Recalled/Assigned: Gustav Nyquist

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Not surprised to see him sent back to GR, given how fast he was banished from the 2nd line (when nobody there was doing anything early) to play on Abby's wing (or, the place where offensive talent goes to die). :(

Probably see him back up soon, with our roster of older forwards and the compressed schedule following a short camp leading to a lot of injuries. Just hope he keeps playing well in GR, keeps his confidence up, and does well the next time in Detroit (would help if Babs doesn't demote him so fast down the lineup, either).

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
Sorry, but i want all the old and slow players off of the roster.

Sammy is a good option for depth scoring if we're going to try and run three scoring lines. The problem with that is that it means that Helm needs to be the fourth-line center full-time, which may or may not happen. Maybe something like this with a healthy lineup:

Nyquist-Z-Brunner
Franzen-Dats-Samuelsson
Cleary/Miller-Filppula-Eaves
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

One or two of Bertuzzi/Cleary/Miller/Emmerton/Mursak

I could definitely get behind this lineup, and think it would succeed.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Not surprised to see him sent back to GR, given how fast he was banished from the 2nd line (when nobody there was doing anything early) to play on Abby's wing (or, the place where offensive talent goes to die). :(

Probably see him back up soon, with our roster of older forwards and the compressed schedule following a short camp leading to a lot of injuries. Just hope he keeps playing well in GR, keeps his confidence up, and does well the next time in Detroit (would help if Babs doesn't demote him so fast down the lineup, either).

Good point, he's been so dominant in the A you wouldn't want to keep him on Abdelkader's wing and risk destroying his confidence with his first extended NHL action. I pretty much always want to see our prospects get NHL action but in this case with GR actually being good he's probably better off down there.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Sammy is a good option for depth scoring if we're going to try and run three scoring lines. The problem with that is that it means that Helm needs to be the fourth-line center full-time, which may or may not happen. Maybe something like this with a healthy lineup:

Nyquist-Z-Brunner
Franzen-Dats-Samuelsson
Cleary/Miller-Filppula-Eaves
Abdelkader-Helm-Tootoo

One or two of Bertuzzi/Cleary/Miller/Emmerton/Mursak

I could definitely get behind this lineup, and think it would succeed.

Hoping Cleary-Fil-Eaves can manage to be a scoring line at this point seems like a pipe dream. Just because Fil is centering it won't make it a scoring line, I don't think.

Filppula-Zetterberg-Brunner
Cleary-Datsyuk-Franzen
Nyquist-Helm-Sammy

Maybe something like that could get the ball rolling.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Good point, he's been so dominant in the A you wouldn't want to keep him on Abdelkader's wing and risk destroying his confidence with his first extended NHL action. I pretty much always want to see our prospects get NHL action but in this case with GR actually being good he's probably better off down there.

... which is what a couple of us have been saying for a while now. :D

Next year I fully expect Nyquist and Tatar to be on the team, and at least two of Mursak*, Emmerton*, Eaves, Miller, Samuelsson*, Bertuzzi, and Cleary* to be gone.

* - denotes my preferences, in no particular order.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Why didn't Nyquist play last night?
Not-Sure-If.jpg

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
He did, but he didn't look very good

Playing one game here and there with barely any minutes doesn't give you a chance to get adjusted. The NHL is faster, harder, more skilled by a lot. Not only his competition but his teammates. That takes getting used to.

Give the kid some damn consistent time, like 5-10 games. See if there's any change. If not, then send him packing.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
A great way to get a young offensive forward acclimated to the NHL is to play him on an NHL grind line, or stick him in the AHL for his third year running. :sarcasm:

Babcock has zero clue how to handle helping skilled offensive forwards make the transition to the NHL.

Probert

Feb 27, 2008
Boston, MA
Gus and Tommy Boy were both sent down to GR primarily so they could play in tonight's game. There is no reason they can't be called up if needed for Friday.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
A great way to get a young offensive forward acclimated to the NHL is to play him on an NHL grind line, or stick him in the AHL for his third year running. :sarcasm:

Babcock has zero clue how to handle helping skilled offensive forwards make the transition to the NHL.

at least Babcock's finally starting to give Smith some PP time instead of just PK

in any case we'll see what's happening with Nyquist on Friday,no reason for him not to play in Grand Rapids tonight even if he's playing on Friday really

that said I don't exactly have a good feeling about it

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan

Right. Mike Babcock has zero clue how coach players. He is an idiot and knows nothing about hockey... come on man. Why aren't you coaching in the NHL then? I'm truly curious.

From what I saw last night, Nyquist was playing on the second line with Filpula. That is not a grind line. No lines did anything last night, so Babs changed the lines up. It happens.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Right. Mike Babcock has zero clue how coach players. He is an idiot and knows nothing about hockey... come on man.

From what I saw last night, Nyquist was playing on the second line with Filpula. That is not a grind line. No lines did anything last night, so Babs changed the lines up. It happens.

that line barely even got a chance to play though

right from the start of the game it was barely being played at all

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Right. Mike Babcock has zero clue how coach players. He is an idiot and knows nothing about hockey... come on man. Why aren't you coaching in the NHL then? I'm truly curious.

They changed those lines at the end of 2nd period and then the lines were:

Franzen - Zeta - Brunner
Filppula - Dats - Cleary
Nyquist - AKader - Eaves

I really liked about these lines, because, first of all, separating Datsyuk to his own line apparently inspired him to play better.

Also, that 3rd line is not any kind of cheking line, it's just a line with power-center Abdelkader like Nyquist has had in AHL as Andersson or Sheahan. And it also has a Tatar-like grinder-scorer Eaves. I think it was more familiar environment for him to play with those same type of guys like his AHL-linemates are than at 2nd line with Filppula.

I hope they'll continue with that 3rd line.

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
They changed those lines at the end of 2nd period and then the lines were:

Franzen - Zeta - Brunner
Filppula - Dats - Cleary
Nyquist - AKader - Eaves

I really liked about these lines, because, first of all, separating Datsyuk to his own line apparently inspired him to play better.

Also, that 3rd line is not any kind of cheking line, it's just a line with power-center Abdelkader like Nyquist has had in AHL as Andersson or Sheahan. And it also has a Tatar-like grinder-scorer Eaves. I think it was more familiar environment for him to play with those same type of guys like his AHL-linemates are than at 2nd line with Filppula.

I hope they'll continue with that 3rd line.

I agree, except with Helm at third line center. Also, I'd be interested to see Dats play with brunner. I think he would bring out Brunners "nose for the puck" even more. Nyquist would be solid on the third line. Even though Nyquist didn't stand out much last night, he was still more noticeable then Samuelsson against Columbus.

DRWCountryClub

Jun 28, 2010
Coincidentally, those 3 are all primary PK forwards. Wonder if them getting so much IT might have something to do this that?
:sarcasm:

Highly doubt it, considering the Wings took two penalties through the first 40 minutes, but keep rolling with that theory.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I agree, except with Helm at third line center.
Yeah, meant these lines with current guys we have, when Helm in injured. It's a totally different story when he comes back.

For the first 2 periods Nyquist was playing on the 3rd line with Filppula. Based on Icetime the second line was Abdelkader, Cleary and Miller.

The line with Filppula is the 2nd line and the line with Abdelkader is the 3rd line, no matter what the icetimes are.

But still, there were quite of differencies because of the line suffling.

Datsyuk 22min
Zetterberg 22min
Brunner 20min
---------------
Franzen 19min
Cleary 18min
Filppula 17min
Miller 14min
Abdelkader 14min
Nyquist 12min
----------------
Eaves 8min
Tootoo 8
Emmerton 7min

I would say, there was a clear top line, and a clear 4th line. But that middle six was pretty suffled.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad