player like Cleary, Bert, or Abby. They are different types of players. It just seems like people ignore that you can't just put a bunch a small skilled guys out there.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

I have a family friend that is an exec of an Olympia division and has been around the guys a lot over the years. A couple things he's mentioned that stick out are that, at 6'1, he feels like he's definitely more than an inch taller than Kronwall, whereas he feels like Datsyuk is closer to his height.

CloneHakanPlease*

Why do people still think Bertuzzi and Cleary are physical players. I don't get it. I guess Bertuzzi is physical in a Mats Sundin knda way but both are primarily perimeter players except for when they play the front of the net role on the powerplay ala Holmstrom. One is good to give Abdelkader a break on the 2nd pp unit both both is just overkill and superfluous in my opinion.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Crazy kids.

The things that crazy is Cleary has actually got a couple points so far in this series and Tatar cant do that in the AHL. You guys all get hard over these young guys but I actually watch them (theres a few others as well). Tatar has been brutal in the AHL, you dont get a shot in the NHL playoffs playing the wya he has been down there.

I dont think Cleary is great by any means but hes played well these 2 games and I actually have watched Tatar play lately, so ya thinking he would improve the team right now is pretty crazy

Aug 6, 2012
The things that crazy is Cleary has actually got a couple points so far in this series and Tatar cant do that in the AHL. You guys all get hard over these young guys but I actually watch them (theres a few others as well). Tatar has been brutal in the AHL, you dont get a shot in the NHL playoffs playing the wya he has been down there.

I dont think Cleary is great by any means but hes played well these 2 games and I actually have watched Tatar play lately, so ya thinking he would improve the team right now is pretty crazy

What about his play in the NHL beforehand?

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

Exactly!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
What about his play in the NHL beforehand?

His play in the NHL he looked dangerous out there and played pretty damn good but still only put up 4 goals in 18 games and hes never played a game in the NHL playoffs, whereas Cleary has always been known to step it up in the playoffs.

If he went down and dominated the AHL like most of think he can/should he would probably be playing right now but hes been pretty terrible down there.

18 NHL regular season games is barely long enough to get a good idea of a guy, like someone has mentioned most guys will run on adrenaline for the first 10 games. Playoffs is completely different

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The problem is Tatar deserved more than 18 games. He was a spark plug out there and deserved a regular slot in the lineup before the playoffs.

And I don't buy that he would have had a shot in the playoffs. I think once he went down, he was staying down, regardless of production.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
does anyone know if our offense (scoring wise) was better when tatar was up ?

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
does anyone know if our offense (scoring wise) was better when tatar was up ?

It was basically the same. 2.55 G/G during Tatar's 18 games versus 2.54 over the entire 48 game season.

Our record was also 8-6-4, right on par with the rest of our season. It's probably too small of a sample to look that deep into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad