Recalled/Assigned: Gustav Nyquist

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
And all three are markedly better than Filppula. I dont think we can expect last year's production from him every year.

Because? If Babcock plays him on the wing where he belongs with a competent center, the drop off shouldn't be that big compared to last year.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I think it may be my Newfoundlander bias showing but I wouldn't mind Cleary back on a 1 year 1 -1.5M million contract, he could play on the 4th line and still contribute a bit. He's had the most up & down career of anybody on our team & I think that experience will help out the younger guys we have coming up.

I'd be okay with that, only IF Holland waives/ buys out Bertuzzi AND Samuelsson! There is my stipulation:laugh:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
:laugh:

Guess that means no Cleary for us next year. Are we even going to use those buyouts on anyone? My guess would be no but...

Buyouts aren't very Holland-esque. Buying someone out is basically admitting you fudged up, which isn't something Holland does often (nor I imagine he would be very readily able to admit)

RedWingsNow*

Buyouts aren't very Holland-esque. Buying someone out is basically admitting you fudged up, which isn't something Holland does often (nor I imagine he would be very readily able to admit)

Not that I think Holland will buy anyone out, but after the last lockout, he bought out Hatcher,Whitney and McCarty.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I believe he bought out Ray Whitney and Derian Hatcher's contracts last lock out.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He has some nice moves, but not much to show for it.

I think he will have something to show. The top scorer in the AHL at one time this season, and with the way ice hockey is advancing he is keeping pace. I could be wrong and he busts but I got this feeling, he is sooo close. With our without us he will be an NHL player. Top 6 on the DRW? Don't know but I like the idea of continuing to keep him as an option.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
He has some nice moves, but not much to show for it.

When looking at young players, the way they play trumps how many points they produce. This is how you best can determine how a player will produce several years from now. Not really a groundbreaking statement, but people are too caught up in points.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
When looking at young players, the way they play trumps how many points they produce. This is how you best can determine how a player will produce several years from now. Not really a groundbreaking statement, but people are too caught up in points.

I like Tatar's game better.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This kid can (literally) dominate a shift, when will the production come?
I went back and watched some of his shifts from the last few games. Basically, we're not seeing much production because it's not so much that his line is good—it's that he's good and he's on that line.

The main problem is that Nyquist has nowhere to go with the puck after he wins the battle for the puck. Committing himself to the battle in the first place usually means that he isn't open to do a ton with it because he's got a defenseman on his back and he's not the strongest. What Nyquist needs is for Brunner, Andersson, or one of the defensemen to be in good position to receive a pass and generate a chance. They rarely are, and consequently they rarely do.

It's hard to pin too much blame on Brunner because he's adapting to the NA schedule and playing more games than ever, but he does a very, very poor job of getting open for scoring chances. He can't seem to slip his man most of the time, and sometimes it seems like he doesn't even really try. For the line to work, Brunner has to get open and ready to let his ridiculous shot go.

It's not really Andersson's fault either, but he's not helping. Particularly in this last game (but in the previous ones as well), Andy has backchecked very hard. He's almost been like a third defenseman. The problem is that he's not very quick and he usually isn't back into the play in time to be of much help to Nyquist and Brunner.

The defenseman have been a bit odd this season. There's some statistic out there that says in the last little bit, Detroit's defensemen have been just terrible in terms of offensive production. and you can see it on the ice. The defensemen are generally playing very conservative and bailing on the play to leave the zone and keep things safe. I think the only guy who's consistently trying to make a pinch at the blue line is Smith, but he's obviously having a lot of trouble right now. So with the d-men bailing on the play so often, Nyquist has two fewer guys to pass to.

What all this amounts to is a LOT of plays that go like this: Nyquist forechecks hard, gains the puck... has nobody to pass to, and the play goes the other way. Another variation is instead of nobody to pass to, it's Brunner... except he's right next to a defenseman and loses the battle and the puck right away. The line rarely maintains possession, it seems like.

So anyway, I think that's why the Nyquist line isn't really working out right now. Nyquist looks awesome, but nobody else on that line is doing much of anything offensively.

RedWingsNow*

I think he will have something to show. The top scorer in the AHL at one time this season, and with the way ice hockey is advancing he is keeping pace. I could be wrong and he busts but I got this feeling, he is sooo close. With our without us he will be an NHL player. Top 6 on the DRW? Don't know but I like the idea of continuing to keep him as an option.

Agreed.
He needs to work on his shot. He had an eon with the puck yesterday and walked it in from the edge of the face off ciricle...It was probably the most dangerous chance we had all night because he had all kinds of time and nobody touched him

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I think he's not 100% adjusted to NHL playoff speed. Seemed like he's slightly rushed to make play instead of carrying the play. He showed some patience and nice drive but I think he can do more. Guys like Nyquist is so used to carrying the play that I think it's an important factor.

also he could work on accuracy of his shot tiny bit more. he needs to trust his shot.

though, Nyquist is least of our problem IMO.

TheNextDaigle

Mar 1, 2013
Tatar's game is what the Wings are in need of most.

It boggles the mind they sent him down.

Yeah, how on earth did they come to the conclusion that he didn´t deserve to stay put among the big boys? I think he can turn into one of our best absolutely best players in a few years if everything goes right...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't agree with him going down although Nyquist is currently the better player would prefer they carried both Tatar and Nyquist. With that said, I can tell you why he hasn't come back. Tatar has not played well since going down, he has not been dangerous all that often, he scored in the last playoff game maybe scoring a couple tonight would put him back on the radar. But simply put Tatar isn't playing very good hockey right now at the AHL level, so complain and whine all you want, but know that he hasn't put on the best case for getting sent back up. Ferraro, Mursak and even Jurco have all played better than him for the last month.

Ferraro is probably the most interesting callup right now, not that they would ever do it. Fabulous pk guy that just lead the AHL in shorthanded points and plays the game with a great pace and a hard accurate shot.

RedWingsNow*

The reason Tatar isn't here is because they sent him down for Nyquist and there are no spaces left.
I don't agree with him going down although Nyquist is currently the better player would prefer they carried both Tatar and Nyquist. With that said, I can tell you why he hasn't come back. Tatar has not played well since going down, he has not been dangerous all that often, he scored in the last playoff game maybe scoring a couple tonight would put him back on the radar. But simply put Tatar isn't playing very good hockey right now at the AHL level, so complain and whine all you want, but know that he hasn't put on the best case for getting sent back up. Ferraro, Mursak and even Jurco have all played better than him for the last month.

Ferraro is probably the most interesting callup right now, not that they would ever do it. Fabulous pk guy that just lead the AHL in shorthanded points and plays the game with a great pace and a hard accurate shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad